Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reviewers United

Thanks

Default Re: Reviewers United

Quote Originally Posted by I like mango pudding View Post
    wow. I have to see your videos now. I didn't even know you existed till I clicked on this thread. I have a lot of watching to do.
    WHAT ? You have not been watching ? Yes you have a lot of catching up to do, go for it...

Thanks

Just subscribed to your youtube channel.

Keep up the good work, never mind the critics!

Kind regards,

Jos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blastmaster1972 View Post
    Just subscribed to your youtube channel.

Keep up the good work, never mind the critics!

Kind regards,

Jos
    Hi Jos...Thank you for comments. Fortunately i do not have a problem with the critics, its just unfortunate that other people that enjoy my videos are not allowed to watch them.

Thanks

As far as I'm concerned, both Mr Brown and yourself are admirably upfront in your videos about being given free pens (eg in the recent Kaweco reviews by SBREBrown), having pens for sale, and so on. As long as it's all disclosed I have no problem with it.

I'm sure we could all get picky about the reviews, but they're an incredibly useful resource for us all. I've derived huge benefit from your repair videos. Seeing the writing sample is always instructive - is a pen scratchy or smooth? And I like to see the different small details and angles that you highlight. Above all I love your and Mr Brown's videos because they are personal opinions - I don't always agree, but hey, you are not just repeating a pen manufacturer's press release!

I know reviewing is a thankless task having done a fair bit in my time, but we do notice you are there and we do appreciate it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

kaisnowbird (November 19th, 2013)

Thanks

To Steph, Dr Brown and all the pen reviewers, keep up the fantastic work!!

Steph, when you show us a pen that's available for sale, the value of your video goes far beyond just an advertisement. I've often used them as a visual reference. Besides, they are just fun to watch.

Those critics and censorship enforcers are probably just a bunch of ungrateful, jealous, power-hungry prudes. If they don't want to watch these great reviews, there are plenty of ballpoints out there perfectly useful for poking one's eyes out.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

I'm very curious what this thread is all about. Since I do review pens but never review pens I have not bought myself I'm curious about what we reviewers might need to unite about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, both Mr Brown and yourself are admirably upfront in your videos about being given free pens (eg in the recent Kaweco reviews by SBREBrown), having pens for sale, and so on. As long as it's all disclosed I have no problem with it.

I'm sure we could all get picky about the reviews, but they're an incredibly useful resource for us all. I've derived huge benefit from your repair videos. Seeing the writing sample is always instructive - is a pen scratchy or smooth? And I like to see the different small details and angles that you highlight. Above all I love your and Mr Brown's videos because they are personal opinions - I don't always agree, but hey, you are not just repeating a pen manufacturer's press release!

I know reviewing is a thankless task having done a fair bit in my time, but we do notice you are there and we do appreciate it!
    Hi...Thank you for your kind comments and for watching. Its appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaisnowbird View Post
    To Steph, Dr Brown and all the pen reviewers, keep up the fantastic work!!

Steph, when you show us a pen that's available for sale, the value of your video goes far beyond just an advertisement. I've often used them as a visual reference. Besides, they are just fun to watch.

Those critics and censorship enforcers are probably just a bunch of ungrateful, jealous, power-hungry prudes. If they don't want to watch these great reviews, there are plenty of ballpoints out there perfectly useful for poking one's eyes out.
    Thank you. Yes they are there for reference purposes and to try and help and of course the main point you mention THEY ARE FUN.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    I'm very curious what this thread is all about. Since I do review pens but never review pens I have not bought myself I'm curious about what we reviewers might need to unite about.
    Hi Jar...The vast majority of pens i review are my own and pens i have also purchased or traded etc. But does it matter if the pens are bought or not ? As long as viewers can see a selection of all kinds of pens by different manufacturers close up and that they enjoy them. There is no need to be curious and to unite is not compulsory, as long as you enjoy doing your reviews thats great. Keep on reviewing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grandmia View Post
    Hi Jar...The vast majority of pens i review are my own and pens i have also purchased or traded etc. But does it matter if the pens are bought or not ? As long as viewers can see a selection of all kinds of pens by different manufacturers close up and that they enjoy them. There is no need to be curious and to unite is not compulsory, as long as you enjoy doing your reviews thats great. Keep on reviewing.
    But what is the purpose of uniting? What reason might there be to unite?

Thanks

The original post in this thread was in support of SBRE Brown's video On Reviews

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pencils+pens View Post
    The original post in this thread was in support of SBRE Brown's video On Reviews
    But many of us don't waste time watching videos and so I am left as clueless of the point as I was before. If someone is going to post a video would it not be wise to at least summarize what the video covers?

For example I now know that supposedly the video in the op was related to some other video but guess what, I still have no idea why those of us who review things should unite?
    Last edited by jar; November 21st, 2013 at 07:02 AM.

Thanks

I want to thank Stef and Stephen for their reiviews and generally good information about pens and their maintence. Because of your reviews I have embrace my pen muse and have followed its calling.
    Reviewing is an interesting way to share and receive information. Bias is part human nature and we all have some oppinion about what we like or don't like. We have free will so we can choose to agree or disagree... watch or not watch... Unfortunately, in the age of information some people think it is some how okay to attack the messenger/reviewer for their service if they disagree or have some other axe to grind about a pen or such. Pooh on them...

I hope you all keep doing your reviews and that you know you are loved for the work you do!! To be "united" to the cause of keeping the pen community safe and informative is worth it.

Thanks

But many of us don't waste time watching videos and so I am left as clueless of the point as I was before. If someone is going to post a video would it not be wise to at least summarize what the video covers?

For example I now know that supposedly the video in the op was related to some other video but guess what, I still have no idea why those of us who review things should unite?
    Hi Jar...Maybe if you watched the videos you would not be clueless ? If you enjoy fountain pens then how can it be a waste time to watch a video on a beautiful fountain pen in close up and with a little information thrown in ? Thats the beauty of technology we can now share our lovely pens with others that also share our passion for pens. Why not take a look you may enjoy them....

16. The Following User Says Thank You to grandmia For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (November 21st, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grandmia View Post

Hi Jar...Maybe if you watched the videos you would not be clueless ? If you enjoy fountain pens then how can it be a waste time to watch a video on a beautiful fountain pen in close up and with a little information thrown in ? Thats the beauty of technology we can now share our lovely pens with others that also share our passion for pens. Why not take a look you may enjoy them....
    Because I read much faster than a video can present data and I control order and duration in a written review. I have nothing against people using video as long as they understand it carries no value or information for many folk.

Thanks

Default Reviewers United

I will summarize the videos before this thread goes somewhere silly. (You smell! No, *you* smell!)

Doc brown has received some criticism for bias in his reviews, with some people basically accusing him of having a quid pro quo relationship with pen companies. He came out with a video defending himself. Gandmia then came out with a video supporting Stephen.

Incidentally, I, too, find I prefer text and photograph reviews. I also find videos slow and frustrating... I find myself thinking: get on with it!

The only pen videos I watch are the ones that aren't about pens so much as about the people.

I should say for my taste, Dan seems to have found the sweet spot for video pacing in his reviews. But I still prefer the good old fashioned awesome review. Gosh, remember when the awesome reviews were the new thing? Now I'm calling them old fashioned...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snedwos For This Useful Post:

kaisnowbird (November 22nd, 2013), Tony Rex (November 21st, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snedwos View Post
    I will summarize the videos before this thread goes somewhere silly. (You smell! No, *you* smell!)

Doc brown has received some criticism for bias in his reviews, with some people basically accusing him of having a quid pro quo relationship with pen companies. He came out with a video defending himself. Gandmia then came out with a video supporting Stephen.

Incidentally, I, too, find I prefer text and photograph reviews. I also find videos slow and frustrating... I find myself thinking: get on with it!

The only pen videos I watch are the ones that aren't about pens so much as about the people.

I should say for my taste, Dan seems to have found the sweet spot for video pacing in his reviews. But I still prefer the good old fashioned awesome review. Gosh, remember when the awesome reviews were the new thing? Now I'm calling them old fashioned...

Now see how easy that was?

Thank you.

Now that I know what the topic was about I guess I'm no closer to knowing why we should unite. People do reviews. Some folk do reviews as a profession.

But it's fountain pens folk, just fountain pens. If someone is getting perks to say nice things about a product, it's still just fountain pens.

I can't imagine anyone being swayed to buy an object based on what any of us say and even if that were true; it's just fountain pens folk.

Come on!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

picautomaton (November 21st, 2013), Tony Rex (November 21st, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snedwos View Post

Now see how easy that was?

Thank you.

Now that I know what the topic was about I guess I'm no closer to knowing why we should unite. People do reviews. Some folk do reviews as a profession.

But it's fountain pens folk, just fountain pens. If someone is getting perks to say nice things about a product, it's still just fountain pens.

I can't imagine anyone being swayed to buy an object based on what any of us say and even if that were true; it's just fountain pens folk.

Come on!
    Hi Jar
    That is precisely my own sentiment in the video, who cares. Its all a bit of fun...Glad you agree. Cancel the unite bit.
    Thank you for your comments.

Thanks

Wow, just a few weeks without broadband & you sure miss a lot. Looks like I've some catching up to do.
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review