Thread: New U.S.P.S. Prices for 2014

Thanks

Default New U.S.P.S. Prices for 2014

Because this seems to be where any info on letter writing is I decided to post this here. If there is a better place please let me know.

Just announced, these are the proposed price increases for 2014 for the U.S.P.S. From their press release:

“The United States Postal Service today announced proposed price changes, including an increase in the price of a First-Class Mail single-piece letter from 46 cents to 49 cents. The proposed changes, which would go into effect in January 2014, are intended to generate $2 billion in incremental annual revenue for the Postal Service.

Highlights of the new single-piece First-Class Mail pricing, effective Jan. 26, 2014 include:

Letters (1 oz.) — 3-cent increase to 49 cents
    Letters additional ounces — 1-cent increase to 21 cents
    Letters to all international destinations (1 oz.) — $1.15
    Postcards — 1-cent increase to 34 cents
    Stamp prices have stayed consistent with the average annual rate of inflation of 4.2 percent since the Postal Service was formed in 1971.”

Thanks

Default Re: New U.S.P.S. Prices for 2014

I guess it's time to stock up on those forever stamps, domestic and international ones.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caribbean_skye For This Useful Post:

tiffanyhenschel (September 25th, 2013), Tracy Lee (September 25th, 2013)

Senior Member spotted and speckled's Avatar
    Thanks

Oy!
    Much Love--

--Virginia

Thanks

I wish they had a better design for the international forever stamp. The current 20 stamp page is $22.00 and will go up to $23 so I may hold off on those. The domestic forever stamps that I mostly use and get in 100 packs most of the time will go from $46 to $49 so I may get one or two extra but I'm not stocking up.

Postcards actually affect me the most. I currently use a .20 a .10 and a .3 cent stamp on them because I have three stamps I quite like but adding a whole nother .1 cent stamp will crowd more than it already is.

Thanks

Is 'nother' a word? I doubt it. I guess I'm showing my heritage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    Is 'nother' a word? I doubt it. I guess I'm showing my heritage.
    It is now, you used it, it's your's
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cwent2 For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (September 25th, 2013), earthdawn (September 25th, 2013), spotted and speckled (September 25th, 2013)

Thanks

I may be in the minority in thinking that, overall, USPS is a good deal. And I have had (almost all) great dealings with post offices. That said, I do wish there were more variety in the lines of stamps other than first-class letter stamps...
    http://katexic.com/clippings/
    Love interesting words? Curious links? Great writing? Subscribe to the free, thrice weekly Katexic Clippings newsletter!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fncll View Post
    I may be in the minority in thinking that, overall, USPS is a good deal. And I have had (almost all) great dealings with post offices. That said, I do wish there were more variety in the lines of stamps other than first-class letter stamps...
    USPS is a good deal. I'm honestly OK with regular inflation-aligned price increases. Of all the steps that can be taken to stop the US Government from bleeding red ink this is a no-brainer, and also about the only one we can get the big-spenders to agree to sadly. Other adjustments need to get made, but I'll take whatever fiscal sanity we can get.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WirsPlm View Post
    Of all the steps that can be taken to stop the US Government from bleeding red ink this is a no-brainer, and also about the only one we can get the big-spenders to agree to sadly. Other adjustments need to get made, but I'll take whatever fiscal sanity we can get.
    The USPS is not part of the government, so they are one step removed from the pure unadulterated madness in DC.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

I agree that for the most part the USPS is a very good deal. That said, at just about half a buck a letter and at the rate I send them, it will begin to be a consideration and the international even more so. I may have to just spread out and slow down a little bit.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

I agree that for the most part the USPS is a good deal. However the majority of the people I send mail to (apart from the people I write to from here) are international and every increase just makes me really stop and think whether I can keep affording to send out mail as I have been (Christmas time is rather expensive). Guess that just means I need to convert all of my letters to onionskin or Tomoe River paper.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

I'll try and feel sorry for you all when I buy another sheet ten Australian International stamps for $26.00 today.

Still have the Queen on them - not like the new dinosaur domestic stamps
    Last edited by Bogon07; September 26th, 2013 at 10:03 PM.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    I'll try and feel sorry for you all when I buy another sheet ten Australian International stamps for $26.00 tomorrow.
    You are $2.43 per stamp American and we are going to $1.15 so you have a valid point but I imagine our output of international mail is much higher which gives us a lower rate. What are your domestic stamp rates?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    I'll try and feel sorry for you all when I buy another sheet ten Australian International stamps for $26.00 tomorrow.
    You are $2.43 per stamp American and we are going to $1.15 so you have a valid point but I imagine our output of international mail is much higher which gives us a lower rate. What are your domestic stamp rates?
    The International stamps are $2.60AUD to US & Europe These new prices came in when the $AUD > $USD. - Postcards $1.70
    Actually there are two tiers of international: letters to Asia-Pacific are $1.85 Postcards also $1.70

Domestic $0.60AUD

Your PostOffice is a bit like ours, saying they are only keeping increases inline with inflation yet those very increases are contributing to the inflation they are basing the increases on.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Need to get some forever stamps and maybe some 5 cent stamps. When I purchased my last batch of international postage, they did not have the forever stamps. I purchased $1 + 10 cent stamps.

Oh, wait, this goes into effect in January. I'll be out of international postage by then.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Need to get some forever stamps and maybe some 5 cent stamps. When I purchased my last batch of international postage, they did not have the forever stamps. I purchased $1 + 10 cent stamps.

Oh, wait, this goes into effect in January. I'll be out of international postage by then.
    KI, what are forever stamps ?

I'm impressed by the amount of advance notice your Post Office gives you of increases.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post

KI, what are forever stamps ?

I'm impressed by the amount of advance notice your Post Office gives you of increases.
    Buy at the rate of today, they are good forever regardless of increases. The only thing I buy and I stock up often just in case. You'll see on my letters to you the round stamp? It says forever on it. :-)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Tracy Lee For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (September 28th, 2013)