Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leak from under metal trim ring.

Thanks

Default Re: Leak from under metal trim ring.

I now see that this is a bigger and more controversial topic than I had realized. The interesting pen blog at https://danielkirchheimer.com/2017/0...ion-trim-ring/ has some strong critical words about manufacturers who produce pens with metal trim rings, which are apparently all doomed to eventual problems and leaking. Here's a sample quote:
    "This is a Parker Sonnet on my workbench for some nib work. Notice the corrosion to the trim ring that has caused the gold plating to be lost.

Folks, I donít want to insult anyone, but it is a disgraceful engineering decision to succumb to a superficial desire for a bit of flash and as a result trade off durability. Thereís a reason that for a hundred years, no quality fountain pen had a plated trim ring located at the front of the gripping section where the base metal would unstoppably fall victim to chemical attack from ink. "

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rff000 For This Useful Post:

Deb (January 20th, 2024), LizEF (January 19th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,966 Times in 3,989 Posts

"This is a Parker Sonnet on my workbench for some nib work. Notice the corrosion to the trim ring that has caused the gold plating to be lost. Folks, I donít want to insult anyone, but it is a disgraceful engineering decision to succumb to a superficial desire for a bit of flash and as a result trade off durability. Thereís a reason that for a hundred years, no quality fountain pen had a plated trim ring located at the front of the gripping section where the base metal would unstoppably fall victim to chemical attack from ink. "
    Daniel has an Olympic Gold medal in Brusqueness. One has to accept that in his dialogue, but he has a remarkably deep knowledge of the history and construction of fountain pens, and brings a rigor to his observations that is important, if at times less than comfortable.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 20th, 2024), Deb (January 20th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    "This is a Parker Sonnet on my workbench for some nib work. Notice the corrosion to the trim ring that has caused the gold plating to be lost. Folks, I donít want to insult anyone, but it is a disgraceful engineering decision to succumb to a superficial desire for a bit of flash and as a result trade off durability. Thereís a reason that for a hundred years, no quality fountain pen had a plated trim ring located at the front of the gripping section where the base metal would unstoppably fall victim to chemical attack from ink. "
    Daniel has an Olympic Gold medal in Brusqueness. One has to accept that in his dialogue, but he has a remarkably deep knowledge of the history and construction of fountain pens, and brings a rigor to his observations that is important, if at times less than comfortable.
    It's interesting to hear about Daniel's expertise