Thread: Sailor Inks Drying or Evaprating Quicker

Thanks

Default Sailor Inks Drying or Evaprating Quicker

I have a Sailor pen and use Sailor ink in it also If I leave the pen for a few weeks and come back to it, the nib won't write even though there is ink in the converter. I've never had this problem with any of the fountain pens I've owned. But this is my first experience with Sailor inks too. Do Sailor inks dry or evaporate faster than other inks? The pen body and cap are wood. Could that be a factor?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,289 Times in 2,265 Posts

Default Re: Sailor Inks Drying or Evaprating Quicker

I doubt if it's an ink problem. It's more likely evaporation. i.e. the pen is not perfectly sealed

Thanks

Some Sailor inks start a bit more viscous than others so might be more prone to drying out...but "Sailor inks" is a broad range of options so it's hard to say.

As it's a wood pen, yes, they are much more prone to drying out, simply because wood isn't very watertight.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,479 Times in 4,007 Posts

I agree that it's probably evaporation due to the pen seal and all pens can behave differently in this respect regardless of what they are made from.
    I have Waterman and some Parker pens that have slip on caps and they dry out ink if left for a day yet TWSBI and Montblanc pens that never dry out even if left for months.

A recommendation I was given is to store those pens that dry out quickly nib up then when you come to write with them you are getting fresh ink from the converter or cartridge down into the feed. Also, unlike pens that are stored nib down or horizontal you're not constantly letting fresh ink soak down into the dried out feed from the full cartridge or converter. This has definitely worked for me with a Waterman Phileas that used to always have an empty converter when I came to write with it. Now, although what was in the feed might dry out a bit, the converter still has ink in there. A decent result.

Oh and I don't use expensive inks in those pens I know are more likely to dry out. That's probably just me trying to save my more expensive inks. LOL
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Lithium466 (February 22nd, 2024), Yazeh (February 22nd, 2024)

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I cleaned the pen out and filled it with Pilot ink this time. I don't know if that will make any difference. I do find myself tightening the cap trying to get a better seal. I'm worried about damaging the threads on it This is not an inexpensive pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,479 Times in 4,007 Posts

I don't have any Sailor pens so can't comment on their caps or threads but I've received a Virginia Woolf WE back from Montblanc service dept that had it's cap on so much tighter than I screw it on I needed a rubber glove to remove it.
    Like you I'm always concerned about threads. Maybe Montblanc know something we don't?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

I had the same reaction when I received my Platinum President (no slip and seal on this one), from factory it was extremely tight :/ (and no, it doesn't seal super well)

That said wooden pens will dry out faster than comparable plastic or metal pens. I don't know if the Sailor wooden pens have the same inside cap as their regular plastic or ebonite lines, these are usually pretty good.