Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Minimum Post Count to Post a For Sale Thread

Thanks

Default Re: Minimum Post Count to Post a For Sale Thread

I appreciate the various views on this thread and understand the concern that started it. But I would hate to see this forum bogged down with a extra rules to address an issue that isn't a serious problem.

Solution? As suggested by others:
    If you don't know and trust the person, don't buy from them.
    If you do know and trust a person - do buy and then post an appropriate feedback using the iTrader system.

Simple! - I think.

I agree that requiring a minimum number of posts just encourages the junk posts (as pointed out by Dan); and I really appreciate that they occur less often here - probably because of the very useful "thanks" feature. In order to encourage useful posts, the restriction could perhaps be based on "reputation". But I still think my first option is better.
    ... Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working [Pablo Picasso] ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cedargirl For This Useful Post:

jde (October 30th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cedargirl View Post
    I appreciate the various views on this thread and understand the concern that started it. But I would hate to see this forum bogged down with a extra rules to address an issue that isn't a serious problem.

Solution? As suggested by others:
    If you don't know and trust the person, don't buy from them.
    If you do know and trust a person - do buy and then post an appropriate feedback using the iTrader system.

Simple! - I think.

I agree that requiring a minimum number of posts just encourages the junk posts (as pointed out by Dan); and I really appreciate that they occur less often here - probably because of the very useful "thanks" feature. In order to encourage useful posts, the restriction could perhaps be based on "reputation". But I still think my first option is better.
    I don't want this to come off the wrong way, but again, my reasons for creating this thread had nothing to do with safety. I don't believe in creating rules that protect people from their own ignorance.

The possibility of junk posts is a moot point in my opinion. There are several registered members whose only contribution to the forum is to sell. Those are junk posts as far as I'm concerned. At one point when I last checked, 50% of the threads on the first page of the for sale forum were created by members with less than 15 posts.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Got it, I think the multiple posts for multiple sales from a person that does not participate in the forum comes off as spam. I know it annoys me. I use the "What's New" link to get my forum posts. I purposely skip over those, view what interests me and then mark the forums as read. Spam gone. Until the next bump. So, maybe a post count limit in the for sale section in conjunction with the itrader stuff already in place might be better.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

AndyT (October 30th, 2013), cwent2 (October 30th, 2013), Goldfish (October 30th, 2013), hamag (November 29th, 2013), mmahany (October 30th, 2013), Tracy Lee (October 30th, 2013)

Thanks

I just checked my post count......41....Dang
    So if I start posting Sweet!, +1, Agreed, Montblanc Sucks...... If I add an emoticon to it, will that make it post worthy for counting purposes?

I just checked my "Thanks" count....7.....Double Dang
    If we use a "Thanks" count....are we allowed to Thank ourselves?

Really folks, who cares if someone comes on here and just tries to sell. WE DO HAVE A FEEDBACK/iTRADER section where those who don't play nice will get their do, and then through natural selection, their sales threads/post will diminish in time. And if they do play nice, are reputable sellers, get good feedback, etc...are we still going to limit them because they don't "contribute" to the forums? Would providing nice pens and nice service not be deemed a "contribution".

Please....less government.

Thanks,

Rick
    Last edited by talkinghead; November 1st, 2013 at 05:15 PM.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to talkinghead For This Useful Post:

cedargirl (November 1st, 2013), maiboo (November 22nd, 2013), piscov (November 3rd, 2013), raging.dragon (January 3rd, 2014)

Thanks

At the same time these strangers might be people who have bought/ sold and made a reputation at other websites and now will try to sell here or even have a blog or website where they predominantly post. Contributing by posting or contributing by offering pens which one is more important? Remember that first comes a minimum posting number then comes premier memberships
    Be Here Now

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Titivillus For This Useful Post:

talkinghead (November 1st, 2013)

Thanks

I'm one of those who reads but does not (almost) post.
    Too many rules among other issues is what has driven many out of FPN.
    Nor participating nor selling guaranties nothing. Many of us will remember, for instance, Docnib/Nursenib?.
    I've haven't posted anything for sale here yet, but I'm doing so right now.
    Jde, I wish I had the same virtue you do so often show; stating big truths with a calm, soft way that offends no one and teaches many of us how thnigs should be done. Thank you for it.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ondina For This Useful Post:

hamag (November 29th, 2013), jde (November 23rd, 2013), reprieve (November 3rd, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Dan

Could the sales forum be split into two sections? One for those meeting a defined set of thread starts/posts/thanks/rep score/etc and the other for members not meeting the requirements.

Todd
    I think splitting the classifieds into two sections makes it more cumbersome to use.

Also, I think we've established that meeting a certain requirement of posts, thanks, etc. doesn't make one more or less trustworthy. So, really, what's the point?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmahany View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Dan

Could the sales forum be split into two sections? One for those meeting a defined set of thread starts/posts/thanks/rep score/etc and the other for members not meeting the requirements.

Todd
    I was actually thinking the exact same thing.

I firmly believe that rules should be designed so that they only affect those who have the potential to abuse them. The last thing I want is for established members to lose their privileges on here (again, that's what FPN did).

One idea along those lines:
    Member classifieds- You must have x amount of posts, been a member for x months, and/or be a paying member of the site to post. This would be for items above a certain price threshold $20/$50/$100 (or whatever makes sense).

Garage Sale- Anyone can post in this. It would be designed for items below $20/$50/$100 (or whatever makes sense). It would allow new members to establish themselves, but without significant financial risk to buyers. It would also allow people to search for listings within their price range, plus it would cater to people like Vanness1938 that sell inks or other lower priced items.

As I mentioned above, I think separating the forum for organizational purposes is a poor choice. We don't have the traffic for that requirement yet, but it's something I'll start looking into.

Thanks

The possibility of junk posts is a moot point in my opinion. There are several registered members whose only contribution to the forum is to sell. Those are junk posts as far as I'm concerned. At one point when I last checked, 50% of the threads on the first page of the for sale forum were created by members with less than 15 posts.
    A few posts below the one I'm quoting above, Rick makes an excellent point. He probably wouldn't qualify to post in the classifieds forum if we set requirements, yet he's someone I've dealt with and met personally and would recommend to anyone. He offers lots of great pens to sell. Is his contribution less significant than someone who just shared a pic of a pen they just bought?

Take into consideration that half this community rotates around items they've just purchased. Who here has stopped at just one pen, notebook, or bottle of ink?

The number of posts one has does not make them more or less trustworthy, nor does it make them more or less a member of this community.

It's easy to scroll past posts you have no interest in.

From here on out, I think we should focus on using the iTrader feedback system to solve the problem.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

cedargirl (November 3rd, 2013), fpquest (November 3rd, 2013), hamag (November 29th, 2013), jde (November 3rd, 2013), kaisnowbird (November 4th, 2013), piscov (November 3rd, 2013), reprieve (November 3rd, 2013)

Thanks

I must say I don't agree with this line of thinking for several reasons:

1) It would be very easy for someone to be posting innocuous and unuseful posts everywhere just to have the minimum posts to sell;
    2) To avoid that the Admin and Mods would have a lot more work to verify all the posts and to judge witch ones would count to that minimum selling limit;
    3) Having people selling here will give members the chance to buy pens at a better price as competition between seller will increase.
    4) Sellers ( I do sell here as you know and I am also an active member) often are collectors and enjoy, like I do, post about their favorite pens. If they start to use this forum and enjoy it they may become more involved with the community and that will benefit both parts
    5) This discussion reminds me FPN and that is not fun. I decided not to use FPN because all their rules, including the new selling ones, and because of the forcelfull and wrong implementation they did and would hate to see that hapen here. ( yes, I am still in queuing line to moderation to approve any post I make there, so I decided to simply not post anything even not related with a selling activity)
    6) "THIS FORUM IS GREAT AND ENJOYABLE because Admin is not dictatorial and imposing on members.
    6) Buyers should decide if they want to buy or not from any seller.

To increase safety I would propose the implementation of a rating/feedback system of some kind , not creating artificial barriers that would be easily surpass by someone with a wrong intent.

Just my two cents on this.

Best regards

Vasco

I remember the Kirkylarky (Brian Cifiani) problem some months ago and this community dealt with it and was able to prevent almost all buyers from being tricked into buying from this guy.

Please lets not make the same mistakes FPN did....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    A few posts below the one I'm quoting above, Rick makes an excellent point. He probably wouldn't qualify to post in the classifieds forum if we set requirements, yet he's someone I've dealt with and met personally and would recommend to anyone. He offers lots of great pens to sell. Is his contribution less significant than someone who just shared a pic of a pen they just bought?

Take into consideration that half this community rotates around items they've just purchased. Who here has stopped at just one pen, notebook, or bottle of ink?

The number of posts one has does not make them more or less trustworthy, nor does it make them more or less a member of this community.

It's easy to scroll past posts you have no interest in.

From here on out, I think we should focus on using the iTrader feedback system to solve the problem.

I could not put this in better words!!
    100% agree with you! Its great to have you as a Admin. My thanks to your great work!!

Thanks

Tagging photos of the items to be sold with a piece of paper with one's ID, 'fpgeeks' and date is a good way to ensure that the seller at least has the goods to be sold.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 806 Posts

I was initially convinced of the "minimum post count to post a sale" suggestion, but the arguments in this thread have convinced me otherwise.

Consider how this real life example proves this rule to be futile: a person joins FPN in 2011 and for two years has only 7 posts to his name. Suddenly in less than 30 minutes he posts 23 times saying "Thanks for the review" in each and every thread dealing with Lamy 2000 reviews. Minutes later, and having racked up the requisite 30 posts, he posts his own Lamy 2000 for sale...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

antirealist (November 20th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ondina View Post
    I'm one of those who reads but does not (almost) post.
    Too many rules among other issues is what has driven many out of FPN.
    Nor participating nor selling guaranties nothing. Many of us will remember, for instance, Docnib/Nursenib?.
    I've haven't posted anything for sale here yet, but I'm doing so right now.
    Jde, I wish I had the same virtue you do so often show; stating big truths with a calm, soft way that offends no one and teaches many of us how thnigs should be done. Thank you for it.
    What a super kind thing to say. Thank you, Ondina, you made my evening. *Sorry all to hijack this thread momentarily*

Also: really appreciating dannzeman's moderation and input in this thread (well, not just this thread, ay?). Well done, Dan, thanks!
    ...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August
    ...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

That is the beauty really, we have a say and a voice without fearing sudden and fatal censorship. Thanks Dan.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (November 23rd, 2013), hamag (November 29th, 2013), jde (November 23rd, 2013), Robert (November 23rd, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jde View Post
    Also: really appreciating dannzeman's moderation and input in this thread (well, not just this thread, ay?). Well done, Dan, thanks!
    So true. A spot on reminder. Thank you, Dan. Moderation makes all the difference.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ondina View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jde View Post
    True indeed, thank you for all your effort Dan!! A good moderation can make or break a forum and in this case Dan is steering this boat to a safe harbor. Thank you for that!

Thanks

This may be off topic. Speaking as a newbie to FPGeeks, I had been viewing videos and reading posts for some months before I signed up. The reason I signed up was the sense of openness, helpfulness, and a sense of trust. I think this would go after a while should a pay to play type thing be implemented, even though I have no plans to buy/sell at the moment. I think I am sensible enough to choose who I would buy/sell from, and like Dan said, if you feel you don't trust a seller, you do have a choice. Sorry for rambling, it's just my thoughts.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Bud For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (December 27th, 2013)

Thanks

My instinct says that:

- a fake seller would be found very quickly and people would hear (see the adventure pinned at the top of the Fountain Pen Board)

- counting posts would mean added work for the admins, as several others have noted, and would block some great (and trustworthy) sellers failing to catch unscrupulous sellers.

As others have mentioned, I distrust the idea of having splitting sellers into professional sellers and amateur, or one-off, sellers. It seems a short slide to charging for professional seller status...and giving the professional seller prominent "eye-and-mind" space.