Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Notebook Strategies

Thanks

Default Notebook Strategies

I posted this on my blog but thought I'd potentially get more feedback here. If you want to see all the images and see the post on my blog click here.

I’ve been in this community long enough to know I am not alone. Us pen and paper folks aren’t generally one notebook people. I have quite a few but imagine I’ll be getting even more in the future. This post is both my ponderings on the idea of a notebook use strategy as well as an open call to find out what yours are. If you have a particular strategy or way you use your notebooks please share!

Attachment 6339

My notebook strategies may be quite boring so if you just want to share yours skip to the comments. Think you might be interested? Here’s a look into the mind of the man behind PPIL.

I have on average 7 notebooks I am using at any given time.

• Since the middle of August my primary notebook has been a TWSBI medium grid. I chose that notebook because it is relatively fountain pen friendly and as my primary notebook I knew I would be writing in it with a wide variety of pens. I also chose the grid version because I am using the bullet journaling method and a grid seems to work best.
    • My second notebook is the one that is always in my pocket. I have a Big Skinny leather passport wallet that holds a Scout Books pocket notebook. It’s my on the fly jotting notebook. If I go in a store I can take notes or ideas, create small list, etc. without having to bring in my primary notebook. It too is relatively fountain pen friendly. Anything that is of importance that goes into this notebook eventually gets copied into my main notebook.
    • I also have a Moleskine Folio A4 Notebook that is used for brainstorming or business ideas that need a bigger canvas when I am using fine point fountain pens or ball/gel pens. It doesn’t take a wet fountain pen well but I have used it for taking notes for a while and there are just some times this large size (slightly larger than a standard sheet of 8.5×11″ paper) works well. I used it for Greek vocabulary and writing practice so I could get a lot of information on a spread as I needed to reference some of it as I wrote more of it. This notebook usually goes where ever my laptop bag goes. If I leave my bag at the office as I often do it stays there too.
    • When I got the TWSBI medium grid notebook for bullet journaling I went ahead and picked up a large blank TWSBI notebook. It isn’t as big as the Moleskine A4 but there are times I just love the blank fountain pen friendly pages. I thought it was going to be exclusively for calligraphy practice at first but it basically gets used whenever I want a larger canvas for my fountain pens that isn’t loose leaf.
    • An actual journal. I like to write stories but I’m not great at it. I want to keep a regular journal but so far I have been horrible at it. After a review of some scout pocket notebooks I did on my personal blog Scout Books sent me some more to try out including a few Mega notebooks. They are slightly wider than my main TWSBI but short enough I can slip it into my bullet journal and be held in by the elastic strap. I have a few dated pages where I have attempted to record my thoughts and a few weeks of sermon notes from church in it. My hope is that by carrying it with me nearly all the time I will record my thoughts more often as I get a break here and there. The primary problem is that a father of a newborn, a 1 year old and a three year old who is runs his own business and is at the whim of his clients just doesn’t get all that much down time. I value reading over writing and I make time to read books that are important to me. I hope to start making more time for writing before long as well.
    • My quotebook. As I just mentioned I’m not great at writing down what I’m thinking but one thing I have found helpful to me is writing down what other people have said. I’ll write out verses or quotes from Spurgeon sermons. I’ll write out quotes from books I am reading or quotes I see online. It helps me record them to memory and it is a great chance to use different fountain pens. I’ll usually take any part of a quote that seems to really punch and write it with a Pilot Parallel or my Safari with a 1.9mm nib. I’ll use multiple pens with multiple inks to make writing them out more interesting and will sometimes try a new script out in here. Like I've already said I don’t have loads of extra time so calligraphy practice isn’t usually on the top of my list but this notebook incorporates that with something I am already doing. This notebook is probably the most important to second most important to me behind my primary notebook.
    • Ink Journal. I am currently using a Large Moleskine grid notebook for this but it has become obvious it isn’t up for the challenge. I’d like to find something that can handle a wet dip pen as that’s what I use for ink samples I want to see on paper but don’t want to ink another pen with. Starting from the front each ink gets a full page writing and ink sample. If I have it in two very different pens setups like a broad and and extra fine I’ll sometimes do this part twice. From the back of the notebook I give each ink three lines for some basic info and a patch of ink for easier comparison between many different inks.

I get that seven notebooks sounds like a lot but each has its own purpose. I have flirted with moving to a few more but keep coming back to this strategy.

I have several others that I wouldn't say are in my regular rotation but that I use from time to time. I have a cheap store brand small yellow pad that is always on my desk in case I have to get something on paper in a hurry while I’m on the phone. I have a Calligraphy Notebook that I use sporadically. I have a 2013 Moleskine pocket planner that I was using before I started the bullet method that I have to go back and reference from time to time. I also have a handful of others that always seem to be around. I’ll grab them from time to time when I feel like a change.

I can’t wait to hear how you all use your notebooks!

- Heath

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to heath For This Useful Post:

da vinci (October 24th, 2013), earthdawn (October 24th, 2013), Heliotrope (October 30th, 2013), inlovewithjournals (January 11th, 2014), VertOlive (October 24th, 2013), WsRub04 (October 31st, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,470 Times in 1,739 Posts

Default Re: Notebook Strategies

Fascinating, Captain, lol...I enjoyed this.

I'm trying to think of how many I have.

A 'regular' journal which is usually just a comp notebook.

A Field Notes log book for fp and ink trades, sales, etc.

A 'religion' journal...I've gone through many, and the actual notebook changes every time, from spiral to Field Notes to small hardcover journal with India paper.

An ink and pen test log book, currently a medium Clairefontaine with gridded paper.

A Quotes journal. One of many smallish hardcover bound journals of different sizes from my mother.

A daily task list...whatever cheapo spiral notebook that's on hand.

And whatever various notebook or sheets I'm writing my current story/chapter in...

How many's that? I was absent the day they taught counting.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

heath (October 24th, 2013), VertOlive (October 24th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

That many notebooks makes me anxious!!!!

I have an ink journal notebook that sits in the bookshelf but I always forget to use it. So it almost doesn't count.

I have a Midori notebook that is used for work, and any lists, notes, etc that come up. And one journal that I use for well, journaling. Currently a TWSBI journal but I don't like the paper, it doesn't hold up to my flex nibs so I'll go back to something else in the future when this one is full. That's it.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

heath (October 24th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

Until I came here, I used cheapo dollar store spiral bound notebooks for journalling and that same small yellow pad that's sitting on Heath's desk for grocery and to-do lists. I gave up using the one fountain pen I had because of bleed-through on the journal pages. [Guess why]. Small, top bound spiral notebooks give me hives, so none of those.

I am now the owner of a Rodia notebook [9-ish by 11-ish?] for my journal and can write with my fountain pen in any color ink I choose with gay abandon--what a revelation!

Since I'm still at the stage where I'm sitting here with my first 4 samples of ink-ever-I want to start off with an Ink Journal too. Before I wander off and get more samples and forget what I tried first.

So--no go on the Moleskine grid notebook.

Maybe on a Clairefontaine grid.

Any other suggestions?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (October 28th, 2013), heath (October 24th, 2013)

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

I try to stay simple, but....

One notebook for the novel I'm working on. Since this takes several notebooks, it will end up as a stack.

One idea notebook. I'm focused on the novel, but things drift into my brain for future novels and must be written before they're lost.

A notebook for brainstorming the next novel: if I need a break from the current novel, it's fun to think about the next one.

A notebook for what I'm learning. I'm currently learning Chinese. Without a notebook...yipe!

I have a binder that is forming the "bible" of my science fiction universe for my novels. It contains characters, planets, companies, maps, technologies, and the like.

I'm not picky about brand or type, except I prefer glue and stitching over spiral bound or rings. Also, it should work with my pens. Here is the novel I'm currently editing in its many different notebooks:

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

dr.grace (October 25th, 2013), heath (October 24th, 2013), MechanicalAnalogy (January 2nd, 2014), PowerWriter (December 30th, 2013), Sailor Kenshin (October 25th, 2013)

Thanks

This got me thinking...

I have a notebook for work - either A4 or B5 (because I like variety) and preferably dots but lines will do. I take all my meeting notes in it, write my work To Do List, do my thinking and planning.

I have a (wonderful) Tomoe River Notebook for a daily "journal"/ summary (have just started this because I wanted an excuse to buy 1 or 3).

I have an A5 note book (usually Leuchtturm or Behance - dots) for writing any rubbish that comes into my head when I'm eating or reading.

I also have a B5 size Paper Blanks Journal for Business thoughts as well as ideas for articles.

Finally, I have a pocket sized Rhodia a pad in the car for writing down things I need to do or remember when I'm in the car (eg buy petrol, go to the Post Office etc)
    Last edited by Newjelan; October 26th, 2013 at 12:06 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Newjelan For This Useful Post:

heath (October 25th, 2013)

Thanks

I have a notebook (A4) for work, and another one at home that I use as a journal (A5). Currently, both are Sigel notebooks. They have replaced Leuchtturm1917 as my favorite supplier.

Thanks

Waski's post reminds me that I have several more notebooks at play. The Story Bible, of course. It's an old schoolkids' agenda inside a Mead case. One half-filled comp notebook with scribbled short stories. One Field Notes size book from Mead with, oh, just random stuff. One from China donated by someone who used to send me pens for review, which I now use for oh, more random stuff. And a Field Notes full of innerwebs and computer tricks.

And probably more I'm forgetting. But th above don't get as much use as those I listed before. I should take some pics.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Until I came here, I used cheapo dollar store spiral bound notebooks for journalling and that same small yellow pad that's sitting on Heath's desk for grocery and to-do lists. I gave up using the one fountain pen I had because of bleed-through on the journal pages. [Guess why]. Small, top bound spiral notebooks give me hives, so none of those.

I am now the owner of a Rodia notebook [9-ish by 11-ish?] for my journal and can write with my fountain pen in any color ink I choose with gay abandon--what a revelation!

Since I'm still at the stage where I'm sitting here with my first 4 samples of ink-ever-I want to start off with an Ink Journal too. Before I wander off and get more samples and forget what I tried first.

So--no go on the Moleskine grid notebook.

Maybe on a Clairefontaine grid.

Any other suggestions?
    Yes...almost forgot. A lot depends on your favorite binding style but...

Arc disk notebooks have pretty decent paper and are flexible about adding and subtracting sheets. They are from Staples.

Noah's Arc?

Staples also used to offer spiral-bound Bagasse journals with very good paper, in full and half sizes. Those would make good ink journals too.

As for the disc notebooks, Levenger Circa came first, and is a similar system with slightly better paper, also offered with Rhodia paper.

Maybe you'd get the smallest size available of each, to compare? Even the small one would make a decent ink journal, especially if you don't yet suffer from the Too Many Inks Syndrome, for which there is no cure.

Thanks

Interesting thread

I have a Rhodia a5 ruled notebook that i write in with each new pen I buy to test the nib etc.

I have 2 Asda (owned by Walmart based in uk) executive a5 grided notebooks, one for personal one for business general jottings.

I have an a5 and an a4 staples arc, both fitted with extension discs and filled with various templates that i print on 100gsm paper also from Staples. I just cannot make up my mind if the convenience of the a4 size outweighs the inconvenience of lugging it around in my briefcase!

I own other notebooks, particularly a Midouri TN, which looks lovely, but I don't know what to use it for!

As a p.s. if anyone knows of a long thin ( I am thinking something like 4 inches by 2.5 inches) spiral bound notebook (spiral on the short edge) of high quality please do let me know! Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by da vinci View Post
    I have 2 Asda (owned by Walmart based in uk) executive a5 grided notebooks, one for personal one for business general jottings.
    How do you like them? I have one on the go at the moment, and it's not standing up well to wet writing.

Thanks

Thank you all for the inspiration. I've started a bullet journal today.
    I was thinking about buying a new notebook for it, but my wife screamed objection and told me that she has a stack of those lying around with only a few pages used in each of them. What a waste!
    I promptly went through her shelves, took over the best looking one she has, stapled the first 5 sheets together and started afresh. Haha!
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kaisnowbird For This Useful Post:

countrydirt (October 28th, 2013), heath (October 26th, 2013), Tracy Lee (October 26th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by da vinci View Post
    How do you like them? I have one on the go at the moment, and it's not standing up well to wet writing.
    I am surprised as mine are excellent quality and stand any kind of use. I know there are different kinds, these are the hardback black leatherette covered ones. I should caveat my comment by saying both of mine were bought over 12 months ago when i stocked up. I wonder if maybe there has benn a paper change?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply da vinci. I stocked up too, can't remember when but definitely at least a year ago, inspired by this review.

It's strange. The book I'm using at the moment held up brilliantly to everything thrown at it - vintage flex included - until I hit the second signature. All of a sudden there was bleed through everywhere except with the driest pens or iron gall inks. Not particularly happy about that! All the same, at the price it would be churlish to complain too vociferously - I've adjusted my pen and ink strategy to suit.

Thanks

I have several in use--around the house and in my handbag, as well as always having one in my back pocket.

I use the following in A5 and/or pocket size:
    Moleskine (squared preferably, or lined)
    Leuchtturm1917 (dot grid)
    Field Notes (grid)
    Black N Red (spiral and book-bound) - just wish the lines were narrower.

I prefer dot-grid when I can get it, and I use my fountain (italic nibs and flex) with all of them, occasionally with pencil (Blackwings are my favorite).

I didn't know about Arc disk notebooks, but I think I'll try one next time I'm at Staples. I doubt, though, that no matter how well I organize it, I can't get by using only one notebook at a time. I have some dedicated to journaling and some for use at church seminars and Bible study and some just for random scriblings and one for trying the Bullet Journaling method (jury is still out on that one).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

I use seven notebooks currently.

Clockwise from top left:
    Kokuyo Campus notebook. Notes I take on stuff I read. I've found taking notes easily doubles the value of the time I spend reading.
    Small Rhodia Spiral Gris notebook. 3 things Journal- Before bed I list 3 things that went well that day, and why. This helps me figure out how come my life is so awesome.
    Blank Drawing Notebook: brainstorms.
    Sustainable Earth Bagasse 8.5x11 notebook. Ongoing master to-do list as per Mark Forster's Autofocus system.
    Clairfontaine grid notebook: daily journal
    Spiral Bound Index Cards: Daily to Dos
    Ring Bound Index Cards: Concept and idea capture Index cards. A fantastic tool! learn about this in A Technique for Producing Ideas

and that's my halloween mask, encrusted w/ googley eyes!

IMG_20131026_172113.jpg
    IMG_20131026_172223.jpg

Thanks

I'm going in a different direction and trying to get down to 1 notebook devoted to everything but journaling. However, at the moment I have a Kokoyu Buncobon for a bullet journal, a Field Notes for on the go notes, a CF Life Unplugged for a mail log and a Habana for my journal. I don't keep an ink log.
    My goal is to get to the buncobon as my primary notebook, including mail log, and to the Habana for extended journal writing.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to countrydirt For This Useful Post:

Mags (October 30th, 2013)

Thanks

No matter how nice the paper, I,ve decided I don't really do well with anything spiral-bound, so I tend to use those up for throwaway scribbles, like to-do lists.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

PowerWriter (December 30th, 2013)

Thanks

Fascinating indeed. I find myself evolving toward a similar strategy. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Thanks for the reply da vinci. I stocked up too, can't remember when but definitely at least a year ago, inspired by this review.

It's strange. The book I'm using at the moment held up brilliantly to everything thrown at it - vintage flex included - until I hit the second signature. All of a sudden there was bleed through everywhere except with the driest pens or iron gall inks. Not particularly happy about that! All the same, at the price it would be churlish to complain too vociferously - I've adjusted my pen and ink strategy to suit.
    With apologies for the off topic post, i bought an A6 version yesterday to start a bullet journal. With an mb144 BB nib it is awful. Lots of show through and feathering. It must be a paper change as it performs radically differently to my a5 ( older) versions.