Thread: Color Deterioration???

Thanks

Question Color Deterioration???

I know we've had discussions about inks "going bad," and consensus seems to be time does not have much affect. However, I'm starting to wonder about the loss of color intensity and overall veracity over time. My first inkling of this was when my Noodle's Baystate Blue seemed to have lost its brilliance. Then I looked at a Sailor Miruai I like to use, and it seems like it may have gotten darker (less green, more black) over time. Both are more than five years old. I made some comparison pics of current swabs against original ones I made. The BSB is clearly not the same. The Miruai may or may not be; my eyesight is deteriorating so I can't be certain. Do you see any difference? Just for fun, I also took a pic of the soak test I do with the Miruai.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,139 Times in 4,038 Posts

Default Re: Color Deterioration???

Darkening of the hue could be attributed to evaporation, and therefore a more condensed ink. It is one possibility, certainly, as you see that commonly when an ink is in a pen for an extended period. We *think* it shouldn't evaporate from a bottle, but...

Just a thought.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (April 9th, 2024), Chrissy (April 9th, 2024), LizEF (April 11th, 2024), welch (April 10th, 2024)

Thanks

Thanks, Jon. Both of these inks have been in bottles in their original boxes and not opened for at least several years. Also, indoors so no temp or humidity variations.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

welch (April 10th, 2024)

Thanks

I think Jon Santo has it. I have a couple bottles of Parker Quink blue from the mid-1950s, judging from the bottle-type. (Unlike Sheaffer, Parker kept changing their bottles). The Quink is a saturated and dark blue. I also have a couple bottles of Sheaffer Skrip, also from the 1950s. They advertise the Snorkel, which "takes the dunk out of filling". They are also more saturated.

Of course, those are pretty old.

BSB is only 15 years old, or maybe a little more. I don't know if it should have evaporated and darkened so quickly. Nathan Tardif sometimes reformulates his inks, sometimes saying that he can't get the old ingredients. Your picture of the 2024 BSB looks different than other swabs I've seen. (I've never used BSB, so I can't compare anything better than pictures of it)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to welch For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (April 10th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 702 Posts

I know Baystate Blue is VERY sensitive to bleach and UV light; both will easily remove BSB over time.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks

Color deterioration in artwork is a significant concern. I've noticed that factors like light exposure, humidity, screening for osteoporosis icd 10 and pollutants can severely impact the vibrancy of pigments over time. Implementing proper conservation techniques is crucial to preserving the original aesthetics and integrity of the piece.