Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need gift suggestions

Thanks

Default Need gift suggestions

My nephew is defending his doctoral dissertation on the 15th and I want to get him something special. When I defended my dissertation (a long long time ago) I was given a beautiful handmade fountain pen from a fellow colleague and Ph.D. Both of us were avid collectors so he knew I would love the pen. I was wanting to do something similar for my nephew. Unfortunately, I don't know that he would necessarily appreciate a fountain pen the way I do. His specialty is cybersecurity which makes him an engineer of sorts. I was thinking a nice pen pencil set (FP, BP, RB, Pencil or some combo). At first, I thought a Lamy 2000, but they aren't sold as a set. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Default Re: Need gift suggestions

I like the Lamy idea and really like that you are doing something so special for your nephew, you may have a larger impact than you imagine or even start him down this hobby path. When I finished undergrad my mother bought me a Lamy from a shop in Chicago and I still enjoy it. I think a Lamy AL is a fun one as it will age as he does. You can find Sailor Pro Gear Slim for 75 dollars, 1911 for 100 dollars, M200 for under 150. Those would all be my choices for a new pen aficionado!

Thanks

Those are all good suggestions. I might get him the 2000 and a matching pencil with a pen case so he can carry them as a set. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Thanks

The Lamy 2000 is an excellent choice - practical and understated, perhaps with a nice DeAtrimentis Documental ink in his favorite color. Lamy does make a 4 color ballpoint pen in the 2000 series which makes an exceptional traveling partner, and I use frequently with my fountain pen. You might pair these with a black Lochby zippered pocket notebook, which has been a handy companion in my I.T. work, especially in places I can’t carry a cell phone or electronic devices.

I hope this helps. Great to be a part of this community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Yes, I'm still leaning towards the Lamy. As much as I love my fountain pens, I might pop for a rollerball or ballpoint and a matching pencil. I was looking at the 4 color ballpoint but I think it might be a little gimicky. I'll looking into the Lochby. I'm not familiar with it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks

Although it is not a usual American thing, in the British Commonwealth, engineers wear an iron ring on the “dominant” pinkie. You could get a jeweler to make one (?)

Thanks

This is my opinion only but I don't think the LAMY 2000 is neccessarily a good starting point for someone whom you want to 'like' fountain pens. To me the L2K is more renowned for its physical design 'styling' features than its practical usability -- again my opinion. I would recommend you review some of the many online reviews, written and videoed, and heed the 'Cons' side before pulling your trigger! I would strive for a pen reknown as being 'a good writer', if your rewardee is to enjoy using it, especially long-term.

My experience: I slaved and saved until I could buy one when I was in the learning collector stage and finally got a new L2K, and was very satisfied with its physical appearance et al, but with my aging & somewhat drier hand skin, when nib touched paper the pen would literally almost squirt right up out of my grip. I've tried about everything but taping it to my hand - and alas, frankly, the pen is just flat-out unusable for me. And I think you'll discover [exo reviews], I'm not the only one in that boat.

Your nephew might love it, use it, and cherish it - but for me, knowing what I know, it's too much of a gamble.
    Still, a very nice gesture on your part -- good luck in your quest!
    My tuppence,
    ~_/.
    Last edited by ~JJ; April 7th, 2024 at 07:07 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ~JJ For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (April 7th, 2024)

Thanks

That's an interesting perspective that I haven't thought about. I have a 2000 and it sits along with many of my pens that I don't really use. But it's so popular and not extraordinarily expensive, I thought it would be a nice option for him. I'll keep looking around. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,446 Times in 2,524 Posts

For that accomplishment? A pre-1990 149 or 146.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (April 9th, 2024), Joseph H (April 10th, 2024), Lloyd (April 7th, 2024), LSK333 (April 8th, 2024)

Thanks

I thought about a beautiful 146 or 149 but I didn't want to buy him something used and the new ones are ridiculous. As pen collectors, buying a used pen doesn't bother us one bit because we know what we're looking for. But a newby? I didn't want him wondering what old Aunt Laura was thinking. I actually just popped for a new classic Pelikan M600 in green stripe with a medium two-toned nib. I found a great deal on Ebay so I went for it. Pelikan's are among my favorites, and they're classy. And what's not to love about the green stripe? So, problem solved. I'll get him a couple of bottles of ink - blue and black, I think and let's see if he develops a passion.

Thank you all for your ideas. I really appreciate it. Pen collectors are the best!!!

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LSK333 For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (April 9th, 2024), FredRydr (April 7th, 2024), Joseph H (April 10th, 2024), Lloyd (April 7th, 2024), ~JJ (April 7th, 2024)

Thanks

Another wonderful choice! I hope you found one with the translucent barrel. The new “new” ones that I have seen are solid. DeAtrimentis Documental Moss Green is a beautiful ink. Hope he enjoys this gift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Radonactionservices For This Useful Post:

LSK333 (April 8th, 2024)

Thanks

I got him the classic green stripe with black cap. I thought it would serve him well. They hold a lot of ink, easy to swap nibs and care for, and will last a very long time if he cares for it. And, if he decides it's not for him, I'll help him sell it and he can use the cash for something else. I bought him two bottles of Waterman ink (Intense Black and Mysterious Blue) and I have several bottles of Sheaffer Green (looks like turquoise) due to an error by Amazon, so I'm sending one of those too. They're all well-behaved and won't clog up his pen. I hope he enjoys them.

Thanks

That is a stunning choice! I have a M800 that is a favorite of mine. May be use it in good health!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRhys For This Useful Post:

LSK333 (April 8th, 2024)

Thanks

Yeahhh... to me that green-stripe has always said "Money!"
    Now, just keep it away from red ink!! 🤣

Thanks

I'll be sure to give him that advice when I send him the pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,446 Times in 2,524 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LSK333 View Post
    And give him this link. https://thepelikansperch.com He'll either be hooked, or think you're nuts.

Thanks

I have a feeling I don't have to share this link with him for him to think I'm nuts! But I will anyway. I think he'll get a kick out of it.

I like the M600 Red Stripe!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LSK333 View Post
    And give him this link. https://thepelikansperch.com He'll either be hooked, or think you're nuts.

X10 Fred!

Also, I want to add that The Pelican's Perch is a noteworthy site for those not exposed to it. The young doctor who owns this site does a great job, especially with his photography and subject matter. He covers subjects like the dating of common Pelikans, pen reviews, reference materials, writing samples of Pelikan nibs (which held some surprises for me), and other valuable bits and pieces!

If you haven't done so, please visit the Perch. Methinks you will be at least mildly absorbed and likely place a browser bookmark to keep it close at hand. 👌

Nice photography

Last edited by Bisquitlips; April 9th, 2024 at 12:07 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Bisquitlips For This Useful Post:

LSK333 (April 9th, 2024)

Thanks

Lovely collection and, yes, great photography!

Thanks

A rapier and musket set perhaps? Those post-Doctoral defences can be quite fierce, yet one is expected defend one's thesis like a gentleman.

If you are looking for gift sets - Pelikan Jazz looks like a nice set, Cross have a range for different budgets - the Cross Century II is the better one - as it's not too slim - and you'll probably get a good price on online sellers.

Caran d'ache have a nice range too - look at their 849 and sets. A ballpoint and mecahnical pencil.

Avoid the Parker Jotter & IM sets - maybe a Sonnet set - if it fits your budget.

You could get them engraved for free/a small extra fee.