Thread: Oxford Stone Paper Notebook Review

Thanks

Default Oxford Stone Paper Notebook Review

I originally posted this on my blog where there are more pictures: http://penpaperinkletter.com/oxford-...aper-notebook/

Attachment 6187

This Oxford Stone Paper Notebook is definitely a hidden gem in so many regards. It’s cheap, simple and yet interesting because of its super smooth lightweight paper. I have heard whispers here and there about stone paper and its benefits and pitfalls. It’s not a wonder paper but it’s something different at a price everyone can try and it feels special.

The one I picked up was the last one on the shelf and it is black. I didn’t see more than one slot for this pad but online there is a blue one shown as well. According to the website it has 60 sheets, I haven't counted. It measures 6″ x 8 3/8″ according to the tag at the store. The usable part of the page from the perforation to the page edge is 5 1/4″ x 8 1/4″ according to my measurements. It has a simple lined layout with two slashes in the top outside corners for the date. The pages are perforated which isn't always a plus for some people but I plan to tear out a few sheets to send to some of the people I correspond with and the perforation is a plus there.

I did a writing sample and then got a bit busy so I didn't post this right away. I’m glad I waited, after seeing a post about Noodler’s inks feathering after sitting on stone paper for a bit I went back and checked. Two of the three Noodler’s fountain pen inks did show feathering that wasn't initially there. The only other feathering I have seen was immediate from the three Foray rollerballs in the Rolle line which can be seen in the pictures below.

I don’t know exactly how to describe the smoothness of this paper but it is one of it’s primary benefits in my opinion. It’s smoother than most papers and especially anything else you’ll find at most office supply stores or drug stores. It’s not quite as smooth as Tomoe River in my opinion but it’s in that league if that tells you anything.

In conclusion, and as I mentioned before, this small notebook is a diamond in the rough. There are some pens and inks that just aren’t going to like this stone paper but I think it’s still worth trying. I’ll surely be looking to get a few more when they stock back up at my store.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heath For This Useful Post:

6of1 (January 16th, 2014), ThriveToScribe (February 12th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Oxford Stone Paper Notebook Review

I've been holding off reviewing the "paper" because of the extreme feathering I experienced. I have also read others say that the surface is rough enough that it could possibly change nib geometry. I have some reservations about that but I do have to admit that it does feel like the extra fine grit of those buff sticks. I have not seen any nib damage or changes in nib performance. There is also the fact that the environmental claims may be a stretch. I have not researched that claim so have no data to back it up.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 3,476 Times in 1,742 Posts

Thanks for the review. I should dig up my old stone paper test to compare. This version looks more refined.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Great review! I have some of this paper, too. It's a fun novelty paper, but I wouldn't use it for anything you want to keep for years and years. The paper becomes very brittle and crumbly with age. But I do love how it doesn't buckle or warp when it gets wet. It's really quite amazing.
    Spreading the inky goodness... see my homemade ink recipes here (free)

Thanks

I bought two of them a few days ago (the blue one) and I cannot recommend them for fountain pen use. The ink doesn't ever really seem to completely dry. I'm guessing this is due to the polymers used in the paper's manufacture. This would explain the feathering, I believe. On the other hand, the paper holds up to just about anything else admirably and I've had excellent results with Sharpie Ultrafines and Sakura Microperms. The perforations and the nature of the paper require that the sheet is removed from the notebook before the wire-side chaff is torn off.

Be seeing you.
    No.6: “I am not a number, I am a person.”
    New No.2: “Six of one, half a dozen of another.”

Thanks

I found a notebook for sale in the Chapters 50% off bin so will try it out for $5.00. I have a few pens with BSB and if it works with those it will work with anything that I use.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

I tried this paper last night with a Jinhao X750, Jinhao M nib, and Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses ink. When I got up this morning, the ink was still wet and smeared when I touched it. I checked it again when I got home from work, and I could still smear the ink at the bottoms of the letters where the heavier deposit ofo ink was. I'm not sure, but this seems like an excessively long dry time!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mtnbiker62 For This Useful Post:

ThriveToScribe (January 23rd, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Ick. This was a no-go for me after about 2.37 lines of writing. I've now put it out in the garage to have notepaper - with a pencil - for workshop use.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I am not liking the odds as I read your posts. I have wasted my money by the sounds of things.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,476 Times in 1,742 Posts

This was a different 'rock' paper....found my original review and pics:

Normally I avoid buying anything with the 'green' label, but as a complete paper maniac, this 'rock paper' caught my eye.

Paper made of STONE? Strange and wonderful! A friend had sent me a single sheet of this (comes from Target)---and she got a kick out of it, too.

The brand name is Roo-bee---and the notebooks come two in a pack for under four dollars. The perfect-bound, squarish design is colorful and appealing in tones of green, yellow and blue.

It's HEAVY. As paper goes, really heavy. It's got a weirdly slick feel to it, and the little bound book in which this stone paper resides seems to slide right out of your hand due to the slickness and weight.

But the slickness vanishes once you begin writing on it. In fact, as paper goes, it's one of the least fp-friendly I've encountered. Ink bleeds and feathers. The paper displays noticeable drag. (Which I suppose could prove useful for minor nib-smoothing!)

Bear in mind that the colors of the various inks don't seem to be all that accurate. And while the rock paper is ruled, the lines haven't registered either in the scan. I've learned that the paper may be plastic coated with rock dust. Judging from its odd properties, it could be.

Stone paper is a curiosity for this paper otaku, nothing more. I can't see myself buying another notebook. Like many of the pens in my collection, it's going to stay simply because it is such an oddity.

Yes, the handwriting's horrible. I blame the paper. ;p

My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

So it appears I need to do some dry time testing. I am a bit backed up but I am adding it to my queue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I am not liking the odds as I read your posts. I have wasted my money by the sounds of things.
    I'm sad to say that you're probably right. I've now tried just about everything on this paper -- I even bought some Pentel Hybrid Technica pens to use on it. Most gel or rollerball pens seem to take a good 4 to 6 hours to dry completely. Fibre-tipped pens like Microns or other drawing pens drag and just don't feel right on the paper (looks good, though). The paper has an abrasive feedback. I'm going to have to say that this stuff might only be suitable for ballpoints and that's a place that I'm not going.

Be seeing you.

Thanks

I think it is pencil riffic. Sad it has such little utility. I used one page and chucked it. I may use it as coach journal with a Blackwing during baseball season to see if it stands up in rainy weather. It feels a little rubbery to me.

Thanks

They do stand up to weather, Mags. The paper is completely waterproof. It doesn't burn very well, either -- it just sort of melts.

Be seeing you.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 6of1 For This Useful Post:

Mags (February 5th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    I've been holding off reviewing the "paper" because of the extreme feathering I experienced. I have also read others say that the surface is rough enough that it could possibly change nib geometry. I have some reservations about that but I do have to admit that it does feel like the extra fine grit of those buff sticks. I have not seen any nib damage or changes in nib performance. There is also the fact that the environmental claims may be a stretch. I have not researched that claim so have no data to back it up.
    I would be inclined to agree on the abrasiveness of the paper. I've noted that with fibre-tipped pens that it wll wear them down to the point that they will not write properly in a couple of days. While I was testing the Sharpie Ultra Fine, I wrote three 3-page letters front and back and my Sharpie tip was ground down so that it would only write at one certain angle. Not metal, I know, but worth noting.

I wanted this to be so much more!

Be seeing you.
    Last edited by 6of1; February 5th, 2014 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks

Ok, I went back and tested mine for dry times and I just didn't have the same horrible results. I might write up a post later but for now I'll just post pics. At the end (Edit: it didn't post these so I'll add them to the next post) there are a few where I went back after 10 minutes and just scrubbed on the page with a napkin to see what was still wet. There was some but nothing that looked like it would last overnight. I know all pen/ink combos will be a bit different but I don't think this paper is worth chucking. I still use it for Fountain pens without worry.

Attachment 9655Attachment 9656Attachment 9657Attachment 9658Attachment 9659Attachment 9660Attachment 9661Attachment 9662Attachment 9663Attachment 9664
    Last edited by heath; February 7th, 2014 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heath For This Useful Post:

6of1 (February 11th, 2014), Jeph (February 7th, 2014), Sailor Kenshin (February 7th, 2014), VertOlive (February 7th, 2014)

Thanks

Nice extensive test, heath. Very much appreciated. I've found that finer nibs work best and that Noodler's Eel Blue out of a Sheaffer School Pen works. I agree that the paper isn't garbage, as it's also opened me up to looking at gel pens and rollerballs, which I hadn't ever really given any consideration.

Be seeing you.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to 6of1 For This Useful Post:

heath (February 11th, 2014)