Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide my next purchase - M1000, Visconti HS, MB 1912, or Omas Paragon

Thanks

Default Help me decide my next purchase - M1000, Visconti HS, MB 1912, or Omas Paragon

I have 1 space left in my pen case and I'm willing to fill it. I think I've narrowed it down to the 4 listed above.

Here's what I currently have:
    2 Pilot VPs (great, general use pens. The fine is too dry for me, but the medium is great. Smooth, but I still wish it were a little wetter)
    MB 149 with fine nib (amazing pen, the king of pens for me. Great writer)
    Pelikan M600 (nice EDC size and weight, wet, good writer. Was super "toothy" and scratchy and a bit dry when I first got it. Almost got rid of it, but it has broken in for some reason and become much smoother and wetter and nicer)
    Edison Menlo (don't have yet, but it should be en route shortly)

So, here's what I'm looking at:

Pelikan M1000
    - after my M600 experience I'm a little hesitant about it, as I hear the nib QC is a bit spotty a Pelikan (don't know if that's true or not). But I've heard great things about this pen and that it has a much better nib and is super smooth. My M600 has become quite nice over time, and if this is even better, I might really like it).

Visconti HS
    - I think this pen is beautiful and it has some really unique, neat features. I've heard that the nibs are butter smooth. I like that the reservoir is made of a metal that is very resistant to rust/corrosion (chrome? I can't remember)

MB 1912
    - I love my MB, so maybe I should stick with that? I could try a medium nib in this. These pens are crazy expensive though, which turns me off. And I'm not sure if the retractable nib would be annoying or not

Omas Paragon
    - I was looking at the Arte Italiana line. I've heard their nibs are some of the world's best and amazingly smooth. My only problem, is I hate the 12-sided design. I just don't find them "pretty". But beauty is found in function...

Thanks

Default Re: Help me decide my next purchase - M1000, Visconti HS, MB 1912, or Omas Paragon

Given that you already have a Montblanc and a Pelikan, I would suggest you get one of the Italian pens for variety. Since you are not a fan of the Omas' looks, Visconti HS is the obvious choice out of the four.

Just my two cents.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Help me decide my next purchase - M1000, Visconti HS, MB 1912, or Omas Paragon

Since none of the four you listed would really interest me are you open to other possibilities? If so, are there certain things you like or dislike other than the OMAS 12 sided body?

Thanks

Of the four pens you list, the two of them that will have, IMHO, the best nibs in my experience: the Omas or the MB. Frankly, I think the MB 1912 is so cool looking! That's the one I would get. If the Omas Paragon Arco doesn't do it for you, then it doesn't matter how great the nib is. There will be other pens with great nibs that will appeal to you. Maybe someday you can try a more plain Omas to try out an Omas nib (an Ogivia or an older style Milord).

Whatcha gonna do? Always fun to have to make these decisions!

Edit: in re-reading your post, it actually sounds like none of these pens will do it for you, and so I wonder why you are still pondering them. Do you want and not what some collective has decided are the great pens?

So, as jar said, maybe consider others. Another pen with an outstanding nib: the Pilot Justus 95 reissue. Or a Sailor Realo. Or an Aurora Optima.

Looking forward to hearing what you end up with.
    Last edited by jde; October 10th, 2013 at 09:35 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jde For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (October 10th, 2013)

Thanks

I am definitely open to suggestions!

Jade, I don't think that none of these pens will work for me, I'm just looking at the pluses and minuses of each and being nitpicky in order to figure out what is best for me. I may have eliminated the Omas because I can't warm up to the looks. I need to see a 1912 in person.

The M1000 may be the front runner because I hear so many good things about it, and a friend I trust recommends it so wholeheartedly. But I haven't made a final decision, and I want to get all opinions and think about this very hard before I make a decision.

Thanks

I've just seen the Omas Ogiva online and I LIKE that!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonCQB1911 View Post

Jade, I don't think that none of these pens will work for me, I'm just looking at the pluses and minuses of each and being nitpicky in order to figure out what is best for me. I may have eliminated the Omas because I can't warm up to the looks. I need to see a 1912 in person.

The M1000 may be the front runner because I hear so many good things about it, and a friend I trust recommends it so wholeheartedly. But I haven't made a final decision, and I want to get all opinions and think about this very hard before I make a decision.
    So tell us what it is you like about this next fountain pen? Heavy or light, round or faceted, large or small, subdued or outstanding, brand recognition or less recognized?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

So tell us what it is you like about this next fountain pen? Heavy or light, round or faceted, large or small, subdued or outstanding, brand recognition or less recognized?
    I don't need brand recognition, but I want performance. I want a super smooth wet nib. Preferably in a larger sized pen. I think I prefer a rounded design, but only because that's all I know.

Thanks

If your friend has similar tastes to yours, then such recommendations are really helpful.

And as you indicated with the MB needing to see it in person, seeing a pen in the store or at a pen show is the best method for decision making. Not possible for many of us to do, though, and thus we try to find the balance of online opinion and trying pens out by buying them.

It's good to sort through all the info and opinions—although our opinions are often given even when we have no experience with given pens! (Hey, myself included!)

Also good to be picky and thoughtful, IMHO.

When it's all said/written/opined/and done, one must follow his or her own light about the pen that must be had!

Cheers,
    Julie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

I don't need brand recognition, but I want performance. I want a super smooth wet nib. Preferably in a larger sized pen. I think I prefer a rounded design, but only because that's all I know.
    Okay.

Here are a few suggestions that should meet your criteria:

Montegrappa Extra 1930:

or Privilege Deco

Graf von Faber Castell Intuition

Sheaffer Legacy, Legacy 2 or Legacy Heritage

ST Dupont Ellipsis

ST Dupont Orpheo/Olympio (bottom) or Yard-0-Led Victorian Grand (top)

Caran d'Ache Genčve or Lčman

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

kaisnowbird (October 11th, 2013)

Thanks

Some great recommendations, thank you. I loved the montegrappa on top, and then saw how much they sell for!

I'm really liking the Oma's Ogiva recommended above. And I'm still eyeing the M1000.

Other than an MB boutique nearby, I will have no opportunity to see or try any of these pens in person, unfortunately. So the best I can do is internet research.

Thanks

Some great recommendations, thank you. I loved the montegrappa on top, and then saw how much they sell for!

I'm really liking the Oma's Ogiva recommended above. And I'm still eyeing the M1000.

Other than an MB boutique nearby, I will have no opportunity to see or try any of these pens in person, unfortunately. So the best I can do is internet research.
    I'm in same boat. Have bought and sold a lot of pens as a result of having to try things on. I really like the Ogiva, too, even though I no longer have one anymore. If you buy the M1000 from someone like Richard Binder, at least you know the nib will have been double checked and tuned, so those fears will be allayed. The Pilot Justus, btw, is a very substantial pen in the hand. Too heavy for me—frustrating because the nib was so sublime.

Am going to shut-up now. Who put a nickel in my slot today?!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jde View Post

I'm in same boat. Have bought and sold a lot of pens as a result of having to try things on. I really like the Ogiva, too, even though I no longer have one anymore. If you buy the M1000 from someone like Richard Binder, at least you know the nib will have been double checked and tuned, so those fears will be allayed. The Pilot Justus, btw, is a very substantial pen in the hand. Too heavy for me—frustrating because the nib was so sublime.

Am going to shut-up now. Who put a nickel in my slot today?!
    You're not done yet! Why did you drop the Ogiva. And yes, I've also considered getting an M1000 from Binder! For the exact same reason! It may be my default, although the HS still grabs me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Given the amount you're willing to spend, pick the pen that looks the best and is the most comfortable for you (if you have the option of trying one), then send it off to have the nib tuned to exactly what you want. Don't buy from a brand just because they have a reputation of having better nibs. You still might end up with a bum nib. Nibs can be adjusted to do whatever you want. Buy the pen you want and have the nib tweaked to suit you.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (October 10th, 2013), kaisnowbird (October 11th, 2013)

Thanks

I love my heritage 1912. It is a very nice pen. However, it is a rather heavy pen. It has a soft and springy nib that glides beautifully. As for the retracting nib it does not bother me, in fact I rather enjoy it. It may not be for everyone.

Thanks

If you like the Montegrappa on top then there are a whole host of variations on that design. The Extra 1930 is part of the Classica based family.

Thanks

I would say the MB is very neat but it had a $1100 price tag in Canada and for that price you could buy 2 M1000's or almost. I tried the MB recently and the boutique even inked a medium and I found the nib springy, smooth and no noise or real feedback. While testing the MontBlanc I was comparing it with my Visconti Opera and a Pelikan M800 and the Visconti Opera LE was hands down the better nib in my humble opinion. The ink capacity was twice the MB's. The Pelikan and MB are quite equal in my estimation but the nibs are easy to swap and the piston can be maintained whereas as neat as the pop up piston fill and retractable nib for the MB are so retro and neat I can't stand the idea of paying $75-100 to have the piston lubricated and waiting 2 weeks or more while the pen is serviced.

So if it is was my money it would be an Opera LE with power filler or that wonderful Pelikan M1000 and a M800 with a BB and M nibs respectively.

Let us know what you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

You're not done yet! Why did you drop the Ogiva. And yes, I've also considered getting an M1000 from Binder! For the exact same reason! It may be my default, although the HS still grabs me.
    Nothing against the Ogiva per se, but I gave up all my Italians in favor of Japanese urushi pens. Still think the Omas Ogiva is a great pen, as is the older Milord.

As dannzeman wrote, "You still might end up with a bum nib." Or a nib you don't like. And the great thing is you can have the nib tuned or modified to your liking. Or getting it up front from someone like Binder or someone else who knows their way around a nib.

I know there are a lot of Visconti fans here... I'm just not one of them. IMHO from the 1990's is far superior to today's collection.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

I think then new MB is pure awesome, so that's what I would pick, but I think the Paragon is a really awesome
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

I just love it when Jar shares pictures.
    +1 on the Dupont.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

24. The Following User Says Thank You to kaisnowbird For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (October 11th, 2013)