Thread: Jinhao 9019??

Thanks

Arrow Jinhao 9019??

Anyone have experience with the Jihnao 9019 pens?

They have some interesting characteristics. They are the size of big Montblancs and King of Pen. They use an enormous #8 nib (M, F & EF), and they have a cartridge converter that seems to hold a tanker truck of ink. Reviewers all seem to view them favorably --- and you can get one for less than $15. I'm going to order one and see. What the heck, it's that or a pizza!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 660 Posts

Default Re: Jinhao 9019??

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    Anyone have experience with the Jihnao 9019 pens?

They have some interesting characteristics. They are the size of big Montblancs and King of Pen. They use an enormous #8 nib (M, F & EF), and they have a cartridge converter that seems to hold a tanker truck of ink. Reviewers all seem to view them favorably --- and you can get one for less than $15. I'm going to order one and see. What the heck, it's that or a pizza!
    Geez...I hope you can afford both.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (March 14th, 2024)

Thanks

Such are the choices of an old pensioner!! I prefer it to the alternatives.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

Bill, here are my impressions. I invested in a couple of pens to help out some of the new members of our local pen club to try them, as well as to have awareness of items in the current pen production world.

I bought two of the Jinhao 9019 pens, first a solid burgundy model (not shown) and, soon after, a clear demonstrator. Within a couple of weeks I added a Wing Sung / Junlai (you can find them, for some reason, under both names) 630, in basic black. This first photos shows the two pens side by side, the Jinhao on the right. It is just slightly bigger, but I think the Junlai is closer to an MB 149 in size. In point of fact, it looks to be a pretty straight-forward copy of the pen, including the look of the nib.

Both pens have large, #8 nibs, and at least in my examples, this was one difference: the Junlai was a more enjoyable writer, with just a hint of cushion or softness imparted by the size of the nib, and it wrote well and consistently; the Jinhao was stiffer, but seemed to write well enough. Both have copious ink capacities, with the Junlai being a piston filler (with an ink window that can't be seen here, due to dark ink) and the Jinhao having the very large converter. In the third photo I decided to show this next to a Sailor Professional Gear, full-size, with a Sailor converter to give a good view of how big this is.

The demo Jinhao was tried with a couple of inks and then I decided to use a really interesting ink that I enjoy but have had a hard time finding a host for it: Vinta Sandugo. It is a hyper-saturated red ink that develops a matte green/gold sheen, and it really dramatic in correspondence, but almost all pens have eventually had problems drying and balking (fixed by a quick dip of the tip in water) with this ink, but for whatever reason, this Jinhao absolutely writes, week after week, first time, even after many days of non-use. Quite impressive.

Both pens exhibit quite good build quality and finish and presented zero issues in terms of look or function, with the only caveat being the threads on the Junlai a tad tight at first, easily remedied. After a month or two with each, I settled on the Junlai as the better pen for me, due to the piston fill, a better nib experience, and being just a bit more comfortable in the hand. The solid color Jinhao just look too big and clunky, and in the hand feel to be a tiny bit beyond what I want to be slinging around, but again, that is my hand. The demonstrator is very well done, superbly transparent acrylic, and the converter is a remarkable piece of work (I did add a small o-ring on the metal piston knob to keep it from rattling a bit in the end of the barrel). The Junlai / Wing Sung is a bit more expensive, but I would pay that again (low $20s) because it is more comfortable for me to write with. Sharing these at pen club found people somewhat equally divided between which pen they were drawn to. For a basic writing experience without any eye candy, these are both pens that look like they will perform well for many years and are comfortable writers. HTH!

Last edited by Jon Szanto; March 14th, 2024 at 02:12 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Barry B. Gabay (March 15th, 2024), Brilliant Bill (March 14th, 2024), catbert (March 14th, 2024), Chrissy (March 24th, 2024), manoeuver (March 22nd, 2024), MKeith (April 17th, 2024), Robert (March 14th, 2024), Scrawler (March 16th, 2024), Stands on Feet (March 14th, 2024), Yazeh (March 23rd, 2024)

Thanks

Thank you, Jon. I appreciate this very much. The Junlai looks good, but I don't like piston fillers --- and the price I'm seeing is around $35. I'll let you know what I think when I get the Jinhao.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 14th, 2024), Lloyd (March 15th, 2024)

Thanks

Well, I picked up the Jinhao a couple of days ago. My experience does not reflect what I've seen online. First off, it did not come in the TWSBI-style box I saw in reviews. It was just stuck into a cellphone envelope and tossed into the Amazon box along with water filters and a couple of glass measuring cups. I'm surprised it didn't get more beat up.

Visually, it's a beautiful pen. The feel is just a bit cheap, not enough to be troubling, but enough to know you're not handling an expensive piece. I found the barrel had to be tightened more that I really like against that O-ring to keep it from creaking when used. The nib was too big to fit into the bottle I use for ink so I had to inject ink into the converter. The worst part is that it's dry to the point of being unusable. I like the size, and it feels good in the hand, my hand anyway. Anyway, it's going back.

Funny, I don't have much luck with Jihnao. Some years ago I bought their 159, the old brass version. I hated it. I took it to a local pen club meeting and tried to give it away --- no one would take it!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 24th, 2024), Deb (March 23rd, 2024), Lloyd (March 22nd, 2024), Yazeh (March 23rd, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,513 Times in 4,020 Posts

I need to try to have a look at this Juniai pen that's a piston filler. It sounds quite interesting.
    Thank you both for your thoughts.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (March 24th, 2024)