Thread: Vintage 1930s BCHR Wahl pen with Waterman no. 2 flex nib

Thanks

Cool Vintage 1930s BCHR Wahl pen with Waterman no. 2 flex nib

Flexible nibbed pens seem to be the Flavor of the Month these days. Prices on the Bay are really high. But you can have a really decent, well-restored flex nib pen without spending over a $100. I have for sale this little lever-fill pen made by Wahl. It was outfitted (retro-fitted?) by a professional restorer with a flex Waterman nib.

Now before we go any further maybe we should define just what is meant by "a flex pen". I've found a helpful standard developed by Mauricio at his wonderful pen site, http://www.vintagepen.net/ In his section entitled "Grading Flex Pens" the meister sets up this schemata:
    FIRM (Flexibility scale = Zero): Rigid nib with no springiness or flexibility at all. Also known as a “nail”.
    SLIGHT FLEX (Flexibility scale ranging from 1 to 30) : The nib tines flex modestly with substantial pressure applied.
    MEDIUM FLEX (Flexibility scale from 31 to 60): The nib tines flex significantly with substantial pressure applied. Also known as “semi-flex”.
    SUPER FLEX (Flexibility scale from 61 to 80): The nib tines flex tremendously with moderate to substantial pressure applied.
    WET NOODLE (Flexibility scale from 81 to 100): The nib tines flex tremendously even with very little to moderate pressure applied. This nib resembles a paint brush.

My Wahl-Waterman would be called a medium flex by Mauricio's system.

This is a neat little pen. It writes reminiscent of a Noodler flex pen only of course alot better since the nib is 14kt gold, not steel. That's where it parts company with a Noodler. But it does take about the same amount of pressure to get the flex to function. The flow keeps up better as well with less rail-roading.

Capped the pen is 110 mm. (like a Kaweco Sport). Posted it is 140 mm. A very comfortable writing size for smaller hands. When not in flex mode the nib is a fine and you have to be able to enjoy writing with a fine nibbed pen in normal writing. Pen is as shown in the photos, a lovely brown patina that developed from the original black hard rubber material. Oh and the ring etc is missing from the top of the cap.

I am looking to sell it for $55.00, postpaid. Any questions please feel free to contact me via Private Messaging here or via email. And thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (43.6 KB, 62 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (47.4 KB, 62 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (57.9 KB, 62 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (93.2 KB, 62 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.JPG (52.0 KB, 63 views)
    Last edited by Saintpaulia; September 30th, 2013 at 09:40 AM.
    I'm discovering vintage pens. Oh no!