Thread: Inherited a small box of fountain pens

Thanks

Default Inherited a small box of fountain pens

Hello. First time posting here. Wanted to come here to show what they are. They are in very apparent used fashion. The brands are Eversharp, WA Sheaffer, Morrison, Watermans, Fineline, Parkers, Esterbrook and Eagle. I honestly don't know much about fountain pens and look forward to any insight and feedback received. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 597 Posts

Default Re: Inherited a small box of fountain pens

Welcome!
    The black and pearl pen is a Parker Duofold senior streamline. Looks like the pen right below it might be a Sheaffer Touchdown TM or Snorkel…if you have a picture of all of these uncapped we would all be able to be more insightful.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (December 14th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Welcome!
    The black and pearl pen is a Parker Duofold senior streamline. Looks like the pen right below it might be a Sheaffer Touchdown TM or Snorkel…if you have a picture of all of these uncapped we would all be able to be more insightful.
    I will work on getting photos of each tomorrow. It is a little late for me now and my computer skill level will make sure Im here for an hour getting each photo listed.

Thanks

That black and pearl looks as if it has not ambered, as a lot of them do. So that's a big plus point for that pen.

The blue stripy one towards the bottom is an Esterbrook J, quite a nice pen though not hideously expensive. It could make you a nice daily writer.

Quite a few of the pens will probably need new ink sacs. DON'T wiggle the levers if they are stuck, because if they are, the sac has probably turned to either gloop or concrete inside the pen... and will need removing before you can do anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,259 Times in 3,941 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    That black and pearl looks as if it has not ambered, as a lot of them do. So that's a big plus point for that pen.
    If that is the 4th one down from the top in picture 2 then on my screen the barrel does look like it has ambered enough to make it a different colour from the cap, but I've seen worse.
    The next 2 pens below that both look like Sheaffer's to me and they both have white dots.
    I can't really see enough detail in the images to pick out pen models. The images need to be a little bit bigger. About 600 pixels across at 200 ppi is a decent rule of thumb for identification purposes.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (December 14th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    If that is the 4th one down from the top in picture 2 then on my screen the barrel does look like it has ambered enough to make it a different colour from the cap, but I've seen worse.
    The next 2 pens below that both look like Sheaffer's to me and they both have white dots.
    I can't really see enough detail in the images to pick out pen models. The images need to be a little bit bigger. About 600 pixels across at 200 ppi is a decent rule of thumb for identification purposes.
    Images lose a lot of res after hosting. Ill get some close up pictures of each tonight

Thanks

The blue stripy one towards the bottom is an Esterbrook J, quite a nice pen though not hideously expensive. It could make you a nice daily writer.

Quite a few of the pens will probably need new ink sacs. DON'T wiggle the levers if they are stuck, because if they are, the sac has probably turned to either gloop or concrete inside the pen... and will need removing before you can do anything.

Thank you for that bit of info. I had no idea what that lever was for. I tried moving one and it made minimal movement. Left them alone after that first attempt.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,269 Posts

Have a look at the first two pictures in this for sale thread: LINK

That will give you an idea of the sort of format and level of detail for pictures. It's what many knowledgable members here will find useful - which is ultimately to your benefit.

Some phone quality snaps should suffice, and the site will host them.

There look to be some interesting pens there.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 10,259 Times in 3,941 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JBrains View Post
    Images lose a lot of res after hosting. Ill get some close up pictures of each tonight
    You can find all of the information you need about getting images into your posts on here if you go and read FAQ - Reading & Posting Messages - Attachments & Images.
    It's not necessary to host them anywhere else. You can easily get them from your phone or computer.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBrains View Post
    Hello. First time posting here. Wanted to come here to show what they are. They are in very apparent used fashion. The brands are Eversharp, WA Sheaffer, Morrison, Watermans, Fineline, Parkers, Esterbrook and Eagle. I honestly don't know much about fountain pens and look forward to any insight and feedback received. Thanks!

Offhand, this is a great accumulation of fountain pens. I see:

- Six or seven Esterbrooks. They were some of the toughest pens ever made, with beautiful barrels and sections. The nib units were interchangeable, and Esterbrook sold a dozen or more nib-types in three varieties of quality. All bib-types were numbered, with the 1xxx the cheapest sort of steel, the 2xxx a pretty good nib but, like the 1xxx with the tip made by folding over the steel. The 9xxx are steel nibs but with the tip welded on. It is easy to replace the ink sac, and almost impossible to break an Estie.

- I see at least two Eversharp Skylines. They were the best-selliong pens in the US in the early 1940s, partly because Eversharp made delicious gold nibs. The Skyline design was by Henry Dreyfus, one of the great industrial designers. https://www.vintagepens.com/skyline.shtml

- The pens with the thick band and white dot are high-quality Sheaffers with the "lifetime guarantee".

- I see a Waterman with its distinctive clip

At the height of the fountain pen "golden era", Parker, Sheaffer, Eversharp, and Waterman were the "Big Four" US pen makers. That pen with the flat cap looks like a Morrison, another top-line pen-maker. Esterbrook was a sort of tier-two pen maker, never offering gold nibs, but, instead, offering attractive pens at middling sort of prices.

(Through the 1930s and '40s, and into the '50s, the US had many economy-priced pens, made by companies like Saltz, Arnold, and others I can't remember offhand. As recently as a decade ago, these "third tier" pens would be offered on EBay in batches of a dozen or more for maybe 50 cents or a dollar each. I used to grab them and practice replacing the sacs, cleaning them, and sometimes messing with the nibs. Looking at bargain basement pens, I could see designs that imitated the colors on top tier pens. You have found much, much better pens than I did back then!)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to welch For This Useful Post:

amk (December 15th, 2023), MarkN06074 (December 30th, 2023)

Thanks

So beautiful. i love it
    super mario bros wonder

Thanks

Wow, wonder if I can get one while doing Sitecore development