Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Four-way shoot out: a review of mini fountain pens

Thanks

Post Four-way shoot out: a review of mini fountain pens

[Warning: Long review ahead. For quick summary, jump straight to the next post below. ]

I recently acquired my first Pelikan – Souveran M320 Ruby. It’s so cute, tiny and precious, to call it a ladies’ pen would be an understatement.

As I already have three other pocket size/mini fountain pens in my humble collection, including the arch nemesis of the baby Pelikan – Montblanc Mozart, I thought it’s time to do a comparison and see which one reigns supreme in my little Junior bantamweight division.
    P1000811.JPG

INTRODUCTION

Candidate No.1 – The Düller fountain pen, designed by former Braun designer Dietrich Lubs in collaboration with Naori Miyazaki of IDEA, combines the best of German minimalism and Japanese craft. Although it is a lesser known member of the team, it has some respectable credentials.

P1000812.JPG

The cap, barrel and section are all made of high quality aluminium in a minimalist matte black finish with attractive bands of emerald green. The fit and finish is flawless and the cap snaps shut with a satisfying click. Its Schmidt nib is one of the smoothest steel nibs I have used. The writing comfort level of this Fine nib rivals many gold nibs and broad steel nibs. The pen comes embedded in a hard covered notebook (similar to the new TWSBI Micarta).

Its immediate competitors would be Kaweco Lilliput and A.G. Spalding Mini, but IMHO, this one is superior. Its push on/pull off cap is secure and much quicker to operate than Lilliput. It also has a very simple but solid and functional clip. Against the A.G. Spalding, this one is so much cooler looking.

Even though this is the least expensive/famous review candidate today and the only one that carries a steel nib, it has some stealthy qualities that shouldn’t be underestimated.

Candidate No. 2 – the baby Pelikan

P1000813.JPG

It’s got gold trim on a ruby-like translucent body. This pen is surely the prettiest and cutest darling of the team. Not even half the size of M800 and M1000, but this miniature beauty has got pretty much everything its big siblings have, inside and out. The quality of its nib is so high that many consider it to be on par with the nib of an M1000.

Candidate No. 3 – the Montblanc Meisterstuck Mozart 114

P1000815.JPG

Although tiny even among mini pens, this Montblanc actually carries a good weight. Its “precious resin” is applied over a brass body, which makes it feel centred in the hand. The taller, skinny brother Meisterstuck 144, for example, sometimes feels more flimsy in comparison.

Candidate No. 4 – Parker Duofold Mini in Green/Olive checks (1st quarter of 2006)

P1000816.JPG

About the size of a TWSBI Diamond Mini, this pen isn’t very mini at all when lying next to the other three candidates. However, its miniature in moderation makes it a lot more comfortable for longer writing sessions. Its many shining qualities and small disappointments will be discussed in detail below.

Without further ado, let the shootout begin!

SIZE & WEIGHT

P1000803.JPG

This picture, using a 50 cents AUD coin as a size reference is for my fellow Aussie geeks (I’m thinking of you Mr Bogon ). The following pics use a Lamy Safari as a size reference.

P1000802.JPG

As shown here, when capped the lengths of the pens ascend in the order of 1, 2, 3 & 4.

When writing with the cap posted, the ascending order is 3, 2, 1 & 4.

P1000804.JPG

It should be noted that Duller is the shortest when capped and one of the longest posted, whereas Montblanc Mozart’s size didn’t change a great deal.

P1000805.JPG

Comparing to an unposted Safari, which is a comfortable size for most hands, with the exception of Mozart, everyone else is at least on par, if not longer when posted.

But do we dare to write with our mini pens unposted?
    P1000817.JPG

I would say that candidates 1, 2 and 3 will feel inadequate except in the smallest of adult hands. Parker, however, can still be used comfortably by small and medium (my) hands. Its girth helps too.

Weight-wise, the ascending order goes like this: 2, 1, 3, 4. Though the numbers appear pretty close, especially 1 vs 2, and 3 vs 4, in hand, the differences are more pronounced:

1. Duller feels light, but comfortable (metal density helps);
    2. Pelikan feels too light and delicate, I’m afraid to use it sometimes;
    3. MB feels nicely weighted and centred;
    4. Duofold feels evenly weighted and solid, posted or not.

STYLE, FIT & FINISH

1. The very modern and minimalist looking Duller is all about form follows function. Its fit is fantastic. Being the only push on/pull off cap among the four, the cap stays on tight with a satisfying click. When capped or posted, the barrel and cap is entirely flush. The only problem is the coating’s longevity. After some extensive use, the black paint is showing signs of wear, the gold plating on the nib (around the slit) is somehow worn/washed off by a green ink I once left in it for a few weeks. However, being all metal, this pen may get wounded over the years, but will not die easily!

2. M320 Ruby is the most beautiful of the four. Its fit and finish is flawless. The aesthetic pleasure it gives is exceptional. However, the acrylic material is very thin. I couldn’t help worrying about its fragility. It needs to be protected at all times. The cap screws on/off with ¾ of a turn. I’m afraid to post the cap too deeply (please don’t crack ), but it’s too tiny to write unposted.

3. The MB Mozart is all about class – classic cigar/torpedo shape and classic black/gold combo. You can’t go wrong with this style; it exudes elegance and quiet luxury. The white star emblem adds the finishing touch. The fit and finish is perfect. The cap crews on and off with a quick turn (just over 180 degrees). The gold plated metal threads on the pen are situated near the beginning of the section and near the tail of the barrel, which leave a flush section-to-barrel transition to maximise writing comfort. The attention to detail makes this miniature pen a true masterpiece.

4. The Duofold Mini’s acrylic body is not only beautiful, semi translucent and complex, it’s also very sturdy. It feels secure and solid. The black finials and section complement the olive check nicely. It’s olive under daylight, but becomes more emerald green under florescent light. Despite its flat top, it looks soft and gentle. However, nothing yields with this pen, not even the 18K nib, which is a silky smooth NAIL. Top notch fit and finish.

FILLING MECHANISM

1. Duller – international short cartridge, Kaweco mini converter. 6/10.
    2. M320 Ruby – probably the smallest piston filler currently in production and one of great quality. The translucent body allows easy inspection of ink level. Given its small size, ink capacity is moderate. 9/10
    3. Mozart – MB cartridge and selected international short cartridge (those that don’t have a ridge near the neck). No known compatible converter. 4/10
    4. Duofold Mini – Parker Mini cartridge only. No converter PERIOD. I’m using a syringe to refill the cartridge. 2/10

Now, the best part ...
    Last edited by kaisnowbird; October 26th, 2013 at 06:00 AM.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to kaisnowbird For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Bogon07 (October 31st, 2013), drgoretex (October 28th, 2013), earthdawn (October 26th, 2013), everybodylovesbacon (November 24th, 2013), Flounder (January 5th, 2014), fountainpenkid (October 26th, 2013), heath (October 26th, 2013), jackokun (February 21st, 2016), Mesu (November 14th, 2013), Potter (October 28th, 2013), Roefisher (November 27th, 2013), VertOlive (December 2nd, 2013)

Thanks

Default Four-way shoot out: a review of mini fountain pens (continues)

NIBS & WRITING EXPERIENCE

Duller

P1000806.JPG

Buttery smooth Schmidt F nib, standard European fine lines. The nib doesn’t feel hard, but do not expect line variations. Great flow. Wetness: 5/10.

Pull out nib and feed. Easy to clean and maintain.

Writing comfort: 6/10 – nice nib, but the barrel and section are a bit too thin for me.

Pelikan M320

P1000807.JPG

Very high quality 14K gold two-tone nib. Medium on the broader side. Feels soft and springy as if it’s slightly cushioned. Sheer writing pleasure! The nib has a very slight baby’s bottom issue though. As I’m not going to use it to write pages and pages of notes, it doesn’t bother me that much. Beautiful flow. Wetness: 7/10.

PS. Note the writing sample’s last line, written with the nib flipped upside down. It’s like a fine stub nib, still quite smooth. Wetness reduced to 4/10. No more baby’s bottom.

Screw in/out nib and feed.

Writing comfort: 7/10 – great nib, but the section is dangerously thin and the pen is too light for me.

Montblanc Meisterstuck Mozart

P1000808.JPG
    (The last sentence pictured above meant to say that the pen wrote all these words with a single shallow dip. Good feed!)

This nib SINGS. It’s a firm 14K gold nib that is wet and smooth. There is feedback, like running your fingers over smooth but unvarnished timber surface. It’s a pleasant kind of feedback. Line variation is minimal. Amazing flow. Wetness: 8/10.

Special tools required to remove nib and feed. Still, it’s easy to flush and clean the pen.

Writing comfort: 7.5. Its section/barrel, being slightly wider than candidates 1 & 2, is more comfortable to use, but the pen, even with the cap posted, is a bit small for longer writing sessions.

Parker Duofold Mini

P1000810.JPG
    (The PR Ebony Green inside the pen has been diluted. It’s usually a lot darker. The white balance isn't right, which makes the green a little blue-ish.)

Probably the hardest nib I have – harder than most steel nibs. This 18K two-tone handsome nib is super reliable though. Wetness: 6/10.

When writing with it upside down, it becomes an extra-fine nib. Wetness reduced to 4/10.

Haven’t tried to remove the nib and feed yet. Didn’t want to force things.

Writing comfort: 9/10. The hard nib is not everyone’s cup of tea, but if you don’t mind it, this pen is very comfortable to use. The cap doesn’t post extremely securely, but I can use it unposted. The posting doesn’t affect the balance much either.

I could use this for long writing sessions. Well, as long as the mini cartridge lasts me.

FINAL COMMENTS

Each of these pens goes into my daily rotation. From the most frequent to the least, I would say it’s 1, 3, 4, 2.

I carry Duller around because it can take abuse (from coins, mobile phone, keys and wallet in my pocket). I only use it to write down quick notes (a few words only) or sign a credit card receipt.

I can take the Mozart to a meeting and write short notes (usually less than a page). It’s elegant and cute. When the meeting gets boring, I can admire my pen to prevent myself from falling asleep.

Duofold Mini gets inked a little less often due to its proprietary cartridge system.

Pelikan M320 Ruby is too delicate (at least judging by appearance) to go out often.

I hope the above is useful and please excuse my poor pictures (no time to Photoshop ). Let me know if you are curious about any other aspects of the pens. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by kaisnowbird; December 3rd, 2013 at 05:29 AM.
    Kai

4. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to kaisnowbird For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

AndyT (October 26th, 2013), antirealist (October 26th, 2013), auto winder (October 26th, 2013), Bogon07 (October 31st, 2013), everybodylovesbacon (November 24th, 2013), Flounder (January 5th, 2014), Goldfish (October 26th, 2013), heath (October 26th, 2013), jackokun (February 21st, 2016), jacksterp (October 26th, 2013), Jeph (October 26th, 2013), Potter (October 28th, 2013), reprieve (October 26th, 2013), Roefisher (November 27th, 2013), Sailor Kenshin (October 29th, 2013), Scrib (January 9th, 2014), subramaniyam (October 29th, 2013), Tony Rex (October 26th, 2013)

Thanks

Default Re: Four-way shoot out: a review of mini fountain pens

Many thanks for that, Kai. I've particularly enjoyed your pictures of the Pelikan: it's so pretty.

Thanks

Great effort. Thanks Kai. Did you use plain ol Reflex paper?

Thanks

Yep, it's plain Reflex, 90 gsm. A tad heavier than usual. They are my day-to-day doodling stock.
    Kai

Thanks

I like the matte finish and size on the 1st one. I may try and make one similar to it and to number 4.
    Expect the glass to break---------------And accept it.

You’ll have peace of mind. And that, my friends, is a welcome surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Interesting. I did a review of four other mini pens but for the life of me I can't find it. I looked at the Sheaffer Tucky, YoL Pocket, Waterman 52½V and the Montblanc Boèhme.

Thanks

Thanks for the very detailed review, the Ruby Pel is very pretty and the ink matches nicely. I love my orange M320 :-)

Thanks

Thanks for doing such a detailed review but damn you for showing me the Pelikan M320! It would be a perfect pocket pen and 14k nib, piston filler in a pretty package...my wallet might get even lighter.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

This is great, thank you.

I think Pelikan's M600 Ruby looks a bit like the M320, for those who want a non-mini.

Thanks

What a delightful, thorough and inspiring review! I'll bet you have created pen lust in many besides myself.

Thanks again!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jacksterp For This Useful Post:

kaisnowbird (October 26th, 2013)

Thanks

Great review. I only have one of these pens-The Mozart and I agree with almost everything you have said about it. I have used it for longer writing sessions with no problems and find it most comfortable when posted. I have the platinum finished version and am constantly surprised about how good a pen this is. It not only writes very well but looks great as well.

Thanks again for the review I might have to try a couple of those.

Thanks

Great Review!

Thanks

Excellent review and I only own a Mozart but love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

Thank you all for the encouraging comments.

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Interesting. I did a review of four other mini pens but for the life of me I can't find it. I looked at the Sheaffer Tucky, YoL Pocket, Waterman 52½V and the Montblanc Boèhme.
    Oh Jar, if you manage to track it down, please do share it. I'm interested in all of them, especially the... uhmmm... damn it, all of them!!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    This is great, thank you.

I think Pelikan's M600 Ruby looks a bit like the M320, for those who want a non-mini.
    Thank you Laura for mentioning the M600 Ruby. It not only has very similar material (pehaps a little brighter?), is bigger in size and ink capacity, it also comes with the new style tassie. The only problem is I couldn't find one available at a price I could afford.

Quote Originally Posted by orfew View Post
    Great review. I only have one of these pens-The Mozart and I agree with almost everything you have said about it. I have used it for longer writing sessions with no problems and find it most comfortable when posted. I have the platinum finished version and am constantly surprised about how good a pen this is. It not only writes very well but looks great as well.

Thanks again for the review I might have to try a couple of those.
    Thanks Orfew. I think I would've enjoyed the platinum version even more. I should add to my wish list a platinum MB. Hopefully this Christmas I'll save on gifts, holiday and food and seriously expand my pen budget.
    Kai

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Very nice review. I'm especially interested in the Duller (sorry, don't know how to make an umlaute (Sp?) on the iPad.)
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

GREAT review and outstanding pictures!

I really like that Düller, very interesting and sleek design. Never even heard of the brand before.

Also, using the Safari at the end to show size comparison really helped a lot. I did not realize how small all those pens really were till you did the group shot.

I enjoyed that review a lot and appreciate you taking the time to write it up and share it with us.

PS.. with this group I don't think you need to warn us about a long review as we all LOVE the long reviews!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

kaisnowbird (October 27th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Very nice review. I'm especially interested in the Duller (sorry, don't know how to make an umlaute (Sp?) on the iPad.)
    Hold your finger on u and options will pop up;-)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    LOL.. I didnt either so I copied and pasted

Thanks

ü Well, come to FPGeeks to read about pens and learn something new about the keyboard! What a great place to hang out!!!

ñ as in Cañon City, Colorado!

Oh, and great job on the review. Loved the pictures
    Last edited by countrydirt; October 27th, 2013 at 08:49 AM.