Thread: WW2 German pens

Thanks

Default WW2 German pens

I saw a couple of pens for sale at a antique fair. The seller said they were WW2 German pens. They were not marked from what I could see. How would you tell when they were made, also that perked my curiosity, what were some of the pens the German clerks and military would use at that time? 30s to May of 45. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,390 Times in 1,379 Posts

Default Re: WW2 German pens

Material: Predominately black celluloid with occasional ebonite used for cap ends.
    Filling system: Usually piston filler with cork piston.
    Nib: Steel instead of gold. Fancy ones would be gold washed.

Cap bands and other decoration omitted. Often a textured groove where the band would normally be. Basically you're looking for indicators of wartime supply shortages and a pen being made inexpensively.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Barry B. Gabay (May 30th, 2024), christof (May 23rd, 2024), Robert (May 23rd, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Material: Predominately black celluloid with occasional ebonite used for cap ends.
    Filling system: Usually piston filler with cork piston.
    Nib: Steel instead of gold. Fancy ones would be gold washed.

Cap bands and other decoration omitted. Often a textured groove where the band would normally be. Basically you're looking for indicators of wartime supply shortages and a pen being made inexpensively.
    Thanks. I did find a sort article on this. War time vs pre wartime pens. I am leaning toward the Kaweco pens. Here is a photo from the article.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

They're a solid and often overlooked choice. They distinguished between gold and steel nibs with a "G" for gold and "A" for steel after the model number (e.g.: 87A, 12G, etc...). Nib size is underneath the model number, with markings on the blind cap.

Example:

112G
    OB

Would be a Sport model 112 with Oblique Broad gold nib.

Ink window should be green or amber. Blue windows are plastic and post-war (late 50's onward).

Thanks

I bought this one. A bit pricey but NOS is hard to find.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (262.9 KB, 51 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (226.9 KB, 56 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (47.0 KB, 54 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (73.8 KB, 53 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (63.0 KB, 54 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (73.9 KB, 53 views)

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edteach For This Useful Post:

catbert (May 23rd, 2024), christof (May 23rd, 2024), Deb (May 23rd, 2024), dneal (May 23rd, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,178 Times in 1,480 Posts

This is a nice pen! Looks like a Subbrand of KAWECO.

PS: NOS does not mean that the cork is still fine. Can be, but can also not…

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

dneal (May 23rd, 2024), Lloyd (May 24th, 2024)

Thanks

The seller had the pen refurbished so it works well. I can find no history on Helios. Does anyone have any info, was it a company that used parts made by Kaweco, was it a sub brand of Keweco, or something else? Thanks for any help

11. The Following User Says Thank You to edteach For This Useful Post:

welch (May 23rd, 2024)

Thanks

The Kaweco nib (and the clip to a lesser extent) is the "giveaway" that Helios was a sub brand of Kaweco.

The problem is that a lot of the history was lost, and we're stuck browsing old catalogs trying to figure some things out. I can find no reference to a Sport 712, for example, but have one that is NOS - which brings me to christof's warning.

This one was (per the seller) a souvenir from her grandfather's time in Germany. It clearly had never been used, let alone inked. The celluloid nib collar unscrewed easily from the section, and was free of any stain. The piston rod, also in yellow celluloid, had disintegrated inside the barrel. The clearly brand-new cork crumbled immediately. Of course if yours has been serviced, those usual concerns are not an issue.

Sorry for the poor pics. They are a victim of the Photobucket shenanigans, which only let me download a much lower resolution than I uploaded...

IMG_0032.jpeg
    IMG_0033.jpeg

Thanks

I kept digging and did find this. Helios pens are the result of a collaboration between the German firm Kaweco and the Italian company named Helios-Silga based in Milan.

Silga is an acronym meaning: Società Italiana Lavorazione Galalite e Affini ( Italian Company for the production of galalith and similar goods)

The Milan-based company was run by Mr. Giarola who was the official Kaweco representative for the Italian market. Helios was a Kaweco subbrand and this explains the connection with the Italian Helios company.

The trademark Helios (and Elios, without H) was registered in Italy in the early 1930's.

Italian Helios pens are however different from German models and retain a clear Italian identity. Many of them are marked Helios-Silga to make clear their definitive Italian origin.

https://www.tenpen.it/product/helios...ated-celluloid

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edteach For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (May 24th, 2024), catbert (May 24th, 2024), dneal (May 24th, 2024)

Thanks

Good find. I wouldn't have thought to look to Letizia for history of a German pen.

Thanks

I canceled the order on the Helios Kaweco. Not exactly what i am looking for.