Thread: FS: VINTAGE Japanese Collection

Thanks

Default FS [reduced]: VINTAGE Japanese Collection

This listing features my collection of Japanese pens from the 1930s-50s. Nibs range from Semi-Flex to Wet Noodle. Note that I’m not an expert on vintage Japanese pens. The info below is pieced together from what I was able to glean from internet blogs and forums. If I’ve made a mistake, please do chime in. Highlights include models in unique celluloid patterns and some pens that are exceedingly tough to find stateside – including a beautifully well preserved black and pearl Pilot, a Pilot “Easy-Drink” filler, and a painted BHR pen that borrows elements from a Parker Duofold, a Waterman 52, and arguably Eversharp. Oh, and there’s a cool little Skyline Knockoff thrown in for good measure

V9j3Hkg - Imgur.jpg

ALBUM LINK WITH MORE PHOTOS: https://imgur.com/a/X4lG0mh

NOTE THAT TIMESTAMP PHOTO SHOWS MY REDDIT USERNAME, WHERE THIS WAS POSTED EARLIER TODAY

Condition (n.b.): All pens listed below have been disassembled, cleaned and restored with new sacsinstalled in the last month. Each is guaranteed to fill and write as designed without leaks or other issues. Nibs have been adjusted when necessary to ensure that all lay down a smooth and consistent line, meaning that they exhibit no scratchiness, hard starts, skipping, ink bombs, or other undesirable quirks. These pens have no cracks, chips, personal engravings (except #6), missing parts, bent nibs, misaligned tines, or threading issues.

Line Widths and Writing Samples: To provide buyers with as much information as possible, I have started to adopt the following line width standards: XXF (.1-.2mm); XF (approx .3mm); F (approx .4mm); M (approx .6mm); B (approx .8mm). Nib flexibility is determined by variation (max line width under pressure) and softness (amount of pressure). Flexibility designations based on variation generally run as follows for an XF/F nib: Semi-Flex (approx. 1mm); Flex (1.2-1.9mm); Superflex (>2mm). All line width measurements are taken with a digital caliper but should be considered approximations providing a general guide. Width may vary slightly depending on type of ink and paper used as well as amount of pressure applied. All writing samples are on Rhodia dot paper using Waterman Serenity Blue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note on Japanese Nibs: Due to the embargos of the war years, Japanese makers shifted manufacture of nibs from 14k gold to Stainless Steel. This started in the 1940s and ended in the early 1950s. These SS nibs were of a quality unrivaled in the United States, being made of anti-corrosive alloys that hold up better than their 3rd-tier US counterparts by a long chalk, with well-finished iridium tipping that’s just as smooth as that of the Big Four American makers. In addition, as you’ll see below, many of these nibs are wondrously flexible, with writing characteristics that match or exceed those of many 14k nibs.

1. 1940s-50s President Eyedropper (brown pearl marble, celluloid, SST, eyedropper filler, SS XF Flex nib). Measures 4 11/16” capped and 5 3/4” posted. This pen is stamped “President” / “Unbreakable” on the barrel. I haven’t been able to turn up any info about a President pen company and don’t know enough about early Platinum pens to determine whether this could be an early Platinum President. Whoever made it, it sure is a pretty pen, constructed of a dense, brown pearl marble celluloid with extraordinary depth and chatoyance in person. Trim appears to be stainless steel and resembles that of a Pilot with its bowtie clip. Double black jewels with SS tassies. This pen is an eyedropper filler – holds far more ink than a lever filler of the same size. To fill, simply unscrew the section from the barrel and fill with an eyedropper/syringe. SS Warranted #3 nib lays down a smooth and consistent XF line that widens to s 3B+ (approx. 1.8mm) under moderate pressure (see [WRITING SAMPLE](https://imgur.com/tmQxGdx)). Thin hairlines, strong snap-back, and reliable flow over its full range of flex make it a great choice for shaded writing while being great for quick note-taking too. **Condition:** excellent [B]. SS trim shows no brassing – just some pin-sized marks here and there. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous surface with no deep scratches or other noteworthy blemishes – scarcely even any microscratches. Manufacturer imprint on the barrel is weakened but still mostly legible. Price: $130 SOLD

2. 1940s-50s Pilot-Style Pinstripe (grey w/ red pinstripes, celluloid, NPT, lever filler, SS XXF Needlepoint Superflex nib). Measures 5 1/8” capped. This pen has a clip and profile quite similar to the Pilot below (#4) but it has no maker’s marks. It’s made of celluloid in a color pattern I’ve never seen on any other pen: pearlescent grey with red pinstripes. Nickel-plated clip, cap band, and lever. Long-tined SS Warranted #3 nib is a Super-Flexible writer that’s quite responsive. It lays down an XXF line that widens to a 4B+ (approx 2.4mm) under light pressure (see [WRITING SAMPLE](https://imgur.com/8ZcRvAo)). Needlepoint hairlines, astonishingly responsive snap-back, and reliable flow over its full range of flex make it a great choice for calligraphic writing styles such as Copperplate and Spencerian. **Condition:** excellent+ [B+]. Nickel-plated trim is immaculate aside from a little spot on the bottom of the clip where it’s lost some of its original luster. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous surface with no deep scratches or other noteworthy blemishes – scarcely even any microscratches. Price: $190 SOLD

3. c.1953 Pilot 53R-T (black & pearl, celluloid, NPT, lever filler, SS XXF/XF Superflex nib). Measures 5” capped. Located in Tokyo, Japan, Pilot was founded in 1918 by Ryōsuke Namiki and Masao Wada as the Namiki Manufacturing Company, Ltd. To date this pen and the next, I’ve used the following chart: https://imgur.com/XX5KPce. Pilot emerged into the 1950s with a perseverant return to their former glory. Their flagship model became the 53R, made in an array of interesting celluloids unseen in the West and featuring their signature "bow-tie" clips and quality 14k nibs. See Bruno Taut's blog post for more info on the 53-R: https://estilofilos.blogspot.com/2014/10/53r.html. This 53-R Type T (T stands for teko, lever) is made of a beautiful black and pearl celluloid similar to that used for the Sheaffer Balance in the US. Nickel-plated trim with signature bowtie clip and double black jewels. SS Pilot #4 nib with distinctive V-shaped breather is a Super-Flexible writer. It bears the JIS logo, indicating that it was made in accordance with the Japan Industrial Standards first implemented by the Japanese Ministry of Industry in 1952. It lays down a smooth and consistent XXF/XF line that widens to a 4B+ (approx 2.2mm) under light pressure (WRITING SAMPLE: https://imgur.com/OOle03V. Thin hairlines, strong snap-back, and reliable flow over its full range of flex make it a great choice for calligraphic writing styles such as Copperplate and Spencerian. Condition: As every Sheaffer collector knows, Black and Pearl celluloid is exceptionally prone to showing discoloration. And most Balances that crop up in this color today are more of a brown/orange hue. The only other example of this pen I’ve seen was on Mike Deigle’s table at the DC Supershow this year for the same price and it was much more discolored. But the color of *this* particular pen is superb; I’d grade it as 9/10 since with only one noticeably yellowed area situated on the barrel underneath the cap when it’s screwed on (see uncapped photos). Nickel-plated trim is clean aside from a band of brassing around the barrel-end tassie. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous surface with no deep scratches or other noteworthy blemishes – scarcely even any microscratches. Manufacturer imprint on the barrel with “P” logo is deep and fully legible. Price: $350 SOLD

4. c. 1938 Pilot-Namiki Nomikomi-shiki (green marble stripe, celluloid, GPT, “easy-drink” filler, 14k XF Semi-Flex nib). Measures 5 1/4” capped. In the chart linked to #3 above, this model is identified as prewar (far left) by its clip, cap top, and imprint.
    Early models like this one were imprinted with an "N" inside the logo for “Namiki.” What makes this pen unusual and unusually hard to find is its filling system, which Pilot called the Nomikomi-shiki (easy-drink filler) (PILOT ADVERT: https://imgur.com/z5Z20uf). A link to Bruno Taut's entry for this rare bird: https://estilofilos.blogspot.com/201...omi-shiki.html. The section pulls out to reveal an incredibly long feed encased inside a transparent (celluloid?) cartridge that screws on to the section nipple (FILLER 1: https://imgur.com/AUJWWZ5 | FILLER 2: https://imgur.com/H5ZPEnw). Originally, this pen filled with Pilot’s proprietary ink bottle, which had a rubber seal that enabled the pen to be inserted nib-first into the bottle and filled by inverting the bottle (see video on Taut’s page). This pen does not come with a bottle, but can be filled by simply pulling the section, unscrewing the cartridge, filling it with ink using an eyedropper/syringe, then screwing it back on the section nipple while keeping the cartridge oriented open-side-up. If you’ve ever filled a cartridge with a syringe, it’s essentially the same procedure. In addition to the uncommon filler, this pen is made in another striking celluloid color pattern I’ve never seen before. A green and black pattern that evokes the forest. Gold-plated trim with decorative cap band and bowtie clip. Demi-Flexible 14k Pilot #3 nib lays down a smooth and consistent XF line that widens to a 2B or so (approx 1.0mm) under moderate pressure (WRITING SAMPLE: https://imgur.com/zSHzgz1). Condition: Gold-plated trim is exceptionally clean with no brassing or other notable flaws. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous surface with no deep scratches or other noteworthy blemishes – scarcely even any microscratches. Manufacturer imprint on the barrel with “N” logo is deep and fully legible. $380
    SOLD

5. 1940s Well Brickwork (pearlescent brick, NPT, lever filler, SS XF Superflex/Wet Noodle nib). Measures 4 7/8” capped. If anyone knows anything about the Well Pen company of Japan, please chime in! This remarkable looking pen bears an imprint reading “Well” alongside some Japanes characters and a logo that resembles an old-fashioned-well. Its a quality pen with one of the most interesting celluloids and trim configurations in my collection. The color pattern is a pearlescent brickwork while the clip is stylized in a way that resembles a steel tool of some kind. On the whole it seems to draw inspiration from the aesthetics of rural Japan. Long-tined SS Warranted #4 nib yields Super-Flexible variation with dip-pen-like softness verging on a Wet Noodle. It lays down a smooth and consistent XF line that widens to a 4B+ (approx 2.5mm) under very light pressure (see [WRITING SAMPLE](https://imgur.com/HW8ls4S)). Thin hairlines, astonishingly responsive snap-back, and reliable flow over its full range of flex make it another great choice for calligraphic writing styles such as Copperplate and Spencerian. **Condition:** excellent [B]. Nickel-plated trim is clean aside from some small spots of wear on the top of the clip and back/sides of the cap band (see timestamp photo). Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous surface with no deep scratches or other noteworthy blemishes – scarcely even any microscratches. Manufacturer imprint on the barrel is deep and fully legible. A wild-looking pen and a wild yet refined writer. Price: $230 SOLD

6. 1920s-30s Painted Koi Flat Top (hand-painted BHR, Koi pattern, GPT, lever filler, 14k XXF Flex nib). Measures 5 1/8” capped. I’ve never known what to make of this high quality pen, which appears to be composed of a melange of influences from US makers. The washer clip and knurled clip-lock would be right at home on a Parker Duofold or earlier Lucky Curve, the lever and lever-box bear a striking resemblance to those used by Waterman on the 52, replete with a globe on the end (but with ‘PATS’ instead of ‘Ideal’). And the clip is marked ‘Everclip’, calling to mind Eversharp! Yet the surface of the pen is unlike anything made in the West. It’s hand-painted in relief with 3 koi fish surrounded by vegetation against a background pained black. The detail work in exquisite: (DETAIL PHOTO1: https://imgur.com/txplcgH | DETAIL PHOTO2: https://imgur.com/tTV7wpE). Flexible 14k Warranted #2 nib lays down a smooth and consistent XXF line that widens to a 3B+ (approx 1.4mm) under moderate pressure (WRITING SAMPLE: https://imgur.com/oPslVav). Thin hairlines, strong snap-back, and reliable flow over its full range of flex make it another great choice for expressive writing styles. Condition: his pen’s barrel bears the professionally applied personalization of one Gustav V. Stingl. Gold-plated trim is clean with no notable flaws aside from a spot of brassing in the center of the lever. Painted surface is smooth and lustrous with no deep scratches or other noteworthy blemishes. A fascinating historical curiosity and a finely wrought, artisanal gem. Price: $470 $420

7. 1940s-50s Ohmi Yoko Navy Pen (dark green, NP cap and trim, lever filler, SS Stubby F nib). Measures 5 1/16” capped. This pen, made by the Ohmi Yoko company of Japan, is essentially a copy of a 1940s Eversharp Skyline with a white-metal cap. Stamped “Navy Pen” on barrel and nib, it’s made of a dark green plastic with what appears to be nickel-plated trim and a horizontally lined NP cap resembling the rare SS and Sterling Silver Skyline caps. SS Navy Pen nib lays down a smooth and consistent F line that’s not a full-fledged stub but does have a slightly stubby character to it (WRITING SAMPLE: https://imgur.com/jqATkYq). Condition: The plating on this pen is in pretty rough shape. Significant brassing to the lever and to one side of the cap (see timestamp photo). Plastic has smooth, lustrous surface with a few light scratches but no deep scratches or other noteworthy blemishes. Manufacturer imprint on the barrel is deep and fully legible. An interesting oddity for the Eversharp collector. Price: $70 $50

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shipping: To CONUS locations:

• USPS Priority with tracking for $9.

Please contact me for shipping quote if located overseas (delivery confirmation required).

Order, Payment, & Guarantee: Pens are placed on hold for the first person to PM me with firm request to purchase, to which I’ll reply with payment details. If I haven't received Paypal payment within 24 hrs, then they become available to the next person. All pens are guaranteed to be in the condition in which I've described them. If I've missed something or the filling mechanism is not fully functional, the buyer may contact me up to 7 days after receiving the pen for a full refund (issued once I receive the pen back in the same condition as sold). I've sold pens online for over a decade. Please check my past listings here as well as on the classifieds and historical sales forums on FPN (username: Estragon) for some of my previous offerings.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by popcod; January 29th, 2024 at 03:15 PM.
    aka Estragon (FPN); popcodswallop (Reddit)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! –> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein); Balance (grey/red fleck) | First-Yr Crest (silver cap); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, ebonized pearl, green) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: Half Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers from Diamond Medal and Webster (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)

Thanks

Default Re: FS: VINTAGE Japanese Collection

PM sent

Thanks

Default Re: FS: VINTAGE Japanese Collection

Prices reduced on remaining pens (as marked)
    aka Estragon (FPN); popcodswallop (Reddit)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! –> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein); Balance (grey/red fleck) | First-Yr Crest (silver cap); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, ebonized pearl, green) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: Half Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers from Diamond Medal and Webster (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)