Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: J Herbin Violette Pensée

  1. #1
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    8,284
    Thanks
    9,623
    Thanked 5,842 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Cool J Herbin Violette Pensée

    J Herbin Violette Pensée (Violet pansy)
    This is one of my oldest ink bottles (10-15 years old) and nearing the end.
    Pansy is derived from the French word Pensée (Viola × wittrockiana)
    There’s nothing much I can say about this ink. It’s wet ink, doesn't likes copy paper and like most purple inks it might stain, so bear that in mind, if using it in a transparent pen.

    Let's start with the chroma:
    Chroma - Violette pensée.jpeg
    Writing Samples:
    Rhodia Herbin VP.jpg
    Midori J HVP.jpeg
    TR68gr J HVP.jpeg
    Hammermill Herbin VP.jpg
    Photo:
    20240120_151434.jpg
    Comparison:
    Purple - Comparison.jpg
    Water test:
    Watertest J HVP.jpeg
    and finally and ink art. I had lots of fun doing this going on a purple madness. I used some bleach to emphasis the mustaches. Note the sheen where excess ink has been put.



    · Pens used: Pilot F3A Ef, Lamy (EF/F/M/B, 1.1), Noodler’s Nibcreaper semi-flex
    · What I liked: A pleasure to write with.
    · What I did not like: Not waterproof.
    · What some might not like: It might stain.
    · Shading: I didn’t see much.
    · Ghosting: Yes, on copy paper.
    · Bleed through: Yes, on copy paper.
    · Flow Rate: Wet
    · Lubrication: Decent.
    · Nib Dry-out: Did not notice
    · Start-up: No problems.
    · Saturation: Decently saturated.
    · Shading Potential: Not much.
    · Sheen: No.
    · Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Did not notice.
    · Nib Creep / “Crud”: Did not notice.
    · Staining (pen): It might.
    · Clogging: Did not notice.
    · Cleaning: I used only water.
    · Water resistance: Ok, but don't bank on it
    · Availability: cartridge, 10 ml, 30 ml bottles.

    Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

    catbert (January 21st, 2024), Sailor Kenshin (January 23rd, 2024)

  3. #2
    Senior Member LizEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2022
    Location
    Unreality
    Posts
    689
    Thanks
    859
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 515 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: J Herbin Violette Pensée

    This ink is too close to blurple for my liking. But nevermind that, we have far more important things to look at! Water-test Mousey clearly needs a new (perhaps bigger) umbrella. Water-test Kitty looks very unhappy about the situation. If you're not careful, they might attack the artist... :P

    Psychedelic Mousey and Kitty with their purple-flower-eyes and wild whiskers and chillin' on kitty's head! This is absolutely brilliant! Can't stop grinning.

    Thank you, Yazeh, for another fabulous fun review!

  4. #3
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    8,284
    Thanks
    9,623
    Thanked 5,842 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: J Herbin Violette Pensée

    Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post
    This ink is too close to blurple for my liking.
    It could be also that's it's the end of my bottle

    Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post
    But nevermind that, we have far more important things to look at! Water-test Mousey clearly needs a new (perhaps bigger) umbrella. Water-test Kitty looks very unhappy about the situation. If you're not careful, they might attack the artist... :P
    Or maybe he's tired of grinning

    Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post
    Psychedelic Mousey and Kitty with their purple-flower-eyes and wild whiskers and chillin' on kitty's head! This is absolutely brilliant! Can't stop grinning.

    Thank you, Yazeh, for another fabulous fun review!
    A pleurae! I'm glad I made you grin

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

    LizEF (January 21st, 2024)

  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chartres, France
    Posts
    1,131
    Thanks
    2,591
    Thanked 815 Times in 440 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: J Herbin Violette Pensée

    Love the kittehs :-)
    I find a lot of Violet Pensee around at flea markets in France. And it's a nice ink.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

    Lloyd (January 22nd, 2024), Yazeh (January 21st, 2024)

  8. #5
    Senior Member mizgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    3,977
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked 2,197 Times in 1,240 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: J Herbin Violette Pensée

    Thank you Yazeh! I have a bottle of similar vintage that's been one of the few purple inks I've used regularly (along with the Waterman version). I've always like the idea of an ink for little thoughts

    Wonderful kitties! These are just getting better and better - those pansy eyes are just brilliant!

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

    Yazeh (January 21st, 2024)

  10. #6
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    8,284
    Thanks
    9,623
    Thanked 5,842 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: J Herbin Violette Pensée

    Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    Love the kittehs :-)
    I find a lot of Violet Pensee around at flea markets in France. And it's a nice ink.
    Thanks! Yeah we find a lot Pensée here in mid spring

  11. #7
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    8,284
    Thanks
    9,623
    Thanked 5,842 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: J Herbin Violette Pensée

    Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Thank you Yazeh! I have a bottle of similar vintage that's been one of the few purple inks I've used regularly (along with the Waterman version). I've always like the idea of an ink for little thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post

    Wonderful kitties! These are just getting better and better - those pansy eyes are just brilliant!
    I was inspired

  12. #8
    Senior Member dneal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    5,794
    Thanks
    2,351
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,269 Posts
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: J Herbin Violette Pensée

    This ink is too close to blurple for my liking.
    That's actually what I like about it, but I'm also not a big fan of purple...

    Good review, Yazeh.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

    Lloyd (January 23rd, 2024), Yazeh (January 23rd, 2024)

  14. #9
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    8,284
    Thanks
    9,623
    Thanked 5,842 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: J Herbin Violette Pensée

    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    This ink is too close to blurple for my liking.
    That's actually what I like about it, but I'm also not a big fan of purple...

    Good review, Yazeh.
    Thanks!

  15. #10
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    3,954
    Thanks
    6,103
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 1,670 Posts
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: J Herbin Violette Pensée



    This is one of my oldest inks, too. I always saw JH Violet Pensee as pale pale pale, like Rhodia grid left in the sun too long. Pretty color, though. It is one I haven't used in a long time and I wonder how it's fared after all these years. I would always put it a yellow and lilac Pelikano Junior.

    The water-resist sketch…poor disgruntled Kitteh. And the drawing, WOWZA. San Francisco flowers in the hair psychedelia!

    Thank you, Yazeh, for this grand Ink-sploration.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

    And my other blog is a tumblr!


    And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

    Lloyd (January 24th, 2024), Yazeh (January 23rd, 2024)

  17. #11
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    8,284
    Thanks
    9,623
    Thanked 5,842 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: J Herbin Violette Pensée

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post


    This is one of my oldest inks, too. I always saw JH Violet Pensee as pale pale pale, like Rhodia grid left in the sun too long. Pretty color, though. It is one I haven't used in a long time and I wonder how it's fared after all these years. I would always put it a yellow and lilac Pelikano Junior.

    When it's wet it's lighter, then it dries into a darker richer colour
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    The water-resist sketch…poor disgruntled Kitteh. And the drawing, WOWZA. San Francisco flowers in the hair psychedelia!

    Thank you, Yazeh, for this grand Ink-sploration.
    A pleasure

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •