Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TWSBI 1.1 mm Stub vs. Lamy 1.1 mm Stub

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default TWSBI 1.1 mm Stub vs. Lamy 1.1 mm Stub

I have had the Lamy nib for a few weeks now. I just received the TWSBI stub today. The TWSBI has Noodler's Bad Belted King Fisher and the Lamy, Private Reserve Ebony Blue.

2012-02-27 14.31.25.jpg by IvanRomero, on Flickr

Here is the feed. Very different from the Schmidt feed I received with all my previous nibs (EF, F and B)

Twsbi stub nib feed by IvanRomero, on Flickr
    Last edited by KrazyIvan; February 28th, 2012 at 01:26 PM.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

The TWSBI stub is very attractive. Makes the Lamy nib a bit bland by comparison. I like the logo. How does it feel to write with ?

Noodler's Bad Belted King Fisher is a nice blue isn't it.
    Also the Private Reserve Ebony Blue looks similar to Noodler's AirCorp BlueBlack.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

The TWSBI is smooth and much more flexible than the Lamy. I like Bad Belted Kingfisher and I am finally getting the shading I had seen in other writing samples. I dont know if Ebony Blue is similar to Aircorp because it always looked like a full black with just a small blue halo.
    Last edited by KrazyIvan; February 28th, 2012 at 08:38 AM.

jor412

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    The TWSBI is smooth and much more flexible than the Lamy. I like Bad Belted Kingfisher and I am finally getting the shading I had seen in other writing samples. I dont know if Ebony Blue is similar to Aircorp becaise it always looked like a full black with just a small blue halo.
    Thanks for the comparison. I was just thinking about which of the two would be the better purchase.

Thanks

The plus of the Lamy, I guess, is that if you already have a Safari, Vista or Al Star, you can make the pen an italic for a mere £4.00!

jor412

I might be the only person I know who doesn't have a single Lamy. I've been tempted to buy a Vista and to buy a stub nib along with it. They don't come as a set where I am. But that's why I'm leaning now toward the TWSBI nib since I already have a 530 and plan to get a Vac 700.

Thanks

Well, the new nib unit seems to have been beefed up on the TWSBI. I can't tell for sure but it seems like it is thicker right where it used to crack at the section in the first 530 models. I can't confirm it but it looks like it to my eyes. It also looks like this is TWSBI's own feed. I think I read they were going to be doing their own feeds. I just feel it looks a little anemic behind the not so big stub nib. I'll get pics later.

I put the TWSBI stub on my 530 btw. I already have a stock B nib on my 540 that I ground to a stub.
    Last edited by KrazyIvan; February 28th, 2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: add more info/spelling

Thanks

Added feed photo to the original post.

jor412

Well, the new nib unit seems to have been beefed up on the TWSBI. I can't tell for sure but it seems like it is thicker right where it used to crack at the section in the first 530 models. I can't confirm it but it looks like it to my eyes. It also looks like this is TWSBI's own feed. I think I read they were going to be doing their own feeds. I just feel it looks a little anemic behind the not so big stub nib. I'll get pics later.

I put the TWSBI stub on my 530 btw. I already have a stock B nib on my 540 that I ground to a stub.
    Thanks for the pic. I just placed an order for a TWSBI 1.1 nib. One of our few pen stores in Manila has decided to bring in TWSBIs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jor412 View Post
    I might be the only person I know who doesn't have a single Lamy. I've been tempted to buy a Vista and to buy a stub nib along with it. They don't come as a set where I am. But that's why I'm leaning now toward the TWSBI nib since I already have a 530 and plan to get a Vac 700.
    For the money, the Lamy is also a good buy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

love my Lamy 1.1. Ordered a twsbi 1.1 for the 540 I picked up at the Baltimore Pen Show today. will advise once it arrives next week.

Thanks

Thanks for the info and pics! I was just considering ordering a TSWBI with the 1.1. I love the Bad Belted Kingfisher ink. I have a Vanishing Point (fine nib) loaded with that right now and have been really pleased with the performance.

Thanks

I feel like such an enabler.

jor412

Well, thanks to those pics and some encouragement, I'm now really tempted to get a Lamy with an italic nib.

Thanks

You really can't go wrong with either pen.

jor412

I now have a TWSBI 1.1 and it's fantastic. I don't think I'll be using my TWSBI with any other nib. My friend decided to give me a Lamy 1.1 nib so now I need a Lamy Safari to go with it.

Thanks

Congrats! I too feel I don't need my F and EF TWSBI nibs. I'll keep my stubbed B nib though.

Thanks

Congrats! I too feel I don't need my F and EF TWSBI nibs. I'll keep my stubbed B nib though.
    Give me one as a present =)

The 1.1m Lamy nib I got is not the best for me. It is not smooth enough, so for me as a lefty it is not perfect. I had another 1.1 Lamy nib that was better in that regard. The Lamy nibs sometimes really differ in quality - tough they are still everything but bad.

jor412

Thanks. I'm not yet ready to give up my M nib but I'm pretty close to it. Right now, the TWSBI is one of my two italic nib pens. The other one is an old Sheaffer No-Nonsense F-Italic. (I also have the medium and broad but will be parting with them soon because they're too wide for me.) The Sheaffer needs some smoothing, but flow is great.

Thanks

Default Re: TWSBI 1.1 mm Stub vs. Lamy 1.1 mm Stub

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkys.Brain View Post
    The 1.1m Lamy nib I got is not the best for me. It is not smooth enough, so for me as a lefty it is not perfect. I had another 1.1 Lamy nib that was better in that regard. The Lamy nibs sometimes really differ in quality - tough they are still everything but bad.
    sorry to bump an old thread but I find myself with the exact same question / concern

Had a TWSBI 1.1 stub for a while and love using it. Used a few Diamine Shimmer inks with it and currently Yama Dori - it is sublime and fun (if a little rigid)

Picked up a Lamy Pur on clearance with a 1.1 stub and it is less than lovely - too stiff, too narrow, too rough. FWIW it has Visconti Blue in right now, not tried any other inks yet

Being a lefty I write with the nib "parallel" with the bottom of the paper (ie the pen at right angles to the paper looking from above) rather than at 45 degrees. I notice if I angle the pen like a righty it works better, but still not great

So I wonder what tweaks might help the Lamy 1.1 out. I have read this nib can be quite variable, though it is unclear if that is due to the user / QC or natural manufacturing variation