Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lamy Italic Nibs?

Thanks

Default Lamy Italic Nibs?

Does anyone have any experience with these? Even the smallest one, the 1.1, seems like it would be kinda of wide for regular writing. How does it compare to something like the nib of the Pilot Plumix? Are the edges sharp or is this more of a cursive italic? Has anyone tried these for calligraphy?

I thank you for your time and attention in reading and responding to this post.

Thanks

Default Re: Lamy Italic Nibs?

They're cursive italics, and I agree that 1.1 mm in general is rather more than is *needed* for everyday writing, but it seems to appeal to a lot of people. My favorite italic is an Esterbrook 9314-F "Relief" stub, just enough variation to be attractive without being presumptuous. <G>

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I own several Lamy 1.1 mm nibs and they are fun to use everyday. I write small but 1.1's work fine for me.

Here is a page from my Lamy Studio written review using the 1.1.

LamyStudioReview1 by IvanRomero, on Flickr

The TWSBI 1.1 vs the Lamy 1.1

TWSBI 1.1mm stub vs. Lamy 1.1mm stub by IvanRomero, on Flickr

The Kaweco 1.1

#kaweco Sport 1.1 mm #fountainpen nib. by IvanRomero, on Flickr

Stipula 1 mm I think, I traded for it, just a writing sample:

Stipula Nib Transplant 2 by IvanRomero, on Flickr
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

da vinci (November 14th, 2013), MechanicalAnalogy (January 14th, 2014), Robert (October 25th, 2013), yipe (October 22nd, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

A 1.1 is pretty standard and works well
    For regular writing. Yields writing big enough to be easy to read, pleasing line variation, etc. I have a number of 1.1 nibs including a Lamy and they are work horses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Wow thanks KrazyIvan that is really thorough of you! Which of those 1.1's is your favorite? Which gives the finest line when going side to side?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yipe View Post
    Wow thanks KrazyIvan that is really thorough of you! Which of those 1.1's is your favorite? Which gives the finest line when going side to side?
    I did not show my Goulet 1.1, that and the 1.1 Ken Cavers tuned for me are my favorites. Essentially, they are the same nib. Ken's is noticeably smoother. I generally don't like to leave the house with those. A Lamy 1.1 will always be in my EDC pen case. Kens nib delivers the finest line on the Horizontal.

Bamboo Pen by Ken Cavers by IvanRomero, on Flickr
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (October 22nd, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yipe View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with these? Even the smallest one, the 1.1, seems like it would be kinda of wide for regular writing. How does it compare to something like the nib of the Pilot Plumix? Are the edges sharp or is this more of a cursive italic? Has anyone tried these for calligraphy?

I thank you for your time and attention in reading and responding to this post.
    Originally I thought that too.

It depends on the angle of the edge of the nib. If you have it parallel with the lines on a page it will produce a wide downward stroke approx 1.1mm. But most people write with the edge rotated 30-45 degrees so the downward stroke will produce a much thinner line 0.5mm or so for cursive.

With this in mind you will see that even a 1.3 or 1.5 cursive italic/stub isn't too bad for regular writing.

See Richard Binder's Nibs reference for more detailed information on types of nibs - there is a link at the bottom of the page to further more details)
    http://www.richardspens.com/?nibs=primer
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogon07 For This Useful Post:

MechanicalAnalogy (January 14th, 2014)

Thanks

I sometimes use a 1.1 for cursive.
    I really like the look it gives to my cursive handwriting with only minor adjustment for the width of the nib.

But I write on wide ruled paper and use most of the vertical space on the line.

I'm a calligraphy novice, so printing is still difficult for me, not from the pen, but writing the letters so precisely with my hand at 45 degrees to the writing line.
    I can write half-way decently with my arm vertical at 90 degrees to the line.

Thanks

I find the Lamy 1.1 perfect, while my TWSBI 1.1 is a little too wide.
    I would like to get hold of a 0.8 or 0.9 stub, which i think would suit me better.
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hungerford View Post
    They're cursive italics, and I agree that 1.1 mm in general is rather more than is *needed* for everyday writing, but it seems to appeal to a lot of people. My favorite italic is an Esterbrook 9314-F "Relief" stub, just enough variation to be attractive without being presumptuous. <G>
    I agree and I've had 1.1 to 1.5 now and for me they are too much. I enjoy them but only for a bit of flair. The one I like now is 0.6mm that I ordered especially with my Nemosine.

Thanks

The Lamy 1.1 is my "standard" nib, used for general writing. Even the 1.5 works for me in that regard, but I save the 1.9 for calligraphy. Throughout my long lifetime I preferred Fine nibs, but once I discovered the 1.1 it opened a new world to me. I keep nine pens constantly inked--each with a different color of ink (because I dislike changing ink colors in a pen), and use the 1.1 for blue, brown, and green. (The pen with black ink bears the 1.9.) But for turquoise, violet, and sepia, for example, I use the 1.5 because the wider swath of ink better displays those beautiful colors, for the same reason I use flex pens for shading inks. I think once you try the 1.1 you'll be hooked.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Senecabud For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (October 23rd, 2013)

Thanks

I have the 1.9 at my office. When I get there later today I'll post a writing sample.

Thanks

Excuse the poor penmanship. I don't even know if some of those things are letters.

Attachment 6337

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to heath For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (October 23rd, 2013), Goldfish (October 25th, 2013), kaisnowbird (October 24th, 2013), tandaina (October 23rd, 2013), yipe (October 24th, 2013)

Thanks

Nice!!
    Also, I really like the ink colour - it goes wonderfully with the 'lime green?' Safari.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaisnowbird View Post
    Nice!!
    Also, I really like the ink colour - it goes wonderfully with the 'lime green?' Safari.
    Neon Yellow SE.

Thanks

Wow guys, thank you all so much! I'm convinced, next time I'm buying pen-y things a couple Lamy italic nibs are sure to be part of it.

Thanks

In real life I think merlot is rather redder than that. My bottle at least.

Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    I sometimes use a 1.1 for cursive.
    I really like the look it gives to my cursive handwriting with only minor adjustment for the width of the nib.

But I write on wide ruled paper and use most of the vertical space on the line.

I'm a calligraphy novice, so printing is still difficult for me, not from the pen, but writing the letters so precisely with my hand at 45 degrees to the writing line.
    I can write half-way decently with my arm vertical at 90 degrees to the line.
    It's not so much your hand that should be at 45 degrees, it's the nib edge. Try writing as you normally do, but rotate the pen in your hand until its the right angle.
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kaisnowbird View Post
    Nice!!
    Neon Yellow SE.
    For some reason I read that as "noon yellow" and could not for the life of me figure out what color that would be? The blinding bright yellow of the sun maybe?

Thanks

If the 1,1mm Lamy italic is too big for your writing - I regrind fine, medium and broad Lamy Z50 steel nibs into stubs and italics and have a few spare nibs that I don`t use to give away. So if you are interested in getting one of these send me a PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxoftritonytes For This Useful Post:

yipe (November 2nd, 2013)

Thanks

Cursive italic nibs aren't recommended for proper calligraphy as they are not crisp enough at the corners/edges (the very thing that makes them usable for cursive writing).
    But hey - anything can be used for a bit of practice on forming the letters - note GClef's use of a pencil.
    Last edited by cedargirl; November 3rd, 2013 at 11:25 PM. Reason: typo
    ... Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working [Pablo Picasso] ...