Thread: do you find you write differently with different nib sizes?

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

Default do you find you write differently with different nib sizes?

My handwriting changes from nib to nib, pen to pen. I have stock mediums nibs, OB nibs, 1.1 stubs, modded ~.7 CI, ~1.3 CI and a ~.9 CI nibs. I write differently for each one of those nibs. I find my handwriting comes out best with a .9 to a 1.2mm size, either stubbed or CI'd. I also find that I write best with a medium girthed pen, such as a TWSBI and a 146. I really thought the 149 was my preferred size, but my handwriting, coupled with the ~.7 CI nib it has, ends up just being messy. I really have to concentrate on forming my letters. On the 1.1 TWSBI, or the ~.9 CI no name home grind, I can write fast and presentable without even trying. Even switching to the the stock M and OB, I have to adjust my handwriting to suit the nib. I need at least a half page or more of writing or at least half an hour of concentrated effort to really make the transition from nib to nib. (At least it seems that way )

Anyone have this problem?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: do you find you write differently with different nib sizes?

I find I write differently with different pens even if the nib size is nominally the same.

AbE:

I don't find that a problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Definitely. My writing changes depending on the pen and nib. My writing looks sloppy with fine nibs in cursive but I can control it better if I print. Stubs and italics in the .9-1.1 mm range make my writing look best in cursive but sometimes I write too small and letters lose definition. I have to be really conscious about it but sometimes I forget.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Definitely. My writing changes depending on the pen and nib. My writing looks sloppy with fine nibs in cursive but I can control it better if I print. Stubs and italics in the .9-1.1 mm range make my writing look best in cursive but sometimes I write too small and letters lose definition. I have to be really conscious about it but sometimes I forget.
    Yeppers and I'm the direct opposite of KI. My cursive writing looks better with finer nibs than stubs or italics.

Thanks

Me too, things get looser with softer nibs. Whether it looks any better is moot.

Thanks

YES
    I have to write larger with a Medium nib than my normal Fine nib. If I do not, my writing looks messy.
    My Lamy 1.1 italic nib requires me to spread out my writing even more, to be able to read the letters and not look messy.

But the line spacing on ruled paper also has an effect on this, as the lines constrict/limit how large the writing can be, unless you take more than 1 line to write on. So I have to use a Fine tip for college ruled paper. I need wide ruled paper for my Medium nib. Italic is a whole different world. I need more vertical space for my italic nibs.

Also the pen itself has an effect. Some pens are easier to write larger, others easier to write smaller.

Thanks

I write same but it looks different...

Thanks

B nibs look like a smudge across the page if I don't concentrate.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Yes. With a fine nib my handwriting is very small, tends to revert back to the crap I learned in school. And it grows with nib size all the way up to big fat italics which really push me into a lovely italic hand.

I've never understood folks posting "I have very tiny writing, I need an EF nib only." My hand has always adjusted automatically to the size of the nib I use. I always thought I had small, crappy, cramped writing because in school we used pencils or ball points. I started using B, BB, OBB, italic nibs with my fountain pens and folks can't stop gushing about my writing. :P I really think if more folks let themselves they'd find their hands adjusted to the nib as well and might be really surprised how lovely their writing can become if you let the NIB set the tone.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (October 17th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    I really think if more folks let themselves they'd find their hands adjusted to the nib as well and might be really surprised how lovely their writing can become if you let the NIB set the tone.
    I am a F nib writer from way back.

But I've been writing for handwriting practice sometimes with a M nib. And I am seeing that when I write with the M tip, besides being larger, the handwriting is neater. Maybe it is the discipline that is forced on me with a larger handwriting. Whereas when I am writing with a F or XF nib, I can pack it in, and errors are hidden in the small size of the handwriting. Also the M nibs are generally smoother than the smaller F nibs, and that does help for nicer writing, especially since I do not use $$ Clairefontaine paper.

I also found that I LIKE writing cursive with an italic nib. It makes my handwriting look totally different, and I like the effect of the line variation. But as I mentioned above, I need more paper real estate to use the italic nib. I had though it would be a special use pen, but I can see myself using it much more often. Enough that I got a Lamy 1.1 italic nib and have it on a pen and do not intend to remove it. And this is separate from my Sheaffer calligraphy pens.

BUT...some of this is completely due to what I learned on the various forums after picking up using fountain pens again. My old method of finger writing, while perfect for a XF or F nib would just not allow me to write large with a wider nib and still be readable w/o cramping my hand. Now that I am using my hand and arm to write with, I can write larger without it being such a difficult chore.

The other thing that has helped is that for my writing practice I am using WIDE ruled paper. That has helped me, because I write as I am restricted by the line spacing. The college ruled paper mentally cramps me in to a smaller handwriting. And I used to use narrow ruled paper in college, so I could put more notes on a sheet of paper. The wide ruled paper has allowed me to expand my handwriting to the larger space available, and that suits the M nib much better. Although, the 1.1 italic sometimes feels cramped in the wide ruled paper, so I may have to switch to blank paper with a custom guide sheet with even wider line spacing. So it is also about line spacing and paper real estate.

Thanks

I find that nearly every aspect of a nib affects my handwriting, not just the nib grades.

With stiff nibs, my writing has sharper 'corners'; whereas softer nibs produce more cursive writing. Springy nibs gives me more elongated loops.

My writing is neater with a nib that has some feedback. The buttery or glassy smooth nibs make my writing a little sloppy or uneven.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

I have to write larger with larger nibs. I don't care for large nibs (except for the stub nibs), but I do use them from time to time as practice: they force me to make the curls and curves larger in my letters. This makes my usual fine and extra fine writing much neater.

Thanks

I write differently with different pens/nibs. With broader nibs my writing gets bigger and then reverts to a smaller size with medium or fine nibs. But it also changes with mood and degree of haste. I think I often choose a pen to write with that matches how I want to write. It doesn't work well for me, for instance, when I want to write slowly and thoughtfully (and neatly) and I only have a broad nib available. I love broader nibs but only when I am feeling more exuberant or effusive.
    ... Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working [Pablo Picasso] ...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cedargirl For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (October 20th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

I have come to view inconsistency of style and form as a virtue with my writing.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    Yes. With a fine nib my handwriting is very small, tends to revert back to the crap I learned in school. And it grows with nib size all the way up to big fat italics which really push me into a lovely italic hand.

I've never understood folks posting "I have very tiny writing, I need an EF nib only." My hand has always adjusted automatically to the size of the nib I use. I always thought I had small, crappy, cramped writing because in school we used pencils or ball points. I started using B, BB, OBB, italic nibs with my fountain pens and folks can't stop gushing about my writing. :P I really think if more folks let themselves they'd find their hands adjusted to the nib as well and might be really surprised how lovely their writing can become if you let the NIB set the tone.
    My experiences as well. These days I use 1.1 mostly, along with 1.5 and 1.9 nibs.

Thanks

My writing looks better with a fine nib, but feels better with a broad. then there's the stubs, which I have to adjust my grip for, not the most comfortable thing to do on a lamy safari or even nexx... But my writing does look awesome when I get the angle right.
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

I have since learnt to handle the .7 ci'd modded 149 much better now. It has some flex to it, so writing with a bit of flex turns out to be a blessing! I can do a bit of modified Spencerian with it. I can't write a novel that way, but enough to show some really fine handwriting.

Thanks

of course it changes - a little depending on the nib. From Fine to 1.1 mm. It is basically the same with subtle variation, just to give it some character.
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks

For the most part the finer the nib the more my penmanship tends toward copperplate whilst an italic will bring out the blackletter.
    Be Here Now