Thread: Omas Extra leaking

Thanks

Default Omas Extra leaking

Last week I purchased an Omas Extra on eBay (ugh) and it is leaking and pooling ink where the nib and feed fit into the section. The feed does not look to me like an Omas feed and the way feed fits into the section does not look right at all. It looks to me like the wrong feed is just jammed into the section. (see attached photos) Any opinions on what might be going on? Thanks

Omas Extra - Fountain Pen - Reddit - Small-00054.jpgOmas Extra - Fountain Pen - Reddit - Small-00039.jpgOmas Extra - Fountain Pen - Reddit - Small-00046.jpgOmas Extra - Fountain Pen - Reddit - Small-00026.jpgOmas Extra - Fountain Pen - Reddit - Small-00017.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 597 Posts

Default Re: Omas Extra leaking

I think the feed is correct, but somehow got pushed wayyy too far in. That probably means the nib-feed interface is no longer a good seal, or the collar may be cracked—either thing could lead to the oversaturation you’re experiencing. If you have a heat gun, try unscrewing the nib and feed carefully.
    Last edited by fountainpenkid; January 19th, 2024 at 09:54 AM.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

Zaptrax (January 20th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 392 Posts

As I noted in my post on FPN, the nib and feed need to be reset. As they are, it should be possible to pull them out and reset with your fingers. If the collar is cracked, it needs to be replaced.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,269 Posts

Definitely needs reset, but your second picture looks to show a crack in the collar.

Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 10.40.27 AM.png
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I saw that too. But is that a crack, or is that the notch cut into the thread ring that the spanner grabs to unscrew the nib? If the mark a bit to the right in the picture is a notch, then yes, it is cracked.

Omas used a plastic that degrades over time and lets go. I suspect that it might be Delrin, which breaks down when exposed to acids -which is found in many inks. That's why I started making them out of PEEK.

Visit Main Street Pens

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    I saw that too. But is that a crack, or is that the notch cut into the thread ring that the spanner grabs to unscrew the nib? If the mark a bit to the right in the picture is a notch, then yes, it is cracked.

Omas used a plastic that degrades over time and lets go. I suspect that it might be Delrin, which breaks down when exposed to acids -which is found in many inks. That's why I started making them out of PEEK.
    Looks like a crack. Based on the photo of the bottom of the feed, the notch is nearly in line with the bottom of the feed. If you look at the top, the crack is about 30 degrees CCW of the notch.

Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 10.40.27 AM.png
    Last edited by Wile E Coyote; January 19th, 2024 at 12:46 PM.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 20th, 2024), dneal (January 19th, 2024), fountainpenkid (January 20th, 2024), Zaptrax (January 20th, 2024)

Thanks

When I looked at the collar I thought the notch for the wench was the one on the right. If you look at the reverse side shot of the feed the notch on that side is about 180 degrees off the one on top (to the right). But that space or crack on the top left looks huge. That was why I assumed it was the wrong part. Could it have cracked that much?

Thanks

Here are two closer shots of both sides of the collar. The spanner notch on top looks to be on the right and the other opening must be a crack or split in the collar. It also looks to me like there is some kind of glue slopped around the collar. It's not silicone grease because it won't wipe off. Omas Extra - Fountain Pen - Reddit - Small-00150.jpgOmas Extra - Fountain Pen - Reddit - Small-00148.jpg
    Last edited by Zaptrax; January 19th, 2024 at 02:05 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zaptrax For This Useful Post:

dneal (January 19th, 2024), fountainpenkid (January 20th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,269 Posts

Definitely looks cracked to me, and I see what you mean about some sort of glue-ish substance. Ron could perhaps advise on your options.

On a different note, I agree that's an Omas feed, but I'm not entirely sure that's the correct nib for the era. The reason I mention it is that a slightly thicker nib would make for a larger outside diameter - which would stress and eventually crack the collar. A replacement being made should rectify any issue though.

Another question that might come up is whether or not it's cotton resin or celluloid - but I'm 99.9% certain it's cotton resin. See Letizia Iacopini's blog post HERE.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Thanks

This pen is my third Omas. The other two I purchased from Letizia. Clearly it was a mistake to have bought an Omas on eBay instead of from a reliable dealer like Letizia. I agree with you, it is almost certainly not celluloid. It feels like a resin. I sent the seller a link to this thread and we are talking about a refund. Hopefully there will be a happy ending to this story.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,256 Times in 3,940 Posts

I agree that the collar is cracked. The notch should not go all of the way through it like it does in the bottom picture of post #8. It should line up with and look like the notch in the top picture of post #8. My Omas notches line up straight and look like that in the top picture on post #8. The presence of glue of some sort might mean that someone has tried to glue the collar. Something that won't work.

Maybe Ron has made or can make a replacement collar and reset the nib and feed into it. Otherwise there used to be some available on the Fountain Pen Board but that was quite some time ago now. I considered buying one as a spare but sold that pen in the end.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 20th, 2024 at 03:23 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

There's nothing in the collar/thread bushing that prevents the nib from not lining up with the notches, but Omas' usual practice was to put the notches more or less centered over the nib and feed. The exception might be with the 360 where the nib had to be set so that it make proper contact with the paper while the barrel was in a position for a comfortable grip.

Visit Main Street Pens

Thanks

After showing the seller this thread he finally explained how this all happened: “When cleaning it the little collar cracked, and I had tried superglue, curing resin, and even melting of the plastic to bind the crack. Yeah I did try to clean the piston too.” He has offered a full refund.

Being an optimist I look at this as an incredible learning experience and I got an introduction to Ron Zorn. All well worth the effort.

And best of all was being reminded again how wonderful the members of this little online community are. I truly appreciate the help every one of you gave.

Thanks.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zaptrax For This Useful Post:

da vinci (January 23rd, 2024), dneal (January 20th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,256 Times in 3,940 Posts

It may be different on ebay UK but we don't ever need to start negotiations with sellers over whether we will get a refund our not. We just have one choice to click on and that is "I wish to return the item", that automatically opens a case with ebay and we then choose why we wish to return. If the reason is not as described or wrong item or damaged in post then ebay tells the seller to issue a return label to the buyer so that the item can be returned at the sellers expense for a full refund. That way there is never any argument or discussion that ebay can't see on the case notes if they get to the stage where they need to step in and make the decision. The ebay guarantee is "You get what you've paid for or your money back."

It's a shame about this pen. I hope it was only the broken collar that was completely ruined.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 26th, 2024 at 01:37 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Deb (January 21st, 2024), Zaptrax (January 20th, 2024)

Thanks

So to close out this story, I returned the pen to the seller using a mailing label sent via the eBay return process. 48 hours later my money was fully refunded.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zaptrax For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 26th, 2024), dneal (January 26th, 2024), fountainpenkid (January 27th, 2024)