Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The New Pilot Metropolitan Designs

Thanks

Default Re: The New Pilot Metropolitan Designs

Star Wars Collection?

Attachment 5713

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heath For This Useful Post:

Goldfish (October 29th, 2013), kaisnowbird (September 27th, 2013), KrazyIvan (October 4th, 2013)

Thanks

Oh man, I would've bought one of each!!
    I know they are just mock-ups, but I really want them. Yoda first!
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kaisnowbird For This Useful Post:

Goldfish (October 29th, 2013)

Thanks

Honestly, I'd lrather have a "Beards" series. A bearded man with a quote on each one would be great. I'm partial to Spurgeon and Hemingway but there are so many. I could almost see an Edison line for this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to heath For This Useful Post:

mhphoto (October 1st, 2013)

Thanks

The red one would be a killer.

Thanks

They need a Bobafet one for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    They need a Bobafet one for me.

With a Slave 1 color scheme and the banged up look.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Mags (October 4th, 2013)

Thanks

I can't be the only one who thinks these look cheap?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JuicyJones View Post
    I think the point of this thread is that everyone thinks that to some extent.

Thanks

If you mean 'they don't look like they cost a lot of money', then yeah. But that's kind of beside the point (and it's not like the MR ever looked like an expensive luxury good in the first place...)

The point of these is to be fun and cute. There aren't a lot of FPs that are fun and cute-looking, most are plain and pretty boring. I'm glad to see Pilot shaking things up a little. I think Pilot could have done better (full-pen prints would have been great, but probably not fit into existing processes), and I don't like all the designs. But I think some of them are great, and some of them will appeal to other people.

I'm pretty much reserving judgement until I can see some in person, or get better pictures than Pilot's marketing. If they are really, really stupid looking in person than I still respect Pilot for trying. The regular MR pens look better in person than in pictures though (pictures don't show off the texture very well), and I'm hoping that happens here too.
    Last edited by WirsPlm; October 7th, 2013 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks

It's beyond me why a pen could not have an exterior made of some magically expressive electronic material to project differing colours or images. There must be a LCD option sooner or later.

Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

It's beyond me why a pen could not have an exterior made of some magically expressive electronic material to project differing colours or images. There must be a LCD option sooner or later.

I don't know that ink and batteries make a good mix.

MisterBoll

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post

I don't know that ink and batteries make a good mix.
    Solar powered.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterBoll For This Useful Post:

Mags (October 7th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WirsPlm View Post
    If you mean 'they don't look like they cost a lot of money', then yeah. But that's kind of beside the point (and it's not like the MR ever looked like an expensive luxury good in the first place...)

The point of these is to be fun and cute. There aren't a lot of FPs that are fun and cute-looking, most are plain and pretty boring. I'm glad to see Pilot shaking things up a little. I think Pilot could have done better (full-pen prints would have been great, but probably not fit into existing processes), and I don't like all the designs. But I think some of them are great, and some of them will appeal to other people.

I'm pretty much reserving judgement until I can see some in person, or get better pictures than Pilot's marketing. If they are really, really stupid looking in person than I still respect Pilot for trying. The regular MR pens look better in person than in pictures though (pictures don't show off the texture very well), and I'm hoping that happens here too.
    Not really, no. They're not inexpensive. I mean they look like a million other badly made pens with uninspired "cool" designs from a million other manufacturers I've seen over the last 30 years that fell apart after I used them for a year. I don't think one weird faux textured band is particularly cute either, I mean my pelikan go is plastic but it's much cooler.

Thanks

New designs are finally up ( http://www.gouletpens.com/Pilot_Metr...ens_s/1336.htm ). I've got my 2 top picks on order, we'll see what they look like when they get here.

Quote Originally Posted by WirsPlm View Post

Not really, no. They're not inexpensive. I mean they look like a million other badly made pens with uninspired "cool" designs from a million other manufacturers I've seen over the last 30 years that fell apart after I used them for a year. I don't think one weird faux textured band is particularly cute either, I mean my pelikan go is plastic but it's much cooler.
    We'll have to agree to disagree. I wouldn't carry the the Pelikan Go for love or money (unimaginative retread of black plastic with some stripes of neonish color? Pass, thanks), so it's great that there's all kinds of pens made for all kinds of tastes. I don't think that you can honestly call Pilot pens badly made, because regardless of whether you like the specific look or not, Pilot keeps pulling top rankings in quality comparisons with other pens (especially other pens at the price points). I've done all kinds of things to my MRs and 78Gs (I may have accidentally rolled my desk chair across them, among other abuses), and they keep on ticking, and my experiences aren't unusual.
    Last edited by WirsPlm; October 28th, 2013 at 12:22 PM.

MisterBoll

Looks aside - this is an amazing pen. I've bought a few to give away as gifts.

Thanks

Not impressed. I wish they had released a red version. I love the dark metallic red in the Pilot line. The Knight had this color choice and I was hoping it would be added to the Metropolitan line.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicLeo View Post
    Not impressed. I wish they had released a red version. I love the dark metallic red in the Pilot line. The Knight had this color choice and I was hoping it would be added to the Metropolitan line.
    Agreed, a nice burgundy would be awesome, I'd buy another metro if they offered a nice red.

Thanks

Me too. The current new releases are not enticing enough make me get a second Metro.
    Also, I didn't find the nib particularly reliable (6/10). My Al-Star's EF nib writes heaps better.
    I should ssay that my experiences with Pilot's gold nibs are a lot more impressive though.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu