Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: De Atramentis Document Blue Grey

  1. #1
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    8,380
    Thanks
    9,916
    Thanked 6,197 Times in 2,241 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Cool De Atramentis Document Blue Grey

    De Atramentis Document Blue Grey (Formerly Document Fog Grey)
    Another Document ink by De Atramentis, with an uninspired name. Ink has below average lubrication, is wet with very fast dry times on Rhodia.Ironically I most enjoyed writing/ sketching with the Japanese Ef nib. I would say, itís a better option than Akkerman #09 Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indigo.

    Cleaning was easy but for longer use you might need a pen flush nearby. Chroma is interesting, purple at the core and lighter blue at the edges.
    Chroma - DOcument Blue Grey.jpeg
    Writing Samples:
    Rhodia- DeA - Document Bl Grey.jpg

    Midori- DeA - Document Bl Grey.jpeg

    Tr 68 gr DeA - Document Bl Grey.jpeg

    Hammermill - DeA - Document Bl Grey .jpg

    Photo:
    De Atramentis BLue Grey.jpg
    Comparison:
    Comparison Blue Black.jpg
    Water test:
    Watertest DeA - Document Bl Grey.jpeg
    and finally an artwork. Lady sings the Blues...


    ∑ Pens used: Pilot Kakuno Ef, Lamy (EF/F/M/B, 1.1), Kanwrite with an Ahab nib
    ∑ What I liked: Sketching and writing with a Japanese Ef nib.
    ∑ What I did not like: The ink didnít sing for me. Too wet, low lubrication and long name.
    ∑ What some might not like: Itís pigment ink.
    ∑ Shading: Not much.
    ∑ Ghosting: With wet flex nib.
    ∑ Bleed through: Same as above.
    ∑ Flow Rate: Wet
    ∑ Lubrication: Below average.
    ∑ Nib Dry-out: Did not notice.
    ∑ Start-up: No.
    ∑ Saturation: Not really.
    ∑ Shading Potential: Faint
    ∑ Sheen: Did not notice.
    ∑ Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Did not notice.
    ∑ Nib Creep / ďCrudĒ: Did not notice.
    ∑ Staining (pen): It stains
    ∑ Clogging: No.
    ∑ Cleaning: Easy for a pigment ink, though having a cleaning solution would be wise.
    ∑ Water resistance: Excellent.
    ∑ Availability: 45 ml bottles.

    Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier
    Last edited by Yazeh; February 8th, 2024 at 11:58 AM.

  2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

    Brilliant Bill (March 23rd, 2024), catbert (January 31st, 2024), forester (February 1st, 2024), junglejim (March 28th, 2024), LizEF (January 31st, 2024), Lloyd (February 1st, 2024), Robert (January 31st, 2024), Sailor Kenshin (January 31st, 2024)

  3. #2
    Senior Member LizEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2022
    Location
    Unreality
    Posts
    760
    Thanks
    961
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 575 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: De Atramentis Document Blue Grey

    I like the chroma. I like the quotes. I like the color - on the list it goes. But I love the kitties. Poor broken-hearted water-test kitty. Who knew our little mouse friend could play the blues? I'm not sure I want to hear sketch-kitty sing - "caterwauling" isn't generally a pleasant sound...

    As to the uninspired name: I'm not sure (because I'm not the guy making and naming the inks), but I think this used to be Document Fog Grey, but people were confused by there being a Document Fog Grey and a (non-Document) Fog Grey, and so the Document version got a name change. (But I could be all wrong about this - neither is on the De Atramentis website any more. Maybe he renamed both. There are inks where the "color name" is "Fog Grey" - though this isn't one...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    I would say, itís a better option than Akkerman #09 Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indigo.
    I may have to challenge you to a duel over that statement!


    Thanks for another fun and fabulous review, Yazeh!

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

    catbert (January 31st, 2024), forester (February 8th, 2024), Yazeh (January 31st, 2024)

  5. #3
    Senior Member mizgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    3,998
    Thanks
    2,117
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: De Atramentis Document Blue Grey

    Thank you as always - I was very much hoping to see this one after the hint in the Akkerman one! Once more, a fantastic, in-depth look at an interesting ink.

    I love this colour (I think that's pretty clear now!) and once again, this is a nice chroma - actually it surprised me for ink with such good water resistance.

    I have a bottle of Document Fog Grey, and I agree with Liz that this is probably the same ink, though I wonder if there's been a subtle colour shift towards the blue side along with the renaming. I do use it, but had the same problem with poor lubrication, and as I always seem to have a pen loaded with souboku, and another with salix, I rarely reach for this one. Perhaps I should use it more - or if not, perhaps I should draw with it.

    Broken hearted kitty made me a little sad, but I love the plump lady - who looks slightly like a Russian Blue to me And we all know, it's not over until she sings...

    An unexpected treat for a dreary Wednesday 🙏

  6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

    catbert (January 31st, 2024), forester (February 1st, 2024), LizEF (January 31st, 2024), Sailor Kenshin (February 8th, 2024), Yazeh (January 31st, 2024)

  7. #4
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    8,380
    Thanks
    9,916
    Thanked 6,197 Times in 2,241 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: De Atramentis Document Blue Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post
    I like the chroma. I like the quotes. I like the color - on the list it goes. But I love the kitties. Poor broken-hearted water-test kitty. Who knew our little mouse friend could play the blues? I'm not sure I want to hear sketch-kitty sing - "caterwauling" isn't generally a pleasant sound...
    Glad it's to your liking 🙏🙏🙏 Though if mouse can play the blues, probably the cat can do quite we;;


    Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post
    As to the uninspired name: I'm not sure (because I'm not the guy making and naming the inks), but I think this used to be Document Fog Grey, but people were confused by there being a Document Fog Grey and a (non-Document) Fog Grey, and so the Document version got a name change. (But I could be all wrong about this - neither is on the De Atramentis website any more. Maybe he renamed both. There are inks where the "color name" is "Fog Grey" - though this isn't one...)
    You're absolutely right on this one. I updated my post.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    I would say, itís a better option than Akkerman #09 Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indigo.
    I may have to challenge you to a duel over that statement!
    En garde
    Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post
    Thanks for another fun and fabulous review, Yazeh!
    A pleasure!

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

    forester (February 8th, 2024), LizEF (January 31st, 2024)

  9. #5
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    8,380
    Thanks
    9,916
    Thanked 6,197 Times in 2,241 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: De Atramentis Document Blue Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Thank you as always - I was very much hoping to see this one after the hint in the Akkerman one! Once more, a fantastic, in-depth look at an interesting ink.
    🙏🙏🙏
    Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I love this colour (I think that's pretty clear now!) and once again, this is a nice chroma - actually it surprised me for ink with such good water resistance.
    It's a document ink. So if it wouldn't I would be more surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I have a bottle of Document Fog Grey, and I agree with Liz that this is probably the same ink, though I wonder if there's been a subtle colour shift towards the blue side along with the renaming. I do use it, but had the same problem with poor lubrication, and as I always seem to have a pen loaded with souboku, and another with salix, I rarely reach for this one. Perhaps I should use it more - or if not, perhaps I should draw with it.
    The Vanness website considers them the same. This one has more or less poor lubrication, but you sort of get used to it
    Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Broken hearted kitty made me a little sad, but I love the plump lady - who looks slightly like a Russian Blue to me And we all know, it's not over until she sings...

    Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    An unexpected treat for a dreary Wednesday 🙏
    A pleasure

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

    forester (February 8th, 2024), mizgeorge (January 31st, 2024)

  11. #6
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    4,014
    Thanks
    6,289
    Thanked 3,465 Times in 1,736 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: De Atramentis Document Blue Grey

    You're right about the chroma. Interesting and complex, and I like the blue-gray color of the ink itself. I would dislike the lack of lubrication.

    I may have once had one of those 'inky empty bottles' of Salix, but I don't remember if I tried to reconstitute it. If the bottle's still there, I might. But only with a dip pen!

    And need I even mention how much I love the sketches? Yes, yes I do. Kitteh looks broken-hearted, because The Blues can hit ya that way.

    Thanks, Yazeh, for your wonderful Ink-Splorations!
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

    And my other blog is a tumblr!


    And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

    forester (February 1st, 2024), LizEF (January 31st, 2024), Yazeh (February 1st, 2024)

  13. #7
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    8,380
    Thanks
    9,916
    Thanked 6,197 Times in 2,241 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: De Atramentis Document Blue Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    You're right about the chroma. Interesting and complex, and I like the blue-gray color of the ink itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I would dislike the lack of lubrication.
    Might as well go for a proper IG
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I may have once had one of those 'inky empty bottles' of Salix, but I don't remember if I tried to reconstitute it. If the bottle's still there, I might. But only with a dip pen!
    And some glorious sketches
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    And need I even mention how much I love the sketches? Yes, yes I do. Kitteh looks broken-hearted, because The Blues can hit ya that way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Thanks, Yazeh, for your wonderful Ink-Splorations!
    A pleasure!

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

    forester (February 8th, 2024), Sailor Kenshin (February 8th, 2024)

  15. #8
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    8,380
    Thanks
    9,916
    Thanked 6,197 Times in 2,241 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: De Atramentis Document Blue Grey

    Just an update. This ink stains clear sections. This is a Pilot Kakuno after having spent few hour in Monteverde cleaning solution

    De Atramentis Doucment Blue Grey.jpg

  16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

    catbert (February 8th, 2024), dneal (February 8th, 2024), forester (February 8th, 2024), LizEF (February 8th, 2024), Lloyd (February 8th, 2024), Sailor Kenshin (February 8th, 2024), sospiro (February 8th, 2024)

  17. #9
    Senior Member dneal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    6,043
    Thanks
    2,415
    Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,315 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: De Atramentis Document Blue Grey

    Good review. I discovered De Atramentis in a pen shop in Wiesbaden, and have been a huge fan of the regular line ever since.

    That said, I don't use any nano-particle ink because of staining - except in one Kaweco Sport dedicated to it.

    After cleaning, you will frequently find it stuck to the underside of the nib.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

    forester (February 8th, 2024), Yazeh (February 8th, 2024)

  19. #10
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    4,014
    Thanks
    6,289
    Thanked 3,465 Times in 1,736 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: De Atramentis Document Blue Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Just an update. This ink stains clear sections. This is a Pilot Kakuno after having spent few hour in Monteverde cleaning solution

    De Atramentis Doucment Blue Grey.jpg
    I wonder if that Noodler's Red Rattler would help. Or Sailor Douyou. They're supposed to be stain cleaner inks.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

    And my other blog is a tumblr!


    And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

    Lloyd (February 8th, 2024), Yazeh (February 9th, 2024)

  21. #11
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    8,380
    Thanks
    9,916
    Thanked 6,197 Times in 2,241 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: De Atramentis Document Blue Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post

    I wonder if that Noodler's Red Rattler would help. Or Sailor Douyou. They're supposed to be stain cleaner inks.
    YEP, I got Doyou for it's stain removing qualities

  22. #12
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    8,380
    Thanks
    9,916
    Thanked 6,197 Times in 2,241 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: De Atramentis Document Blue Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Good review. I discovered De Atramentis in a pen shop in Wiesbaden, and have been a huge fan of the regular line ever since.

    That said, I don't use any nano-particle ink because of staining - except in one Kaweco Sport dedicated to it.

    After cleaning, you will frequently find it stuck to the underside of the nib.
    Thanks! Yep Kaweco is perfect for nano-particle/ bulletproof inks

  23. #13
    Senior Member dneal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    6,043
    Thanks
    2,415
    Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,315 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: De Atramentis Document Blue Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Good review. I discovered De Atramentis in a pen shop in Wiesbaden, and have been a huge fan of the regular line ever since.

    That said, I don't use any nano-particle ink because of staining - except in one Kaweco Sport dedicated to it.

    After cleaning, you will frequently find it stuck to the underside of the nib.
    Thanks! Yep Kaweco is perfect for nano-particle/ bulletproof inks
    Well, any inexpensive pen would be suitable; but I use it in the Sport I carry around in case I need to sign something and want a 'permanent' or 'document' ink. Right now it's got Montblanc's "Permanent Blue".
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

    Lloyd (March 23rd, 2024), Yazeh (February 9th, 2024)

  25. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: De Atramentis Document Blue Grey

    Hey everyone! Let's dive into the world of PDF documents. Did you know that PDFs have come a long way in their development? They're super important for most documents we deal with today. I was reading about the journey of PDF technology on https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...i/ar-BB1i0MK11 and it's fascinating how they've evolved. So, next time you're sending or saving a document, remember to consider the importance of PDF format!
    Last edited by Mık Joger; March 25th, 2024 at 01:45 PM.

  26. #15
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    11,448
    Thanks
    6,919
    Thanked 10,435 Times in 3,999 Posts
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: De Atramentis Document Blue Grey

    Note Mık Joger is a spammer and please don't quote his post
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    Lloyd (March 23rd, 2024)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •