Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hero 359: The Lamy Safari Knockoff

Thanks

Default Re: Hero 359: The Lamy Safari Knockoff

I do not have any Lamy cartridges, but I'd bet $$ they would fit the Hero. The Hero cart might not fit into the Lamy, as noted in the link, but it is probably not due to the size of the cartridge opening. They claim it will take Parker/Aurora carts, and those have the same aperture size as Lamy but a different cartridge body shape.

FWIW, the carts that come with the Hero are the exact same carts that come with the Zebra "301" series fountain pen and rollerball.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharlie View Post
    I do not have any Lamy cartridges, but I'd bet $$ they would fit the Hero. The Hero cart might not fit into the Lamy, as noted in the link, but it is probably not due to the size of the cartridge opening. They claim it will take Parker/Aurora carts, and those have the same aperture size as Lamy but a different cartridge body shape.

FWIW, the carts that come with the Hero are the exact same carts that come with the Zebra "301" series fountain pen and rollerball.
    Hmmm...got Parker, Hero, Lamy, and Zebra...now I gotta go check!
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sparkinflint View Post
    Doesnt jinhao have a model after the lamy safari aswell? Dunno if its any better than the hero so could someone do a review or link me to a review?
    Yes. The Jinhao makes a 599/599A knockoff. Nibs aren't near the shape of the Lamy or the Hero. Here's the review of the Jinhao 599: http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread....ghlight=Jinhao

Quote Originally Posted by kur1j View Post
    I know this is old but I found this searching on the internet trying to figure out what type of cartridge the Hero 359 takes and is is definitely note a International Cartridge that is stated in this post. If you read this blog it also states this. On top of that you can look at the cartridges that the Hero 359 ship with and that are much larger (length and diameter) than international cartridges.

Hope this saves someone some time when searching.

https://londonpenclub.wordpress.com/...-fountain-pen/
    I have one Hero 359 and several Jinhao 599s. All take Standard International Cartridges of both sizes. The Hero 359s run about $7-$9 range and the Jinhao 599s run $2-$5 range on Buy-It-Now on ebay.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brandonh View Post
    Hero 359: The Lamy Safari Knockoff

A note on copyright and patent
    Copyright is generally reserved for creative endeavors: a novel, a musical recording, a painting. Section 106 of the US Copyright Act of 1976 gives the owner of a copyright the exclusive rights to reproduce a work, prepare derivative works, and distribute copies of a work to the public by sale, lease, or rental. Well, clearly the Hero 359 is a derivative of the Lamy Safari! I don't disagree. However, copyright generally does not apply to "useful articles" which have a utilitarian function, such as clothing, furniture, vehicles, and even fonts and fragrances.

So how does Lamy protect its research and development of the Lamy Safari design if copyright protection is not available? Through patent protection. A patent gives exclusive rights to an inventor for a fixed period of time in exchange for the public disclosure of a new invention. There can be utility patents (that protect a functional process, machine, or article of manufacture), design patents (that protect ornamental design), and plant patents (that protect the breeding of agricultural good, such as apples). In this case, Lamy filed to patent the ornamental design of the Lamy Safari in the USA on July 30, 1980. While I am not familiar with German patent law, I do know that most patents expire in 17-20 years--meaning the ornamental design of the Lamy Safari is no longer protected by patent.
    Well, in Germany it is not that simple: There is a patent like "Geschmacksmuster", that would protect the design for 25 years. But, if you see the original design of the pen as a work of art (and I think it is kind of), there would be someone who is holding the "Urheberrecht" (kind of copyright) and licenses this design to Lamy. And this right stays intact till 70 years after the death of the original creator …
    BUT: I am as well no lawyer, so don't quote me on this ;-)

Conclusion summary
    The Hero 359 looks a lot like the Lamy Safari. The nibs are even interchangeable. For me, that's where the positive comparison stops. Heidelberg has nothing to fear from Shanghai. I like owning these pens for my Lamy Safari collection; if you're only interested in trying it out, I recommend the purple pen.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License by Brandon Hollingshead for fpgeeks.com, October 2013. This license extends to all text, images, and videos associated with this work.

Thanks

Good review and thanks.
    I have 3 Safaris and the Jinhao versions.
    I am sure nothing can beat the writing quality of Safari. Great pen.

Thanks

A purple (ish) Safari is coming out as a 2018 limited edition. As there is not much difference in price I would get the Lamy. I still have comcerns over Chinese quality control. For a few quid it doesn't matter but when the price approaches the genuine article it is different.