Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomoe Schmomoe, Give Me Iroful!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 575 Posts

Default Tomoe Schmomoe, Give Me Iroful!

(Yes, this is the same thing I posted on r/fountainpens and FPN, just had to share - way too excited about this paper.)

I like Tomoe River paper (both 52gsm and 68gsm). But I just tried Iroful paper by Sakae TP, and HOLY PAPER, BATMAN!! One sheet, one letter (which is why I'm not posting a picture), 5 inks, and I'm blown away. This should be every fountain pen user's favorite paper!

• Colors pop
    • Sheen is amazing - better than the current 52gsm TR
    • Shading is incredible - way better than the current 52gsm TR
    • Dry times are reasonable (but I'm not picky here)
    • I have not tried a glitter ink, but I can't see why they'd be any less impressive

It might be more expensive (depending on source - I got mine from JetPens, who have good prices on it), but it's worth every single penny. Go get some! If someone were to start making hardbound journals with this stuff, I'd buy at least 20 of them. When I run out of other papers (which isn't going to happen any time soon, sadly) I'll be buying this stuff - maybe even before then. In the meantime, this will become my default letter-writing paper.

Do yourself a favor, get some Iroful!

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

BlkWhiteFilmPix (February 20th, 2024), Brilliant Bill (February 19th, 2024), catbert (February 20th, 2024), Chrissy (March 16th, 2024), forester (February 20th, 2024), Jon Szanto (February 19th, 2024), manoeuver (February 20th, 2024), Robert (February 20th, 2024), Sailor Kenshin (February 20th, 2024), TSherbs (February 20th, 2024), Yazeh (February 20th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,065 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: Tomoe Schmomoe, Give Me Iroful!

Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post
    Do yourself a favor, get some Iroful!
    You are a very, very bad person.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

LizEF (February 19th, 2024), Sailor Kenshin (February 20th, 2024), soretailedcat (February 19th, 2024), Stands on Feet (February 21st, 2024), TSherbs (February 20th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    You're most welcome!

Thanks

You're most welcome!
    Ok, so... here's a weird one: I went and checked at a basic source, JetPens. And for every size and every style paper (blank/lined/grid), it costs less for MORE pages when in a bound book form, and more for FEWER sheets when bought in loose sheet. Even when both are the same size format (for instance, A5). That makes no sense to me at all, because the basic loose pages are the least effort product to make - they're the building blocks of the other. I want to buy a journal and cut the spine off!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (February 19th, 2024), Chrissy (March 16th, 2024), LizEF (February 20th, 2024), TSherbs (February 20th, 2024), Yazeh (February 20th, 2024)

Thanks

I am afraid Mr. Szanto nailed it!

I just returned from Jet Pens with two examples of this paper & another (to bring me up to the FREE SHIPPING! YAY!) of a paper by Koheba, which seemed Like something I might also enjoy exploring.........

Thanks for bring this to our attention.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to soretailedcat For This Useful Post:

LizEF (February 20th, 2024)

Thanks

I noticed that also, Jon. My problem is such a purchase carries a high % added for shipping. And to get free shipping, I think Jet is now a $35 purchase. Either way, it's a lot of money to try some paper. Good argument for pen shows, I guess.

Thanks

Ok, so... here's a weird one: I went and checked at a basic source, JetPens. And for every size and every style paper (blank/lined/grid), it costs less for MORE pages when in a bound book form, and more for FEWER sheets when bought in loose sheet. Even when both are the same size format (for instance, A5). That makes no sense to me at all, because the basic loose pages are the least effort product to make - they're the building blocks of the other. I want to buy a journal and cut the spine off!
    Hmm. Well, there's always Amazon. At the moment, $9.70 for blank A5 loose sheets... (Maybe the cheaper items on JetPens are old stock under the old price and when they re-stock the prices for the bound will go up like it has for the loose sheets?)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    I noticed that also, Jon. My problem is such a purchase carries a high % added for shipping. And to get free shipping, I think Jet is now a $35 purchase. Either way, it's a lot of money to try some paper. Good argument for pen shows, I guess.
    My PO Box address is in my profile. Write me a letter and I'll reply with a letter and a blank sheet or two.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (February 20th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

You're most welcome!
    Cutting off the spine to spite the manufacturer... I'm down with that!

I have enough paper for now, tho. But I appreciate the heads up on a new brand.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That's very kind, thank you. Perhaps I will!

My PO Box address is in my profile. Write me a letter and I'll reply with a letter and a blank sheet or two.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Well, Liz graciously sent me a few sheets, thank you!

It reminds me a lot of the 68gsm Tomoe, but it's more like a matte version. I don't see the sheen that Tomoe has. I agree the colors are rendered truer than on any other paper I've used. Dry times are moderately long. The Noodles Black Eel probably took 10 minutes to fully dry.

I don't know how helpful this rudimentary image might be, but it may be interesting to some. I've never seen BSB looking so restrained --- possibly because it's old.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 17th, 2024), Yazeh (March 16th, 2024)

Thanks

Well, Liz graciously sent me a few sheets, thank you!
    You're most welcome!

It reminds me a lot of the 68gsm Tomoe, but it's more like a matte version. I don't see the sheen that Tomoe has. I agree the colors are rendered truer than on any other paper I've used. Dry times are moderately long. The Noodles Black Eel probably took 10 minutes to fully dry.
    If I'm completely honest, I've been so impressed by the appearance of ink that I haven't actually paid that much attention to the paper itself! A couple folks on r/fountainpains seem sure it's the same as Cosmo Air Light.

I don't know how helpful this rudimentary image might be, but it may be interesting to some. I've never seen BSB looking so restrained --- possibly because it's old.
    Thanks! Let's blame digital imaging for BSB not reaching out of the screen and burning our retinas.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (March 16th, 2024), Schaumburg_Swan (March 16th, 2024), Yazeh (March 16th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 356 Posts

Sounds like great paper…but until someone over here gets a supply, it’s a bit of a stretch paying AU$103 for a couple of packs 😩
    But we get used to this here 🙄

Thanks
    Thanked 3,465 Times in 1,736 Posts

Saaayyyy.... I have some Cosmo Air Light.

Whew.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

I've been using it for 1 - 2 weeks, and I do like a lot of the ink presentations on this paper. For instance, I was about ready to give away (or throw out) 3 bottles of Sailor Manyo ink, the multiicolor-shading inks, because they were too light for legible reading. On Iroful, they are both deep enough in hue for clarity as well as ample multicolor work. If only for that reason, I keep the paper... and the inks.

However, while every other aspect about the paper is very good, I simply don't enjoy writing on it, as the surface is more matte than I care for, and it causes quite a bit more drag. This may have something in connection with being a LH writer, and pushing the nib across the page, rather than pulling it. Be that as it may, I will still default to my Tomoe and a couple of other misc papers for regular correspondence, and Iroful will fall somewhere between letter paper and art paper.

More tools in the arsenal is always a good thing. Thanks, Liz!

~ Benjamin Franklin

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (March 16th, 2024), Chrissy (March 17th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robalone View Post
    Sounds like great paper…but until someone over here gets a supply, it’s a bit of a stretch paying AU$103 for a couple of packs 😩
    But we get used to this here 🙄
    Sorry to hear it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Saaayyyy.... I have some Cosmo Air Light.

Whew.
    I'm not convinced they're the same, but I only have one weight of CAL and it's not the same weight as Iroful, so I really don't know for sure.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (March 17th, 2024)

Thanks

I've been using it for 1 - 2 weeks, and I do like a lot of the ink presentations on this paper. For instance, I was about ready to give away (or throw out) 3 bottles of Sailor Manyo ink, the multiicolor-shading inks, because they were too light for legible reading. On Iroful, they are both deep enough in hue for clarity as well as ample multicolor work. If only for that reason, I keep the paper... and the inks.
    Thanks for sharing this experience! I've always avoided those pale multicolor inks, but maybe I can stop doing that...

However, while every other aspect about the paper is very good, I simply don't enjoy writing on it, as the surface is more matte than I care for, and it causes quite a bit more drag. This may have something in connection with being a LH writer, and pushing the nib across the page, rather than pulling it. Be that as it may, I will still default to my Tomoe and a couple of other misc papers for regular correspondence, and Iroful will fall somewhere between letter paper and art paper.
    Also good no know. I'm right-handed so that particular issue isn't one I'd encounter. Also, I use finer nibs (usually fine, despite my Japanese EF reviews), and that may also impact the sensation of "drag" (I've only really noticed that from a broad nib).

More tools in the arsenal is always a good thing. Thanks, Liz!
    You're most welcome! Glad you were able to find a use for it.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 16th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,435 Times in 3,999 Posts

I've enjoyed reading this thread as I'm always interested in trying out a new/different paper. It's quite expensive to buy here but if I see it on offer and I need some paper it's on my list to try it out. Thanks everyone for all of the very helpful comments.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

LizEF (March 17th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I've enjoyed reading this thread as I'm always interested in trying out a new/different paper. It's quite expensive to buy here but if I see it on offer and I need some paper it's on my list to try it out. Thanks everyone for all of the very helpful comments.
    Feel free to send me a letter... I'll write back and include a few sheets for sampling so you know whether it's worth any further effort.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (March 17th, 2024), Chrissy (March 17th, 2024)