Thread: EFNIR: Papier Plume Sazerac

Thanks
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 586 Posts

Default EFNIR: Papier Plume Sazerac

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Papier Plume Sazerac

This is review #281 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: A yellowish orange ink with good shading (can even be high shading with all the variables right). A bit pale for long blocks of writing. I preferred it on cream paper. It looks gorgeous next to Pilot Mixable Colour Light-green (the remnants are still in my Prera CM).

Cleaning was quick and easy.

Zoomed in photo (Seems a little paler than reality. Shading is exaggerated a bit.)

Screenshot (Text is a little too dark.)

Scan of Completed Review (Very close. Shading may be a little exaggerated.)

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (Both are fairly close.)

Line width (The "I" in "Ink:". Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 320µm. With 281 inks measured, the average line width is 296µm.)

Microscope image (100x. Was more bright / vibrant to my eyes. Nothing too exciting, just some spikes at the edge of the cover slip. The rest was solid orange.)

Previous Review: Platinum Chou Kuro.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (April 16th, 2024), catbert (April 16th, 2024), funni52 (April 20th, 2024), junglejim (April 17th, 2024), Sailor Kenshin (April 16th, 2024), Yazeh (April 16th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,755 Posts

Default Re: EFNIR: Papier Plume Sazerac

Something's exploding and I hope it's not those Star Trek Evil Spores that turn you into a hippie.

Groans aside, I had/have two of the comparison inks, the KWZ, and the A Patchy Sunset, which never ever dries. I have two or three Papier Plume inks, and found them somewhat dry. And I can picture the Sazerac next to green, which would be lovely, like a field of marigolds.

Fruits. Ouch, that one hits home. I'd much rather blame others for my misery!

And I'm biting my nails! What will happen next? Liz, thanks so much for making Tuesdays bright.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

LizEF (April 16th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,262 Posts

I love Sazerac! Actually, I love a lot of the Papier Plume inks - I believe they were/are made by L'Artisan Pastellier, and this is one of the colours that would seem to confirm this. I do write with it, but usually only for shorter pieces or lists, but I use it a lot for drawing and it never lets me down.

As for our intrepid adventurers, what have they done? Who has really summoned them? And why? And why does next Tuesday seem so far away!!

Thank you as always Liz for a fab review of a lovely ink, and for cheering me up immensely

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (April 16th, 2024), LizEF (April 16th, 2024), Yazeh (April 16th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Something's exploding and I hope it's not those Star Trek Evil Spores that turn you into a hippie.
    Given the lack of hippies in the neighborhood, I think it must have been something else.

Groans aside, I had/have two of the comparison inks, the KWZ, and the A Patchy Sunset, which never ever dries. I have two or three Papier Plume inks, and found them somewhat dry.
    I've only used two other Papier Plume inks - Oyster Grey and Karas Pen Co Desert Varnish. But I got two more in a recent gift from one of our fellow geeks, so maybe after I review those I'll have a better feel for the brand.

And I can picture the Sazerac next to green, which would be lovely, like a field of marigolds.
    Very nice imagery. And exactly right, a very spring and flowery combo.

Fruits. Ouch, that one hits home. I'd much rather blame others for my misery!
    I understand. On the other hand, it's far easier to do something about it when you claim ownership, so....

And I'm biting my nails! What will happen next? Liz, thanks so much for making Tuesdays bright.
    Tune in next week... You're very welcome! And thank you!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I love Sazerac! Actually, I love a lot of the Papier Plume inks - I believe they were/are made by L'Artisan Pastellier, and this is one of the colours that would seem to confirm this. I do write with it, but usually only for shorter pieces or lists, but I use it a lot for drawing and it never lets me down.
    I hadn't heard about a connection between Papier Plume and L'Artisan Pastellier. That's really interesting! I imagine Sazerac would be excellent for drawing.

As for our intrepid adventurers, what have they done? Who has really summoned them? And why? And why does next Tuesday seem so far away!!

Thank you as always Liz for a fab review of a lovely ink, and for cheering me up immensely
    You're most welcome! Very happy to do it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

mizgeorge (April 16th, 2024)

Thanks

This is not an ink I would ever use, but the color is a perfect recall of the famous New Orleans "Sazerac" drink:

From Wikipedia

The Sazerac is a local variation of a cognac or whiskey cocktail originally from New Orleans, named for the Sazerac de Forge et Fils brand of cognac brandy that served as its original main ingredient. The drink is most traditionally a combination of cognac or rye whiskey, absinthe, Peychaud's Bitters, and sugar, although bourbon whiskey is sometimes substituted for the rye and Herbsaint is sometimes substituted for the absinthe.

I don't drink, but if I did, I'd surely be attracted to this one.

For me, it recalls an old-time radio program, Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar. In The Valentine Matter, (aired October 31 to November 4, 1955) Dollar spends time in New Orleans bars drinking Sazeracs with a Prohibition era gangster.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

catbert (April 16th, 2024), mizgeorge (April 16th, 2024), Yazeh (April 16th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,339 Times in 2,284 Posts

Thanks @LizEf for giving us magic and wonder on Tuesdays
    This was part of the mystery ink reviews a few years ago:
    https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...y-Ink-31/page5

It look quite nice with a purple inks. It's funny how this ink can go from pale orange to a bright one. I guess it'll look nice with a wet/ wide nib
    I like the crystal microscopic look.

I'm not sure what to make of the Campell quote. Nowadays, besides the lineage, environment, country and the eternal parents, we can blame it on "Mame", just ask Quin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    This is not an ink I would ever use, but the color is a perfect recall of the famous New Orleans "Sazerac" drink:...
    Thanks for the background, Bill! I don't drink either, so I have no idea whether this would appeal in the slightest. The ink's not bad, though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Thanks @LizEf for giving us magic and wonder on Tuesdays
    Glad to do it!

This was part of the mystery ink reviews a few years ago:
    https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...y-Ink-31/page5

It look quite nice with a purple inks. It's funny how this ink can go from pale orange to a bright one. I guess it'll look nice with a wet/ wide nib
    I like the crystal microscopic look.
    Very nice, Yazeh! Love what you did with it. Art would certainly let this ink shine more than a block of text. Also having another color to complement it improves it.

I'm not sure what to make of the Campell quote. Nowadays, besides the lineage, environment, country and the eternal parents, we can blame it on "Mame", just ask Quin

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (April 16th, 2024)