Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mystery Inks #57, #58 and #59

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 443 Posts

Default Re: Mystery Inks #57, #58 and #59

mreeveship, I don't know if you have one but it might be good to invest in a rubber ear washing bulb that's used for babies. They can be bought at a local drugstore (CVS, Rite-Aid, Walmart) and are really really useful for flushing out nibs on converter pens. You may have to adjust the thickness by cutting the end of the nozzle on the bulb so it fits securely in the hole where the ink converter goes in. Be sure you flush out, then put the nib back into the water and suck-in to get a complete flush. Most people forget that part. Flush until the water runs clear ( usually just 2 or 3 times. )

The bulbs look like this: https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Suctio...6480072&sr=8-8

and can be found in the baby section aisle where the diapers are.
    " And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time " - TS Eliot

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 24th, 2024), Sailor Kenshin (May 23rd, 2024), Yazeh (May 23rd, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,647 Times in 1,805 Posts

Thanks for the reminder that I need a new one.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 6,635 Times in 2,378 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 10,625 Times in 4,067 Posts

The rubber bulb end is softer and pliable and works in many more pen brands than a fixed and hard end syringe. Also when it's filled with water you can press it inside the section and hold both parts together to give a really powerful squeeze without any fear of breaking off the nipple with the hard end of a syringe that may not fit the same way that the correct converter does. A standard syringe won't fit properly into a Lamy converter pen for sure.

With Lamy Al-stars and Safaris you also have to be dextrous enough to hold the rubber bulb into the section, and block the slots that hold the converter in or you will get wet. Don't ask me how I know....
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (May 24th, 2024), Yazeh (May 23rd, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 702 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Be sure you flush out, then put the nib back into the water and suck-in to get a complete flush. Most people forget that part. Flush until the water runs clear ( usually just 2 or 3 times. )
    I've never "inhaled" (for once, not a Clinton reference). I've only pushed water outward. Is it useful to draw water back through the nib?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (May 25th, 2024)

Thanks

I find it especially useful for multi parts feeds (some Pilot feeds, for example), otherwise I noticed you'll have some leftover ink traces.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lithium466 For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (May 24th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,647 Times in 1,805 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    How do you manage this? I have the same syringes.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 6,635 Times in 2,378 Posts

You need to hold the nozzle of the syringe to the section and hold it with one hand and push with the other hand. With Lamy Safari one has to be more careful as one can bend the plastic strips holding the convertor.
    I use it to expel the excess ink and then I lit it soak.

Ironically, you can see that despite the pen having soaking for few hours in a Monteverde solution and a few days in water, the Koh-I-Noor document blue I reviewed recently has leaved its trace

20240525_092041.jpg

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (May 25th, 2024)

Thanks

After seeing the image I believe the ear bulb is easier as it goes further into the section.

Thankfully I don't need or use any document inks for the highlighted reason.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (May 25th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Must be a pen problem as it writes perfectly well in my Lamy Safari and Al-Stars. Suggest you might need to give your pens a really good clean to ensure none of the channels are blocked from other inks that may not play well with your later inks. Alternatively your caps are no longer tight and forming a decent seal when left overnight. Always leave them nib up so that ink doesn't dry out inside the feed to the nib and it all drains back into the converter and the collector
    I gave the lamy another deep clean and it is still struggling but not quite as bad now it's just somewhat hard start but doesn't start writing black before finally changing to purple, I had noodlers purple in it before this ink with no problems at all. It is still having flow issues where it stops writing and takes some shaking to get it going again. My cross medium (don't know the model) started writing no problem but the ink was very very dark so I flushed the ink out and refilled it and now it's writing good but still darker at times until it really gets flowing and this is a pen that usually feeds anything no problem. I noticed the ink in the vial is sticking to the walls more than other inks I've seen in the vial and almost looks like very tiny bits that stick to the walls when I give the ink a little shake. So I don't know if that might be some of the problem like maybe there is air getting into the vial or something.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mreeveshp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Must be a pen problem as it writes perfectly well in my Lamy Safari and Al-Stars. Suggest you might need to give your pens a really good clean to ensure none of the channels are blocked from other inks that may not play well with your later inks. Alternatively your caps are no longer tight and forming a decent seal when left overnight. Always leave them nib up so that ink doesn't dry out inside the feed to the nib and it all drains back into the converter and the collector
    I gave the lamy another deep clean and it is still struggling but not quite as bad now it's just somewhat hard start but doesn't start writing black before finally changing to purple, I had noodlers purple in it before this ink with no problems at all. It is still having flow issues where it stops writing and takes some shaking to get it going again. My cross medium (don't know the model) started writing no problem but the ink was very very dark so I flushed the ink out and refilled it and now it's writing good but still darker at times until it really gets flowing and this is a pen that usually feeds anything no problem. I noticed the ink in the vial is sticking to the walls more than other inks I've seen in the vial and almost looks like very tiny bits that stick to the walls when I give the ink a little shake. So I don't know if that might be some of the problem like maybe there is air getting into the vial or something.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    Noodler's inks don't play well with other ink brands and are more difficult to clean out of pens than standard water based dye inks. From what you say it seems like the Diamine Pansy might have reacted with the remains of the Noodler's ink inside the narrow feed channels of your pen. If it was my pen I would keep it only for Noodler's inks and not try to swap ink brands unless I could give my pen a really good clean in an ultrasonic cleaner (usc) to be sure it was completely free of any remains of Noodler's ink before I filled it with a different brand.

I've tried mixing a little Noodler's ink with a little Diamine ink before and ended up with some sort of thick sludge. I wouldn't want to do that in a pen. If you don't have a usc then I would give it a soak in a strong pen cleaner like Rapidoeze to be sure to get it properly clean.

If an ink gets darker while it's inside a pen then doesn't start well or starts darker it's often a cap problem. The cap may not be fitting as well as it did when the pen was new and isn't sealing as well as it used to.

Inks vary in how viscous they are and some might stick to the inside of vials more than others. That's usually fixed by using them in cartridges or converters that contain an agitator - usually a small ball bearing. That serves to ensure the friction is broken and the ink always goes down to the feed.