Thread: Akkerman #09 Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indigo

Thanks
    Thanked 6,229 Times in 2,251 Posts

Cool Akkerman #09 Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indigo

Akkerman #09 Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indigo
    According to Vanness, The name of this ink is a play on Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indië (Avenue of New East Indies), a major street in the Hague.
    It’s a handsome greyish blue-black. Slightly dry, with a mouthful of a name.
    Unlike @LizEF's excellent review,
    https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/f...w-oost-indigo/
    my writing experience was quite unpleasant. The ink was sluggish and dry. I would say it might need a wet pen with a nice smooth nib.
    Chroma is quite complex. Note the turquoise on the top and purple in the bottom.
    Chroma - DeA - Document Sepia 1.jpg
    Writing Samples:
    Rhodia Laan van Niew Oost-Indigo.jpg

Midori Laan van Niew Oost-Indigo.jpeg

TR68gr Laan van Niew Oost-Indigo.jpeg

Hammermill Laan van Niew Oost-Indigo.jpg

Photo:
    20240125_151255.jpg
    Comparison:
    Comparison Blue Black.jpg
    Water test:
    Watertest - LaanVANNEIUW.jpeg

and finally a tiny art work going with the Dutch theme, entitle Say cheese

· Pens used: Kaweco, Pilot F3A EF, (EF/F/M/B, BB), Waterman W2
    · What I liked: Color.
    · What I did not like: The name. The flow.
    · What some might not like: Dryness
    · Shading: Massive.
    · Ghosting: When the feed is primed on copy paper.
    · Bleed through: When the feed is primed. on copy paper.
    · Flow Rate: Scrooge
    · Lubrication: Below average
    · Nib Dry-out: Did not notice.
    · Start-up: From time to time.
    · Saturation: Not saturated.
    · Shading Potential: Massive.
    · Sheen: Did not notice.
    · Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Did not look for it.
    · Nib Creep / “Crud”: Did not notice.
    · Staining (pen): Did not notice.
    · Clogging: No.
    · Cleaning: Easy
    · Water resistance: Decent.
    · Availability: 6o ml bottles.

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

catbert (January 26th, 2024), Lloyd (January 26th, 2024), mizgeorge (January 26th, 2024), Robert (January 26th, 2024), Sailor Kenshin (January 26th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,470 Times in 1,739 Posts

Default Re: Akkerman #09 Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indigo

Gee, that is quite a chroma for an ink that looks gray in some shots. The water test is a hoot! That is some Kitteh Kostume. And the sketch, love them both.

I don't have any of your comparison inks. Normally I am all about blue blacks, but in spite of my craving for an Akkerman bottle, I've had it with dry unpleasant inks, so this one will have to stay out of my collection.

Thanks once again, Yazeh, for these wonderful Ink-Splorations!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (January 26th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,257 Posts

Thank you Yazeh! Another brilliant review of an ink that has been frustrating me ever since I first got it, quite a few years ago.

I utterly love this colour - and the chroma is much more complex than so many others in the same range, which adds so much to it. I also love all the comparison inks, and many more, even the Diamine Indigo (which isn't an exact dupe IMO), but curiously, many of them are drier than other shades of blue.

Sadly, my experience is very much like yours. I find this one almost too dry to use in anything other than a very wet pen. I have a couple of old Dutch piston fillers that work pretty well with it, but I tend to use iron gall inks in these - often the Akkerman one in particular, as well as Salix. As a result, this tends to end up being a rather underused, if very beautiful, bottle of ink that is always nice for drawing with, I suppose.

Fantastic Netherlands-themed artwork for this one! I can't decide whether I prefer water-test kitty's hat, or mousie's cheesy new home, but that expression is fabulous.

What a treat.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Gee, that is quite a chroma for an ink that looks gray in some shots. The water test is a hoot! That is some Kitteh Kostume. And the sketch, love them both.

Yes, the chroma is the best thing about this ink Glad you like the water test sketch
    I don't have any of your comparison inks. Normally I am all about blue blacks, but in spite of my craving for an Akkerman bottle, I've had it with dry unpleasant inks, so this one will have to stay out of my collection.
    You might like Salix De Atramentis Blue Grey isn't bad, but it's your favorite pigment ink

Thanks once again, Yazeh, for these wonderful Ink-Splorations!
    A pleasure

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Thank you Yazeh! Another brilliant review of an ink that has been frustrating me ever since I first got it, quite a few years ago.
    Most welcome
    I utterly love this colour - and the chroma is much more complex than so many others in the same range, which adds so much to it. I also love all the comparison inks, and many more, even the Diamine Indigo (which isn't an exact dupe IMO), but curiously, many of them are drier than other shades of blue.
    When I was reviewing this ink, I told myself, that's a mizgeorge colour. De Atramentis Document Blue Grey is a better option
    Sadly, my experience is very much like yours. I find this one almost too dry to use in anything other than a very wet pen. I have a couple of old Dutch piston fillers that work pretty well with it, but I tend to use iron gall inks in these - often the Akkerman one in particular, as well as Salix. As a result, this tends to end up being a rather underused, if very beautiful, bottle of ink that is always nice for drawing with, I suppose.
    I have to admit this range of colour is great for drawing but not so much for writing
    Fantastic Netherlands-themed artwork for this one! I can't decide whether I prefer water-test kitty's hat, or mousie's cheesy new home, but that expression is fabulous.

What a treat.
    Thank you! Glad my Dutch theme worked out

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 575 Posts

Thanks, Yazeh, for enduring an unhappy experience with one of my top three inks! I guess I lucked out when I put it in my VP, where it lived for years as my "everyday carry", taking it to work, and refilling without bothering to flush. I wish I could explain the differences in our experience, but from what mizgeorge wrote, your experience is more normal than mine. I always did consider my VP to be a wet pen, so I guess that explains it. From my VP, it flows wet and dark, and shades beautifully - more like the sample from your BB nib.

Meanwhile, the chroma is very nice, swatch kitty seems as puzzled as I am, and poor water-test kitty! That get-up! I recognized what it was supposed to be as soon as I saw it - well done! Mousey hiding his cheese in a clog, or is this his mini cheese bar?

Thank you for the fun review! Sorry for the disappointing performance.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post
    Thanks, Yazeh, for enduring an unhappy experience with one of my top three inks!
    The fact that you found the right combination can give this ink some hope

I guess I lucked out when I put it in my VP, where it lived for years as my "everyday carry", taking it to work, and refilling without bothering to flush. I wish I could explain the differences in our experience, but from what mizgeorge wrote, your experience is more normal than mine. I always did consider my VP to be a wet pen, so I guess that explains it. From my VP, it flows wet and dark, and shades beautifully - more like the sample from your BB nib.
    I'm glad mizgoerge confirmed my experience. Ironically the ink guy finds it "wet". He uses Jinhaos
    Meanwhile, the chroma is very nice, swatch kitty seems as puzzled as I am, and poor water-test kitty! That get-up! I recognized what it was supposed to be as soon as I saw it - well done! Mousey hiding his cheese in a clog, or is this his mini cheese bar?
    Glad my little Dutch exploration worked out fine.
    Thank you for the fun review! Sorry for the disappointing performance.
    A pleasure. I'm not disappointed. The point of these reviews is to show the different aspects1 experiences of the same ink

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

LizEF (January 26th, 2024)