Thread: Scout Books (vs Moleskine Pocket Cahier and Field Notes)

Thanks

Default Scout Books (vs Moleskine Pocket Cahier and Field Notes)

I did a bit of an overview/review over on my website containing Scout Books (vs Moleskine Pocket Cahier and Field Notes).

Attachment 5635

Some of the points I made (Check out the whole article for more pictures (30) and thoughts):

• The paper
      • It feels better than Moleskine or Field notes in every way. It is thicker/stiffer. It feels like quality paper. It holds up to moderate wetness in fountain pens as well which was my primary concern. In both of the other books I mention you cannot even begin to use the back of the page because of bleed through. In a book this small I hate to waste pages.

Attachment 5636

• Paper Design (genre?)
      • I got these in dot grid. I've been wanting to try the dots for a while and as far as I know Scout is the only one of the three that offers it.

• The cover
      • It's thicker than both of the others (Moleskine Cahier cover not Hardcover).

Attachment 5638

• The Size (3.5" x 5")
      • In my opinion it is better than the others but this is purely a preference. It is a hair wider but a fat pencil width shorter. The point of these to me is portability and pocketability. The others fit in my pockets fine but both stick out of my shirt pockets just enough to be seen. This one is just under the top of the shirt pocket.

• Price
      • Ok, I ordered a box so I got them a bit cheaper. About $1.90 a book (12-Pack) with free shipping. Moleskine Cahier are ~$3 a book (3-pack) and Field Notes are just over $3.30 each (3-Pack). The Scout books, to be fair, are smaller than the other two in height by 1/2" and the page counts are Scout (32), Moleskine Cahier (64) and Field Notes (48). Per page it seems that the Moleskine wins but when you consider you lose the back of every page when writing with most fountain pens it's actually much cheaper to go with the Scout books.

• Made in the USA! (No offence to my international brothers)
      • Well, they say "designed and manufactured in the USA" so unless that is misleading, as it could be, they are made in the USA.
      • Field Notes are also made in the USA as far as I can tell. They are based in Portland and say "Manufactured and printed in the USA."
      • Moleskine is an Italian company known for printing in China.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heath For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (September 25th, 2013), supersets (September 11th, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: Scout Books (vs Moleskine Pocket Cahier and Field Notes)

I bet you thought you would never get to watch a 8 second video showing notebook paper quality... - http://bit.ly/19GfxXi

Last edited by heath; September 25th, 2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: added embedded video

Thanks

I've been trying out a 3-pack of dot grid Scout Books myself. While I do find them to be superior to Moleskines (I haven't tried Field Notes), I don't think they've quite earned the label "Fountain Pen Friendly". I definitely noticed some spread and subtle feathering with most of the fountain pens I used on it. It's not bad if you're using a Japanses fine nib (Pilot Prera) but becomes more pronounced as you step-up to wider nibs. Showthrough also came into play when I used a medium nib (Pilot Metropolitain) or a Western fine (Faber Castell E-Motion). There was no bleedthrough and the showthrough wasn't terrible but I had to write with an intentionally light hand if I wanted to use both sides of a page.

You're right on that the look, feel, and price of the books make them very attractive. They probably won't be my go-to notebook (still looking) but if you're using very fine nibbed fountain pens or other types of pens Scout Books are a great option.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to theolu For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Here are some writing samples. The first two are on the Scout showing front and back of the same page. The others are the same inks/pens in a moleskine showing front and back.

Attachment 5691 Attachment 5692

As for the "Fountain Pen Friendly" moniker I agree these are not all the way there but for a 32 page pocket notebook I think they are probably good enough for me. As for the "Go To Notebook" I would think it would be a bigger book altogether and I too am in search of this still. I do have the TWSBI's in blank and Grid in medium and large and so far they are doing pretty well.

Attachment 5693 Attachment 5694
    Attachment 5695 Attachment 5696
    Attachment 5697 Attachment 5698
    Attachment 5699 Attachment 5700

Thanks

Rufus is a free and open-source tool that can be used to create bootable USB flash drives. The interface is simple to use, and it can be customized according to your needs according to the options it provides. Not only is it simple to use, but it is also extremely quick to create bootable USB drives. Get more information rufus buck gang.

Thanks

Generally, moving companies that provide packing materials will offer a range of options, including boxes, packing tape, bubble wrap, and packing paper. However, it is important to note that you may need to purchase specialty packing materials for fragile or valuable items. Car Transport Rates Onslow County