Thread: Nib grind: Jinhao 159 stubbed.

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Nib grind: Jinhao 159 stubbed.

I got this Jinhao 159 several months ago and only dipped it to test it out. I never really inked it till now. I decided to grind it and stubbed it to an approximate .9mm stub. It should be equivalent to a B stub.

Here is my preliminary grind. I still need to finish it off with polishing and 3000 grit paper. I have that on the way in the mail. I couldn't wait for it. Needed something to do over the weekend. There's a lot of nib creep on it because I was wet sanding it.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to I like mango pudding For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (November 3rd, 2013), cwent2 (November 2nd, 2013), earthdawn (November 3rd, 2013), KrazyIvan (November 2nd, 2013), penultress (November 3rd, 2013)

Thanks

Default Re: Nib grind: Jinhao 159 stubbed.

Looks like a first class job from here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Nice job!
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Very nice job!
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Looks real nice! I might give that a shot on mine if I cant fix the hard starts.

What did you use to grind it down?

Thanks

Is there any tipping left? it looks like its all gone.

Thanks

Nice job, classy handwriting too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

looks great. I also dig the handwriting.

Jack

May I ask, what is nib creep? I am imagining the nib walking down the road on its own! I am sure this cannot be right.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    May I ask, what is nib creep? I am imagining the nib walking down the road on its own! I am sure this cannot be right.
    Ink on top of the nib = ink weeps out the breather hole onto the top of the nib while writing is called nib creep.
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

thanks all!!

This is my third nib grind. In all my grinds I only use a dremel with an extra fine grit attachment to do the first grind and then a hard rubber attachment that has the feel of something between ebonite and the blue part of the pink pearl erasers that erases ink. That second attachment smooths out the rough first grind. I could have used the buffing wheel after it but I wanted to see how it writes after those two attachments so I switched to hand sanding on wet sandpaper. The grit on the sandpaper is only 400 grit, but I swear it must be finer than that, because I've used 400 grit before and it's not the same. I also used unglazed ceramic to finish off the sanding. The source of the unglazed ceramic was the bottom rim of a ceramic cup. I have some 3000 grit polishing paper that I eventually used, but I am waiting for actual 3000 grit silicon carbide paper. The polishing paper was actually for polishing my watches.

The dremel speed was at it's lowest setting, most likely around 3000 rpm. At first I ground the nib with the entire pen assembly on, but later decided to remove the nib from the section and feed and just held the nib by itself and the feel and control was much better.

The tip was not as even as I expected under a 20x loupe. The iridium was not perfectly mounted, nor was the slit perfectly cut. It didn't even look straight. In order to get the width of line I wanted, I essentially had to grind down past the iridium. I also had to grind the sides of one tine to even them out. Pretty much most of if not all of the iridium is gone. I don't really mind, because the nib will far outlast my writing with it. And besides, it was a $10 pen.

This grind took the longest, well over an hour to get to this preliminary grind. My other two grinds took half the amount of time. Most of it was correcting the uneven tine widths and grinding the offset iridium ball and correcting the paper shredding as I was writing. I suspect I'll fine tune it with the 3000 grit paper to get it just right, but I seem to have found the sweet spot with my writing already. I run my thumb and forefinger over the tip to feel for sharp edges. Compared to my factory stub in my TWSBI mini under a loupe, it is now pretty much the same profile, except this one is a bit more cursive than stubbish.

I've been practising with my handwriting and that is a very quick writing sample. I am still working on it and perfecting it.

My next project will be creating more flex in my flex nib. I've got a few ideas on how to do that. It's on a $4 FPR pen, so no biggie if my ideas don't pan out.
    Last edited by I like mango pudding; November 3rd, 2013 at 03:59 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I like mango pudding For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (November 3rd, 2013), KrazyIvan (November 4th, 2013)

Jack

I did not know it had a name. Thanks.