Thread: Newton Pens, Orange Bands Custom

Thanks

Default Newton Pens, Orange Bands Custom

I've been using this pen pretty continuously for several months now, and it deserves a review! Without Further ado...my custom pen from Newton Pens:

newton1 (800x600).jpg

Shawn Newton is the one-man show that is Newton Pens. He made this pen for me, based on a (rough, rough) sketch I sent to him. I was looking for a pen that was shaped somewhat like a German pen from the 30s with a domed top, but with some aesthetic considerations from Japanese pens, thrown in with some ideas from American vintage pens - specifically, the cool bands on some of the Conklin Enduras. He hit a home run!

newton2 (800x650).jpg

The body is Cumberland ebonite, with orange ebonite bands, and looks shiny and fantastic. I believe he joined the ebonite pieces by threading them and gluing them together, but the joints are seamless.

The pen is roughly the same length as a Duofold Centennial, but is much thicker (so roughly 5.3 inches in length or so, probably .6 inches in diameter. The ebonite construction means the pen feels very light, but I would say it weighs more than my Nakayas - Shawn left the ebonite very thick.

I went with a steel nib - Fine. The nib has the Newton logo on it. I am not sure if Shawn did a grind on this nib, or if he tuned it, but it's exactly how I like my nibs to be! It's finer than most western/European fines I have used, and has the perfect amount of feedback. If I ever did want to change nibs, I believe it's a JoWo nib unit, which should be easy to screw out and swap in another #6 nib.

newton4 (686x800).jpg

It uses international standard cartridges or converters. I still love cool filling systems (fountainbel's bulkfiller is a personal favorite, and I need to review mine soon!), but I think C/C pens have a lot of advantages, especially if you want to switch inks often. There are enough threads on the section to use it as an eyedropper-filled pen, but I didn't think to ask Shawn if the threaded orange ebonite sections might cause leakage.

newton5 (800x485).jpg

This pen makes me smile every time I use it. It has also gotten more comments from people (pen people and non-pen people) than most of my other pens; every time I take it to my local pen shop (Dromgoole's in Houston, TX), it gets plenty of appreciative comments. Shawn was very accomodating and explained a lot of his process, and he does lots of cool stuff for kids in his school (he teaches high school art). If you have a chance to get a Newton, I say go for it!

(Poorly Photographed) Writing Sample:

newton6 (760x800).jpg

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to quinden For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

85AKbN (March 1st, 2014), AndyT (November 4th, 2013), antirealist (November 4th, 2013), dr.grace (November 6th, 2013), earthdawn (November 3rd, 2013), Goldfish (November 4th, 2013), jde (November 4th, 2013), Jeph (November 4th, 2013), kaisnowbird (November 4th, 2013), KrazyIvan (November 4th, 2013), trhall (November 4th, 2013), VertOlive (November 4th, 2013)

Thanks

Default Re: Newton Pens, Orange Bands Custom

A real head-turner for sure. The last photo shows off the material very well.

I'd be proud to have such a winsome specimen.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jacksterp For This Useful Post:

quinden (November 4th, 2013)

Thanks

Yay, Josh! Such a gorgeous, unique pen you have there. No doubt Shawn tuned the nib before he sent it to you. I can't imagine that he wouldn't.

The smiling factor is top rate!
    --Julie
    ...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August
    ...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jde For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jde View Post
    Yay, Josh! Such a gorgeous, unique pen you have there. No doubt Shawn tuned the nib before he sent it to you. I can't imagine that he wouldn't.

The smiling factor is top rate!
    --Julie
    It is indeed I'm glad you posted your Newton on the blog - it gave me the push to do this review, which I had been meaning to do for a while now. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Beautiful pen!
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks so much! This pen was a pleasure to make.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Newton Pens For This Useful Post:

quinden (November 25th, 2013)