Thread: EFNIR: Pelikan 4001 Turquoise

Thanks
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 586 Posts

Default EFNIR: Pelikan 4001 Turquoise

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Pelikan 4001 Turquoise

This is review #277 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: The microscope slide had nothing new or terribly interesting. Cleaning was quick and easy, but this is the sort of ink that dries and then flakes everywhere (invisibly, of course) when you open the bottle or remove the converter. So expect spots of turquoise to show up around wherever you've opened the bottle or filled the pen. Fortunately, plain water removes the ink. Personally, I'd go with a turquoise that has better lubrication, but otherwise, this ink is about as good as all the rest.

The cameras didn't really like this color. They wanted to make it cyan, and all of them did something different. Further, I couldn't really figure out how to correct the colors very well. Please rely on the comparisons - it really does look almost exactly like all those other turquoises.

Zoomed in photo (A little too cyan, but I can't seem to make it any better, so leaving it as-is.)

Screenshot (This seems to be the closest to what my eyes see.)

Scan of Completed Review (On one monitor, it's too cyan and light. On the other, it's too blue, but about right for darkness. It makes a person want to give up...)

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (The absorbent paper image is closer to reality than the copy paper, but they're not awful. )

Line width (The "I" in "Ink:". Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 317µm. With 277 inks measured, the average line width is 296µm.)

Previous Review: Noodler's Pasternak.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (March 19th, 2024), catbert (March 19th, 2024), forester (March 19th, 2024), junglejim (March 28th, 2024), Lithium466 (March 19th, 2024), Lloyd (March 19th, 2024), MKeith (March 19th, 2024), Sailor Kenshin (March 19th, 2024), Yazeh (March 19th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,282 Posts

Default Re: EFNIR: Pelikan 4001 Turquoise

Excellent review for a (slim) flaky ink

When the land began to churn I though we're back to agent orange and Earl of Grey and Viscount- E
    Now, I'm curious what is Quin's new gift, maybe from a great, great grandmother?
    Only time will say

Thanks for making us tread on the wild side 🙏🙏🙏

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (March 19th, 2024), LizEF (March 19th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,503 Times in 1,754 Posts

I had this ink! And Lamy Turquoise (still do), and however many Varsities. I don't really remember the flakes, but it's been a while. I'm a fan of turquoise, having the color from not only Lamy, but Waterman, InkVent, Montblanc, and who knows what else.

But evidently Pelikan Turquoise failed to impress me. I do recall dumping it into a half-full bottle of iron gall Pel Blue Black, which resulted in a dark green that hates all pens.

Green is a commonplace color in nature. When I think of nature, not only do I think of all the many greens, but also endless yard work.

I'm writing two books at once, going back 'n' forth. One of the many things I love about your saga is how very different characters, with strength and weakness, and conflict, come together, and eventually grow to love and depend on one another.

Thanks, Liz, for the Tuesday Special.

My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

LizEF (March 19th, 2024), Lloyd (March 19th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Excellent review for a (slim) flaky ink
    Thanks!

When the land began to churn I though we're back to agent orange and Earl of Grey and Viscount- E

Now, I'm curious what is Quin's new gift, maybe from a great, great grandmother?
    Only time will say
    A week of time, to be exact.

Thanks for making us tread on the wild side 🙏🙏🙏
    You're most welcome!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (March 19th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I had this ink! And Lamy Turquoise (still do), and however many Varsities. I don't really remember the flakes, but it's been a while. I'm a fan of turquoise, having the color from not only Lamy, but Waterman, InkVent, Montblanc, and who knows what else.
    I've had a few inks that do the "flakes" thing. Always inks that sheen, and it only happens if the ink dries on the threads. I think some inks climb the bottle and creep into the threads on their own, though...

But evidently Pelikan Turquoise failed to impress me. I do recall dumping it into a half-full bottle of iron gall Pel Blue Black, which resulted in a dark green that hates all pens.
    Brave soul, dumping a dye-ink into iron gall.

Green is a commonplace color in nature. When I think of nature, not only do I think of all the many greens, but also endless yard work.
    Noooo! I hate yard work. Tomorrow I have to attach the rake-thing to the back of the riding mower and do the whole "rake out dead grass" thing. Even though I bag the grass when I mow, it still seems like my yard benefits from the whole "drag a rake through it to scrape out dead vegetation" thing...

I'm writing two books at once, going back 'n' forth.
    Not sure I would be able to keep the characters distinct. I'd have their emotions and personalities all mashed together...

One of the many things I love about your saga is how very different characters, with strength and weakness, and conflict, come together, and eventually grow to love and depend on one another.
    Thank you! I truly appreciate the kind words. Means a lot to me.

Thanks, Liz, for the Tuesday Special.
    You're most welcome!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,262 Posts

Sorry I'm so late to the party - it's not been the best week.

Thank you as always though Liz for a thorough review of a rather dull ink. It doesn't offend me, and I know I have it somewhere, but can't remember the last time I used it, which I suppose says all it needs to.

The story, however, is far from dull. Ironwood trees surely must produce super-galls? And what's in the pack? I'm so looking forward to next week, and luckily I am due to get some lovely new iron-laden blood (though probably not from the mystical tree) on Monday so should be feeling far better and ready to appreciate the next instalment...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (March 21st, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Sorry I'm so late to the party - it's not been the best week.
    No worries. Totally understand.

Thank you as always though Liz for a thorough review of a rather dull ink. It doesn't offend me, and I know I have it somewhere, but can't remember the last time I used it, which I suppose says all it needs to.
    You're very welcome!

The story, however, is far from dull. Ironwood trees surely must produce super-galls? And what's in the pack? I'm so looking forward to next week, and luckily I am due to get some lovely new iron-laden blood (though probably not from the mystical tree) on Monday so should be feeling far better and ready to appreciate the next instalment...
    Hope the transfusion goes well! All the best to you.