Thread: Bad actors on EBay

Thanks

Default Bad actors on EBay

I have had my share of shady dealers, and here is one more.
    I bought a P 51 cap on EBay, at a pretty significant price because I have a nice pen sans cap.
    The clip fell off pretty much right away. Turns out there was no inner cap, so the bushing holding the clip screw (aka "jewel") was not actually attached. Instead it was just stuck into some gooey glop to hold it together for the photo.
    I will not publish here the ID of the seller, but I am open to revealing this by PM if anyone wants to avoid a similar fraud. parker cap fraud.jpg

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doctox For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (January 6th, 2024), Niner (January 18th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: Bad actors on EBay

I have to assume you'll raise the issue with eBay/PayPal/etc? Or just fix it yourself and move on?

Yeah, it's tough. No matter how many good people and transaction there are, there are also... these people. Sorry for the cap, hope you are able to resolve somehow.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 6th, 2024), Yazeh (January 7th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,443 Times in 4,000 Posts

Here you merely need to open a case, presumably of "not as described", send it back using the sellers postal label and get a full refund. In the UK all funds are operated only by ebay now and it's really simple and straightforward.
    I don't know what the seller said in the description but ebay buyer protection says you get what you paid for or your money back. Maybe the seller could potentially say he didn't know but that doesn't affect you.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 6th, 2024), Yazeh (January 7th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

That is a sad looking clip screw.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I have to assume you'll raise the issue with eBay/PayPal/etc? Or just fix it yourself and move on?

Yeah, it's tough. No matter how many good people and transaction there are, there are also... these people. Sorry for the cap, hope you are able to resolve somehow.
    I will certainly take action to get my money back. I have fixed P 51 caps myself, and have the tools, but the challenge is getting the part - specifically the inner cap. If it were just the jewel and bushing, no problem.

Thanks

Yes, thank you. I will do that. I contacted the seller tout-de-suite, and will wait a couple more days, but don't expect much if I have not heard back by now.
    What really goads me is that this is, believe it or not, the second time I have had a P 51 cap that had the clip and jewel just glued in. The last one was 3 years ago.

Thanks

'Tis.
    The clip was wobbly to start with, and when I tried to diagnose the problem, it just pulled loose with black tarry stuf all over the bushing, and that brown guck sticking up where the bushing should have been screwed into the inner cap. I poked at it from the bottom end and pushed out a good inch of that brown goop. just disgusting. I never got to actually put it onto the pen, but my guess is that it would not have fit anyway - the nib end would have buried into the guck.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,443 Times in 4,000 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doctox View Post
    Yes, thank you. I will do that. I contacted the seller tout-de-suite, and will wait a couple more days, but don't expect much if I have not heard back by now.
    What really goads me is that this is, believe it or not, the second time I have had a P 51 cap that had the clip and jewel just glued in. The last one was 3 years ago.
    You don't need to contact the seller and wait. You just need to press to return the item then open a case with ebay for item not as described. They will do the rest: They will request his pre paid postal label or issue it themselves and charge him for it, and his time to act in respect of the return starts when they say it starts or they make the decision for him if he doesn't get it done. No arguments with the seller need to be entered into.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

I did manage to find a very nice cap, for a bit less money even, from "thependragons", from the beautiful Isle of Wight in the English Channel. I finally have a fully functional pen.
    plum new cap.jpg

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Doctox For This Useful Post:

catbert (January 19th, 2024)