Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Diamine Vivaldi

  1. #1
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    8,465
    Thanks
    10,195
    Thanked 6,459 Times in 2,324 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Cool Diamine Vivaldi

    Diamine Vivaldi

    Thanks for @Lithium466 for the sample. This review is in three parts: Feel free to jump to your preferred part.
    In a nutshell: a gorgeous dark purple, which is almost black with EF nibs. It doesnít appreciate cheap paper. Itís wet, well lubricated. Itís Diamine.
    Chroma:
    Chroma - Diamine Vivaldi.jpeg
    Whatís in a name?
    Iím confused by the Diamine Music set.
    Itís composed of 3 baroque composers: Bach, Vivaldi and Handel.
    2 Classical era composers: Mozart and Beethoven. (Cancelling Poor Haydn)
    And 5 romantics. Schubert and Chopin, Wagner, Tchaikovsky and Strauss. Though technically you can argue that Schubert is early romantic, and Tchaikovsky late romantic. And then there is Strauss which Iím assuming it's Richard and not one of the Johann's .
    I donít understand the logic behind the names. Diamine could have chosen some fabulous English composers, granted they would be mostly renaissance, baroque, and then jump to early 20th century, Byrd, Tallis, Dowland, Hume, Purcell, Sullivan, Elgar, Delius, William, Britten etc.. Or they could have chosen one composer per European country. This is just a mishmash of composers, with no rhyme or reason.

    Vivaldiís micro bio and music (1678 - 1741)
    Now a bit about Antonio Vivaldi.

    Vivaldi is one of the pillars of the Baroque era and codified the concerto form. He was the musical director of Ospedale della Pietŗ an orphanage. He was admired by Bach who transposed some of his concertos for Harpsichord, died in poverty and his work was promptly forgotten until the early 20th century, until his work was re-discovered. He composed some 500 concertos about 50 odds opera, religious music etc.

    His nicknamed was il Prete Rosso, the Red Priest. (He was ordained a priest)

    The Four Seasons his most famous fiery tempo, dynamics contrasts with the colour of the ink:




    Or his lovely Lovely lute or Mandolin concertos. Here is the slow movement of his Lute Concerto RV 93.



    Or If youíre an opera fan, and have 3 hours or such to spend you can try his opera Orlando furioso, don't ask me the story, it's a medieval fantasy story



    Ink review:
    Now for the ink, again I donít understand why would any one would choose this dark purple for Vivaldi, who's nicknamed the Red Priest, thanks to his reddish hair, and his passionate music. This one is not an ink for a Vivaldi over.


    Writing Samples:
    I used a Pilot F3A for the Japanese Ef and is it semi-flexible, I flexed it at the end to give you an idea of "flex".
    Rhodia - Vivaldi.jpgMidori - Vivaldi.jpegTR 68gr - Vivaldi.jpegHammermill - Vivaldi.jpg

    Photo:
    Diamine Vivaldi.jpg
    Comparison:
    Comparison - Vivaldi.jpg
    Water test:
    Decent water resistance.
    Watertest - Vivaldi.jpeg

    and finally An art work. I had a bit of difficulty. While I appreciate his music, he's not one of my favourites composers. 😛
    Anyway here's is one of Vivaldi's cats playing one of his concertos on an imaginary gondola

    I used a bit of of Octopus Grey Merkat and the brownish ink was created by mixing the purple with De Atramentis Artist Orange:


    ∑ Pens used: Pilot F3A (JEf /Semiflex)Lamy (EF/F/M/B, BB)
    ∑ What I liked: Colour, Doing washes.
    ∑ What I did not like: Name didnít correspond to the fieriness of composer nor his music
    ∑ What some might not like: It doesnít like copy paper.
    ∑ Shading: Only with wide nib.
    ∑ Ghosting: Yes, on cheap paper.
    ∑ Bleed through: Yes, on cheap paper.
    ∑ Flow Rate: Wet
    ∑ Lubrication: Well lubricated.
    ∑ Nib Dry-out: Did not notice.
    ∑ Start-up: Ok
    ∑ Saturation: Dark
    ∑ Shading Potential: Not so much.
    ∑ Sheen: No.
    ∑ Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Did not notice.
    ∑ Nib Creep / ďCrudĒ: Did not notice.
    ∑ Staining (pen): Did not notice.
    ∑ Clogging: Did not notice.
    ∑ Cleaning: Easy. Though as a purple ink it might stain
    ∑ Water resistance: Not bad.
    ∑ Availability: 30 ml bottles.

    Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier

  2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

    Brilliant Bill (April 24th, 2024), carlos.q (April 24th, 2024), catbert (April 24th, 2024), forester (April 25th, 2024), junglejim (April 24th, 2024), Lithium466 (April 25th, 2024), LizEF (April 24th, 2024), Lloyd (April 24th, 2024), mizgeorge (April 24th, 2024), Robert (April 24th, 2024), Sailor Kenshin (April 24th, 2024)

  3. #2
    Senior Member LizEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2022
    Location
    Unreality
    Posts
    808
    Thanks
    1,029
    Thanked 1,490 Times in 611 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Diamine Vivaldi

    Boy, you can just barely see the purple in the chroma and writing samples... First they pick the wrong color, then they desaturate it until it's basically grey with a slight purple lean...

    Fortunately, you make up for it with clever swatch-kitty with his old-style record player and "cleffed" tail , poor water-test Vivald-kitty who had no idea the Mousey Conductor had arranged a bucket of water for him (talk about crescendo!), and of course, gondola-kitty - if his bow breaks, he can resort to caterwauling...

    Thank you, Yazeh, for putting up with a misnamed ink and bringing us another fun and educational review!

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

    Brilliant Bill (April 24th, 2024), forester (April 25th, 2024), Yazeh (April 24th, 2024)

  5. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Time
    Posts
    492
    Thanks
    608
    Thanked 756 Times in 310 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Diamine Vivaldi

    Before fully reading your post, I went searching for an explanation of "Red Priest." This snatch from Wikipedia:

    "In 1693, at the age of fifteen, he began studying to become a priest. He was ordained in 1703, aged 25, and was soon nicknamed il Prete Rosso, "The Red Priest"; Rosso is Italian for "red" and would have referred to the color of his hair, a family trait."

    Anyway, I agree with Liz on the color. As for Diamine's choice, talk to their marketing department; I'm sure they have a creative explanation.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

    Yazeh (April 24th, 2024)

  7. #4
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    8,465
    Thanks
    10,195
    Thanked 6,459 Times in 2,324 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Diamine Vivaldi

    Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post
    Boy, you can just barely see the purple in the chroma and writing samples...
    Yeah it's very difficult to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post
    First they pick the wrong color, then they desaturate it until it's basically grey with a slight purple lean...
    Here it is a side by side with Octopus Grey Merkat. The camera sees it. But in low light condition they look the same.
    20240423_172124.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post
    Fortunately, you make up for it with clever swatch-kitty with his old-style record player and "cleffed" tail , poor water-test Vivald-kitty who had no idea the Mousey Conductor had arranged a bucket of water for him (talk about crescendo!), and of course, gondola-kitty - if his bow breaks, he can resort to caterwauling...
    Crescendo for Mousy and decrescendo for poor kitty Kat
    I see someone is an active creative word play mode
    Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post
    Thank you, Yazeh, for putting up with a misnamed ink and bringing us another fun and educational review!
    A pleasure. Nowadays, I prefer boring named inks to review. You don't have to all the legwork and research etc

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

    catbert (April 24th, 2024), forester (April 25th, 2024), LizEF (April 24th, 2024)

  9. #5
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    8,465
    Thanks
    10,195
    Thanked 6,459 Times in 2,324 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Diamine Vivaldi

    Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    Before fully reading your post, I went searching for an explanation of "Red Priest." This snatch from Wikipedia:

    "In 1693, at the age of fifteen, he began studying to become a priest. He was ordained in 1703, aged 25, and was soon nicknamed il Prete Rosso, "The Red Priest"; Rosso is Italian for "red" and would have referred to the color of his hair, a family trait."

    Anyway, I agree with Liz on the color. As for Diamine's choice, talk to their marketing department; I'm sure they have a creative explanation.
    Thanks for doing the research. Maybe these are the favourite composers of the Diamine owner It's a bit "German" heavy. They could have added French/ Hungarian/ Czech and mostly British, even American ( ) composers

  10. #6
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    4,033
    Thanks
    6,406
    Thanked 3,550 Times in 1,778 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: Diamine Vivaldi

    I had a sample of Vivaldi! (And one of North African Violet, which stained everything it looked at).

    Vivaldi was so gray it was barely purple. And I love Vivaldi's music, so yes, this ink should have been some form of red.

    Water Test Vivaldi Kitteh is melting. It is sad. 😢

    Yazeh, thanks for this review! It's rare that I have one of your review inks.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

    And my other blog is a tumblr!


    And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

    Yazeh (April 24th, 2024)

  12. #7
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    8,465
    Thanks
    10,195
    Thanked 6,459 Times in 2,324 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Diamine Vivaldi

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I had a sample of Vivaldi! (And one of North African Violet, which stained everything it looked at).

    Vivaldi was so gray it was barely purple. And I love Vivaldi's music, so yes, this ink should have been some form of red.

    Water Test Vivaldi Kitteh is melting. It is sad. 😢

    Yazeh, thanks for this review! It's rare that I have one of your review inks.
    Thanks for your comments. Indeed a nice fiery reddish orange would've been nice Next week will be something I'm sure you won't have (Pigmented )

  13. #8
    Senior Member mizgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    4,004
    Thanks
    2,155
    Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Diamine Vivaldi

    Lovely review, meh ink. Unfortunately not my favourite composer either.

    Thank you as always Yazeh I love the artwork, but haven't the energy to write much today. I'll make up for it next time!

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

    Yazeh (April 24th, 2024)

  15. #9
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    8,465
    Thanks
    10,195
    Thanked 6,459 Times in 2,324 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Diamine Vivaldi

    Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Lovely review, meh ink.
    Thanks! In retrospect it's a Meh!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Unfortunately not my favourite composer either.
    He's alright from time to time. But become monotonous in the long run
    Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Thank you as always Yazeh I love the artwork, but haven't the energy to write much today. I'll make up for it next time!
    Take care of yourself 🙏

  16. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,756
    Thanks
    4,944
    Thanked 4,864 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Diamine Vivaldi

    Excellent Venetian violinist!

    ĎRed Priestí calls to mind these lively interpreters of baroque, including (of course) Vivaldi:




  17. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

    Yazeh (April 24th, 2024)

  18. #11
    Senior Member LizEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2022
    Location
    Unreality
    Posts
    808
    Thanks
    1,029
    Thanked 1,490 Times in 611 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Diamine Vivaldi

    Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Crescendo for Mousy and decrescendo for poor kitty Kat
    I see someone is an active creative word play mode


    Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    A pleasure. Nowadays, I prefer boring named inks to review. You don't have to all the legwork and research etc
    Amen to that! (Of course, you could be like me and just not bother... )

  19. #12
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    8,465
    Thanks
    10,195
    Thanked 6,459 Times in 2,324 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Diamine Vivaldi

    Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Excellent Venetian violinist!

    ĎRed Priestí calls to mind these lively interpreters of baroque, including (of course) Vivaldi:
    The hardest part of the drawing was incorporating the cat and mouse theme in the railing on the bridge
    Thanks for sharing these fabulous interpeters. I'm sure Vivaldi would have had kick. So refreshing.
    I had / have a somewhat similar Troubadour recording with lots of fun instruments and improvisation. Somewhat rare in the rarefied field of classical music.
    Last edited by Yazeh; April 24th, 2024 at 08:16 PM.

  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

    catbert (April 24th, 2024), forester (April 25th, 2024), LizEF (April 24th, 2024)

  21. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,756
    Thanks
    4,944
    Thanked 4,864 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Diamine Vivaldi

    Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Ö
    The hardest part of the drawing was incorporating the cat and mouse theme in the railing on the bridge
    Ö
    I totally missed that ó thanks for pointing it out! (The detail in your work is always so rewarding.)

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

    Yazeh (April 25th, 2024)

  23. #14
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    8,465
    Thanks
    10,195
    Thanked 6,459 Times in 2,324 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Diamine Vivaldi

    Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Ö
    The hardest part of the drawing was incorporating the cat and mouse theme in the railing on the bridge
    Ö
    I totally missed that ó thanks for pointing it out! (The detail in your work is always so rewarding.)
    It's normal. I made a mess of the painting with those haphazard washes.
    Originally, I planned to have a Persian cat Bach playing the Harpsichord in a lopsided gondola with a mouse Vivaldi violin at the other end.
    Sort of a nod to the historical link between the two composers.
    After Bach was rediscovered and promoted by Mendelssohn in the 19th century, people were intrigued by who that Vivaldi dude was that Bach had transcribed his concerti.
    But by then I had enough of bewigged musicians

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

    catbert (April 25th, 2024)

  25. #15
    Senior Member LizEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2022
    Location
    Unreality
    Posts
    808
    Thanks
    1,029
    Thanked 1,490 Times in 611 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Diamine Vivaldi

    Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    But by then I had enough of bewigged musicians

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

    catbert (April 25th, 2024), Yazeh (April 25th, 2024)

  27. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Time
    Posts
    492
    Thanks
    608
    Thanked 756 Times in 310 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Diamine Vivaldi

    The wag in the wig is wasted credibility.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

    Yazeh (April 25th, 2024)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •