Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Notebook Strategies

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

Smile Re: Notebook Strategies

Here's what I've got going now.

• A daily journal. Right now it's an A5 size, pages roughly 5½ by 8¼, but I'm thinking that's a bit small. I plan another thread on that topic.
    • A log book that I use to make sure I've taken my medicines, done certain exercises, and record what I eat. At the moment I'm using a generic composition book, and the entries are as often done by rollerball as they are fountain pens.
    • A very small Moleskine that actually fits in my wallet, for when I don't have anything else to write on.
    • A slightly larger pocket notebook, right now a Rhodia 3 by 4 inch one, that I carry more often than not.
    • A "travel" journal, at the moment a bit over 4 x 6 I think, for when I want to keep a diary on the road. Again, a bit small for journaling.
    • A 3½ x 5½ Moleskine with regular lined paper but with alphabet tabs on the sides of the pages. It was a gift, and I think it was meant to be used as an address book. Instead, I'm using it as a personal dictionary. When I learn a new word, I write it down in the appropriate section with its definition.
    • Two separate notebooks that I'm using to write stories.
    • An employer provided top bound spiral notebook that's surprisingly good with fountain pens. I keep it at work, and use it strictly for job related notes.

I also had some fountain pen friendly legal and graph paper that I used strictly for pen testing, but I've run out now.

It does seem like rather a lot when I add it all up.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks

Default Re: Notebook Strategies

I love this thread! I've actually planning on writing a whole blog post on my 'notebook organization' as I call it. I love that people have a bunch of notebooks to, it makes me feel less like a crazy notebook user.

I've got a whole bunch of notebooks ongoing right now.

- my 5"x7.5" Alunsina leather journal as my main journal.

- A5 Starbucks planner for home use. I also do some mini journaling here at the end of the day when I'm not feeling up to writing an actual journal entry yet or if I know I'm not going to journal about it.

- A5 Muji lines notebook for quotes

- B5 Muji blank notebook for craft plans on one side and organization on the other

- a Victoria's journals leather notebook holder that's like an MTN passport size which I carry everywhere. It's got a planner (appointments get copied in from my home planner and this is where I keep track of spending), a notebook for notes, plus my dreams (as in while sleeping) notebook

- an A5 scribe notebook for story/character notes plus another notebook for random story fragments

- a notepad for daily to do lists (I'm just trying to finish this and then I'm merging this with my notebook in my VJ fauxdori)

Oh, and I've also got a bunch of index cards for my chronological index for my journals, and I'm currently working on a topic index for my journals.

It sounds like a mess, but it really does work as a system for me.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zzdia For This Useful Post:

inlovewithjournals (January 18th, 2014), Lbravo (February 15th, 2014), Mags (January 18th, 2014)

Senior Member inlovewithjournals's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zzdia View Post
    I love this thread! I've actually planning on writing a whole blog post on my 'notebook organization' as I call it. I love that people have a bunch of notebooks to, it makes me feel less like a crazy notebook user.

I've got a whole bunch of notebooks ongoing right now.

- my 5"x7.5" Alunsina leather journal as my main journal.

- A5 Starbucks planner for home use. I also do some mini journaling here at the end of the day when I'm not feeling up to writing an actual journal entry yet or if I know I'm not going to journal about it.

- A5 Muji lines notebook for quotes

- B5 Muji blank notebook for craft plans on one side and organization on the other

- a Victoria's journals leather notebook holder that's like an MTN passport size which I carry everywhere. It's got a planner (appointments get copied in from my home planner and this is where I keep track of spending), a notebook for notes, plus my dreams (as in while sleeping) notebook

- an A5 scribe notebook for story/character notes plus another notebook for random story fragments

- a notepad for daily to do lists (I'm just trying to finish this and then I'm merging this with my notebook in my VJ fauxdori)

Oh, and I've also got a bunch of index cards for my chronological index for my journals, and I'm currently working on a topic index for my journals.

It sounds like a mess, but it really does work as a system for me.
    It doesn't sound like a mess to me at all, as I'm a fellow crazy notebook user! Be sure to let us know when you write your post on notebook organization, I would be very interested.
    Check out my blog: http://inlovewithjournals.wordpress.com/

The perfect place for a writer is in the hideous roar of a city, with men making a new road under his window in competition with a barrel organ, and on the mat a man waiting for the rent. - Henry Vollam Morton

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inlovewithjournals View Post
    It doesn't sound like a mess to me at all, as I'm a fellow crazy notebook user! Be sure to let us know when you write your post on notebook organization, I would be very interested.
    Thanks! I'll work on the post once babyMac (my lappy) is back from the repair shop, hopefully by next week

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zzdia For This Useful Post:

inlovewithjournals (January 20th, 2014)

Thanks

Like many fountain pen users, I've become a notebook addict as I've searched for a paper type that would hold the ink well. I am a sometime writer, historian and like to organize myself with a pocket notebook. My search for the perfect notebook has led me down many blind alleys, and led to a proliferation of notebooks of different sizes.

Right now my notebooks consist of:
    -a Leuchtturm 1917 pocket notebook, lined hard cover. This is the end result of long and fruitless experimentation with all sorts of moleskin-type notebooks. The nearest best thing I found so far is the Markings pocket notebook, but I haven't gone back since I found a consignment of cheap Leuchtturms at a Half-Price Books, and eventually bought all I could find in the city. Now I have to order them online. This one stays in my pocket everywhere I go, and is useful for passwords, agendas, lists, and short notes. In a pinch I can write longer notes and drafts in it too. These are also nice for my historical research, because the small size and stiff covers make it easy to carry deep into the library stacks and jot notes with.

-a leather-bound softcover journal I bought at Barnes and Noble (the cheap, Indian-made ones), with the pages removed and replaced with three Piccadilly booklets held in place with elastic bands, Midori Traveller-style. Piccadilly products are problematic, since most I've tried have bad paper. Somehow I got a batch with decent paper, and these are currently in the leather journal. I use it for journal entries and longer notes and drafts.

-a stiffer, but still soft bonded leather notebook cover someone gave me, retrofitted with elastic Midori Traveller style. I put a neat petit savage softcover notebook and a Piccadilly booklet in this one, and use it for drafts and theological notes.

-a larger, designwallas brand softcover notebook, formerly used for rough drafts and to transcribe historical documents.

-a small Moleskine cahier I rejected for use with fountain pens, and use as a "military notebook" containing specific information about War of 1812 artillery ranges, regimental numbers, equipment and other trivia I take with me to historical reenactments. It's full, so I'll probably replace it this year with a leather bound journal jury-rigged, again, from one of the cheap Indian leather diaries from Barnes and Noble.

Thanks

here's the blog post on my notebooks so you can see some pics: http://zzdia.wordpress.com/2014/01/2...-organization/

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zzdia For This Useful Post:

caribbean_skye (February 15th, 2014), heath (January 27th, 2014), Lbravo (February 15th, 2014)

Thanks

Wow. Thanks to all who posted here. I will write up a post with pics when I get more time. I will show this thread to all who think I am the only one who MUST have the right book for the right topic and something of a system for all of it!
    Write me:
    Lori Bravo
    www.loribravo.com
    2313 Lockhill-Selma Rd. #216
    San Antonio, TX 78230
    USA

Or, I'll write you: Postable

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zzdia View Post
    here's the blog post on my notebooks so you can see some pics: http://zzdia.wordpress.com/2014/01/2...-organization/
    Thanks for sharing. Gives me ideas for my other journals now.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,790 Times in 1,644 Posts

Revisiting this thread, I find I've morphed around a bit as to my notebook lineup:

Tomoe River A5 bound hardcover notebook: Daily-ish Journal

Kyokuto A5 dot grid spiral bound notebook: Current Class Notes

Rhodia A4 spiral bound notebook: Ink Journal/ Calligraphy practice

Fiddling around with a Crica Sampler Pack for Exercise Log [still not sure it works for this]

Still using the cheapie yellow 5x7 pad for Grocery and To Do lists.....
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,716 Posts

For InCo, i entered addresses in a Field Notes that I was already using to log pen trades, sales, giveaways, etc. I did not leave enough space for notations so I probably lost track of tuck-ins and started repeating myself. -_-
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 3,790 Times in 1,644 Posts

Set the Circa aside as just not sturdy and portable enough.

Trying to find an easy carry notebook and attached teeny pen so that I have no excuse to "Think Fuzzy" when logging calories. Right now it's a spiral bound pack of 3x5 cards and a cheapie mini gel pen. Field trials to commence tomorrow...
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Many. I use many notebooks. For this post, I pulled out my pocket notebook and made a list:

Journal: handmade

Four-year diary: a series of Doane pocket notebooks, stored in a 4 x 6 photo box that's a perfect fit

Pocket notebook: Doane or Field Notes or some other look-alike, a catch-all that goes everywhere with me

Daily logbook of health/fitness stuff, like running mileage: composition book

Commonplace book: handmade

Poems I like: Clairefontaine notebooks (I have a folder full of loose sheets that I'm slowly transcribing into notebooks)

Ink journal: Clairefontaine notebook

Books I've read: Paperblanks notebook

Passwords: Field Notes

and I have a Circa notebook that allows me to carry around loose sheets of onion skin and laser jet paper and whatever else I feel like putting in there

um, and there's a Steno pad in my lunch bag, and one in my tote bag

Eeesh! Many.

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

Smile Re: Notebook Strategies

1. Work - I have Bullet Journal-ed since last August and it is a fantastic fit for me. I am in a Rhodia A5 Dot Grid webbie. When it is full, soon, I am going to try the Baron Fig Dot
    2. I have an Ink/Pen combo record in a Rhodia 48 sheet 14.8 x 21 cm softside notebook - not sure what it is called officially. If I do not do this I forget which ink is in which pen. I use 1st 2 pages as the Index.
    3. I have an Oprah Lifeclass journal I had for quite a while until I did a 21 day grateful class and ow use it for daily "gratefulls". It will be full in a week and will have to start another. Thanks Oprah & Mentors Chanel for the notebook and the exercise in being grateful every day.
    4. I have a Levenger 5 year journal that I record short daily personal and world events. I am 6 months in. Gonna be fun.
    5. I have a Miscelany Book - Clairefontaine 96 sheets 11 x 17 cm. I use it to record misc. items I see on the internet and do not want to forget or that I might want to refer back to. I use the firstfew pages as the Index.
    6. Whitelines lined A5 I use as a study for increasing EQ (emotional quotient) and stress reducing learning's. I record EQ & stress reducing techniques for review and exercises to improve my EQ & reduce stress.
    7. I keep a small Rhodia webbie in my purse for writing down things quickly and usually to do's or move the info to computers or other notebooks or files.

I did not really realize I had seven in progress. Thanks for the opportunity to reflect. I am doing OK, they all have a purpose.
    My Baron Fig is here ready to go and yes, I have 4-5 other notebooks in reserve for when I decide I need something to write another topic or interest down in.
    I do have to figure out how to start keeping track of letters in and out. Thanks a lot InCoWriMo (sarcasm heavy here)- my 1st last Feb. now how do I do this?
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by countrydirt View Post
    I'm going in a different direction and trying to get down to 1 notebook devoted to everything but journaling. However, at the moment I have a Kokoyu Buncobon for a bullet journal, a Field Notes for on the go notes, a CF Life Unplugged for a mail log and a Habana for my journal. I don't keep an ink log.
    My goal is to get to the buncobon as my primary notebook, including mail log, and to the Habana for extended journal writing.
    hey, that's been my goal too! for the past year, year and a half? I wanted the ability to pack up my entire desktop in one small totebag so I could more easily work in coffee shops and such (also, to save some thinking when packing for trips, lol). My computer stuff was already pretty pared down, so that was no problem, but if I wanted real portability I knew the eleventy billion notebooks had to go.

I'm pretty much there already, and OMG do I ever recommend it!! If you're starting out with a lot it can be daunting, but I think as long as you focus on reducing a little at a time, you will get there sooner than you expect. I should know, I started out with this totally massive setup that would barely fit in my current tote WITHOUT the laptop and charger! Haha, it was bad :P

How are you getting on then?