Thread: Ink Review: Cult Pens Christ the Redeemer - Diamine Exclusive - Wonders of the World

Thanks
    Thanked 10,516 Times in 4,021 Posts

Default Ink Review: Cult Pens Christ the Redeemer - Diamine Exclusive - Wonders of the World

Today I'm reviewing Cult Pens Christ The Redeemer ink, one of their exclusive Diamine Inks. It is one of a series of inks inspired by modern Wonders of the World and by 'modern' they mean still in existence. This is what Cult Pens says about this ink:

“Probably the most recognisable man-made structure in South America and one of the most recognisable structures in the world, Christ the Redeemer is an Art Deco statue of Jesus Christ located in Rio de Janeiro. It was constructed by Heitor da Silva Costa and Paul Landowski in collaboration with Albert Caquot and Gheorghe Leonida in 1931. It's made of reinforced concrete - which has inspired the grey colour from this ink - and soapstone.”

Christ The Redeemer is a blueish grey ink like the colour of the original concrete used to build the structure. It’s a medium saturated ink with good flow that feels wetter when writing with broader nibs. Lubrication across the page felt nice and smooth.

It didn’t suffer from any hard starts or non-starts when I put the uncapped pen down to do swab tests, dry times and water resistance. It dried quickly on most papers and once dry it didn’t smudge or smear.

There were no start-up problems after leaving the pens overnight.

I saw show through and bits of bleed through on some of the papers I used. I only saw a couple of dots of bleed through on the original Xerox sheet.

There was a bit of shading but no sheen.

• Flow Rate: Good. Wetter with broader nibs.
    • Lubrication: Good. Nice and smooth across the papers.
    • Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
    • Start-up: Immediate.
    • Saturation: Medium saturation ink.
    • Shading Potential: A bit of shading seen.
    • Sheen: No sheen seen.
    • Show-Through: Some seen on alternate papers: Exacompta, Rhodia Bloc and Whitelines
    • Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Not seen.
    • Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen.
    • Staining (pen): Not seen after several days in the pen. Very easy clean-up.
    • Staining (hands): Clean after one wash.
    • Clogging: Not seen. Seems unlikely.
    • Water resistance: Not sold as waterproof but exhibits surprising water resistance.
    • Availability: 80ml glass bottles or 30ml plastic bottles exclusively available from Cult Pens, UK.

My thanks to Diamine Inks for sending me this sample to review.

Christ The Redeemer.jpegChrist The Redeemer 1.jpeg
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 9th, 2024 at 02:52 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Brilliant Bill (March 21st, 2024), catbert (March 9th, 2024), DrPenfection (March 19th, 2024), forester (March 9th, 2024), junglejim (March 28th, 2024), LizEF (March 9th, 2024), Lloyd (March 9th, 2024), mizgeorge (March 9th, 2024), Sailor Kenshin (March 9th, 2024), Schaumburg_Swan (March 9th, 2024), Scrawler (April 6th, 2024), TSherbs (March 20th, 2024), Yazeh (March 9th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,262 Posts

Default Re: Ink Review: Cult Pens Christ the Redeemer - Diamine Exclusive - Wonders of the Wo

This is another of the inks from this series that I really like, and use a lot. I love grey inks, but this has a bit of complexity, and decent water resistance, making it a very easy choice for even quite fine nibs for me.

The interesting chroma makes it fun for art too.

Thank you Chrissy

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 9th, 2024), DrPenfection (March 19th, 2024), forester (March 20th, 2024), Lloyd (March 9th, 2024), MKeith (March 19th, 2024), Sailor Kenshin (March 9th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,334 Times in 2,283 Posts

Default Re: Ink Review: Cult Pens Christ the Redeemer - Diamine Exclusive - Wonders of the Wo

Thanks Chrissy for another excellent review. This is a gorgeous colour and seems great for sketching especially

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 9th, 2024), DrPenfection (March 19th, 2024), forester (March 20th, 2024), Scrawler (April 6th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 586 Posts

Thank you for the very comprehensive review, Chrissy! Perhaps I need to be a sketcher, or perhaps after winter I'm tired of grey, but the color just seems grey on my monitor... That said, reading the name and opening lines, I first thought, "What!? Have Diamine created a white ink?" Anywho, interesting to learn more about the statue and about the ink - thank you!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 9th, 2024), DrPenfection (March 19th, 2024), forester (March 20th, 2024)

Thanks

Thank you. Lovely unboring grey ink. If I didn't have far to much I'd buy a bottle.
    Add Lightness and Simplicate

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karmachanic For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 9th, 2024), DrPenfection (March 19th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    This is another of the inks from this series that I really like, and use a lot. I love grey inks, but this has a bit of complexity, and decent water resistance, making it a very easy choice for even quite fine nibs for me.

The interesting chroma makes it fun for art too.

Thank you Chrissy
    You're welcome. Definitely some blue in the chroma and a decent grey ink - for those who like grey inks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Thanks Chrissy for another excellent review. This is a gorgeous colour and seems great for sketching especially
    You're welcome. I haven't used it for sketching but may do that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (March 9th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post
    Thank you for the very comprehensive review, Chrissy! Perhaps I need to be a sketcher, or perhaps after winter I'm tired of grey, but the color just seems grey on my monitor... That said, reading the name and opening lines, I first thought, "What!? Have Diamine created a white ink?" Anywho, interesting to learn more about the statue and about the ink - thank you!
    You're welcome. When I first read what Cult Pens wrote about it I also thought white ink?? Then they mention the reinforced concrete that I can only assume is grey since I've never seen the statue in real life.
    The chroma was an interesting mix but when the pen was dipped into clean water I was surprised to see that water was instantly blue. Not even the slightest grey.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

LizEF (March 9th, 2024), Lloyd (March 9th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by karmachanic View Post
    Thank you. Lovely unboring grey ink. If I didn't have far to much I'd buy a bottle.
    You're welcome. I also have far too much ink. *Sigh*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,176 Times in 698 Posts

Great review, Chrissy. Thank you for doing it.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 20th, 2024), Scrawler (April 6th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    Great review, Chrissy. Thank you for doing it.
    You're welcome.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Dislike the name of this ink, but I love the chroma and the potential. Thanks for the review.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 20th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Dislike the name of this ink, but I love the chroma and the potential. Thanks for the review.
    You're welcome.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 660 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    To me, having "Cult" pens issue an ink with this name seems appropriate.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 5th, 2024), Yazeh (March 21st, 2024)

Thanks

Someone should write a story about the naming of fountain pen inks. There may be no other consumer product so interesting. I give the crown for unusual names to the Japanese --- Indigo Seaweed, anyone? This one, however, takes the crown for unique names.

As for gray/grey ink, I'm standing firm with my Lexington Gray. I've never found a better gray for my needs.

Thanks for the interesting review and a lot of effort!!

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 21st, 2024), Lloyd (March 21st, 2024), Scrawler (April 6th, 2024), Yazeh (March 21st, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    Someone should write a story about the naming of fountain pen inks. There may be no other consumer product so interesting. I give the crown for unusual names to the Japanese --- Indigo Seaweed, anyone? This one, however, takes the crown for unique names.

As for gray/grey ink, I'm standing firm with my Lexington Gray. I've never found a better gray for my needs.

Thanks for the interesting review and a lot of effort!!
    You're welcome. And you're right about interesting ink names.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (March 21st, 2024)