Thread: I am having problems with 2 pens (pilot metro and conklin duragraph)

Thanks

Default I am having problems with 2 pens (pilot metro and conklin duragraph)

Pilot Metropolitan:

It was writing fine until about one week ago I accidentally knocked it off my desk. The cap had been on, but had come either before hitting the ground or on impact. Now, the pen just suddenly stops working. I have to shake it a few times to get it working again. I tried cleaning it out, but it was doing the same thing. This all using pilot black ink cartridges. I left the parts to soak overnight. After they dry out, I will try again.

Conklin Duragraph:

It was brand new. I started out using converter and noodler's bullet proof black. It wrote dry and occasionally stopped. Then it stopped altogether. I decided to take it apart and let the parts soak overnight. I then decided to try the black ink cartridge that cam with the pen. It works okay the next time I used it. But the time after that, it suddenly stopped working again. I shook it a couple of times and it started to work again. Of course I am afraid it will continue to stop working.

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I tell you, I seem to have the worst luck with these pens. The pilot metropolitan is the 2nd I bough because I accidentally bent up the nib on the first one. In another thread on here, I talked about the leaking of the converter on my Platinum Procyon. Frustrating. Despite all this, I still love writing with fountain pens(when they work right of course)

Thanks

Default Re: I am having problems with 2 pens (pilot metro and conklin duragraph)

Re the pilot metropolitan: have you inspected the nib to see if it was damaged at all?

Re the Conklin Duragraph: sounds like the ink has caused your problem. After a thorough clean, try using a normal (not waterproof) ink. In general waterproof inks can "gum up" your pen, especially if the cap doesn't seal tightly (ink dries in the feed and nib).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaguarish For This Useful Post:

Warbler (February 21st, 2024)

Thanks

Default Re: I am having problems with 2 pens (pilot metro and conklin duragraph)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarish View Post
    Re the pilot metropolitan: have you inspected the nib to see if it was damaged at all?

Re the Conklin Duragraph: sounds like the ink has caused your problem. After a thorough clean, try using a normal (not waterproof) ink. In general waterproof inks can "gum up" your pen, especially if the cap doesn't seal tightly (ink dries in the feed and nib).
    I looked at the nib if it is damaged, it is too small for me to tell. Also I don't know all that much about what to look for

I suppose it is possible the duragraph doesn't like the noodler's bullet proof black ink. But the ink in the cartridge, it should be able to handle that. The ink cartridge came with the pen! I will keep trying to write with it, time will tell.

Thanks

Did you thoroughly clean your Duragraph before using the ink cartridge?

As for your metropolitan, try using a magnifying glass to see if anything looks crooked. For example if the feed is not straight on the nib, or the tines are not neatly sitting together (you should be able to see a hairline gap between them, where ink needs to flow).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaguarish For This Useful Post:

Warbler (February 22nd, 2024)

Thanks

Yes, I thoroughly clean the Duragraph. I soaked the parts overnight.

I will try using a magnifying class on the metro.

Thanks.

Thanks

I once had a pen suddenly not work and I soaked it so many times that I got fed up and left it soaking too long (like a month!) There was almost rust on the nib, but it works now. So, an overnight soak isn't necessarily enough.

Thanks

well I certainly don't want to soak nibs so long that they get rust on them!