Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Nib Grinding

goldiesdad

Great idea about a series of how-to's ... I just got into pen collecting and see this is the next progessive step ...

I too have a bunch of pens I can "play with" ... now to get an order in and begin...

Thanks Ivan ...

Thanks

I use my Fountain pens as much as I can both in writing to Pen-Pals, some as far away as the UK and some here in the USA and I also am working on Grinding / smoothing my nibs. I have a set aside group of practice pens if I need to use those. The problem with dipping in to use those pens is that I find that I typically ruin those pens vs the good pens that I grind / smooth on I don't ruin those ones. As For some reason I am very much more careful with nose ones. I guess that with the practice pens I take more chances on the grinding / smoothing than I would with the other nibs that I don't take chances with.
    Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi # 63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE F/P, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado,Genkai Nakaya Decapodl Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain!, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa Fe Style Custom "51" Made by Ralph Prather - president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

My Dremel came in today. Am I ready to ruin some nibs really, really fast?
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,716 Posts

I heart this thread.

So far I've only used manicure tools, but I got one italic cheapie writing well enough. Maybe I will dare to Dremel one day.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Did you guys see watch_art's videos posted at FPN?

http://youtu.be/GrlFvzBBf6s

and

http://youtu.be/5R6yK9Qf87s

Thanks

Pretty kewl. Thanks for the heads-up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Here is a link to a very good article that goes into detail on the techniques for grinding. I don't know how I never came across it before.

http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/about...udwig-tan.html
    I don't know either---check out post # 27 in your thread here

Another good article (not previously mentioned in this thread ) is the one by Wim G. (wimg on FPN) here:
    http://www.pentrace.net/penbase/Data...cle.asp?id=403
    It's mostly about nib smoothing but there are some good tips on what tools to use for working on nibs....

Thanks

I'm getting old. I think I know what it is. I see these links while on mobile but prefer to read when I'm at my computer then I forget... What was I saying?

Thanks

GUYS GUYS GUYS! I have just ground my first stub! It's not very good, and the pen does write a little worse than it did to start with, but it's really not bad at all.

I recently acquired a Sheaffer No Nonsense pen from my grandfather's desk. It had a twisted tip but still wrote well enough. I have been using it unmodified as an eyedropper for a week or so. No leaks!

This afternoon, while bored, I found some sand paper. (I don't recommend sand paper, by the way). After almost giving up on it (it was tearing the paper in my expensive notebook) I discovered I had finally removed all of the original tipping, but was left with two uneven tines. After a bit of work, and moving onto a nail file, I got a rather nice .9ish(?) italic, which, if held at **juuuust** teh right angle produces some beautiful line variation. Any other angle and it's still liable to shred the page. But for a first attempt on a cheap pen that was already in poor shape, I'm very pleased!

Moral of the story: don't use sandpaper, however fine. Also, buy your own expensive nail files to ruin. Wife's/mother's/fairy godmother's -- best not to use.

Thanks

You need to read the article Maja pointed out I forgot about. It will help quite a bit. I use sand paper but just sparingly not for the full grind. I need to find my dremel bits. Congratulations on your first grind!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    I'm getting old. I think I know what it is. I see these links while on mobile but prefer to read when I'm at my computer then I forget... What was I saying?

Hee hee

@ snedwos: congrats! You've picked the right type of nib to work on for your first effort---a cheap steel nib that is readily available! After the nib grinding/smoothing, make sure that the tines are in proper alignment with each other; if they aren't, just use your fingernails to do so.
    There is a very good YouTube video by Stephen Brown (he of FPGeeks radio guest fame)
    on Nib Smoothing here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5NImdKrE1k

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snedwos View Post
    GUYS GUYS GUYS! I have just ground my first stub! It's not very good, and the pen does write a little worse than it did to start with, but it's really not bad at all.
    I'm sorry, but I have to tell you that this had me laughing until my stomach hurt!

I think it was very smart of you to try out your first grind on a poor nib, instead of trying to make a stub from a perfectly good nib. Through this process, you've learned not only what you should do but what you should not do.

I don't see myself ever grinding a nib. But oh how I would love a Dremel for other fun crafty things!

Thanks

Ohai...

Never occurred to me until recently to use my Dremel. My first 'stub' was done with nail clippers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by melissa59 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have to tell you that this had me laughing until my stomach hurt!

I think it was very smart of you to try out your first grind on a poor nib, instead of trying to make a stub from a perfectly good nib. Through this process, you've learned not only what you should do but what you should not do.

I don't see myself ever grinding a nib. But oh how I would love a Dremel for other fun crafty things!
    Thank you!

I've got used to it now, but it is a heck of a lot wetter, and bleeds even on my fanciest paper In fact, the best performance is on some rather cheapring binder refills I've got, but it deosn't so much ghost as completely haunt the page.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snedwos View Post
    Thank you!

I've got used to it now, but it is a heck of a lot wetter, and bleeds even on my fanciest paper In fact, the best performance is on some rather cheapring binder refills I've got, but it deosn't so much ghost as completely haunt the page.
    Try closing up the tines a little bit to decrease flow.

Thanks

I bought a Levenger True Writer for cheap on eBay and it came with a factory M nib. These are Schmidt nib units, so very easy to source replacements. I decided that an M nib was not good enough and it needed to be slimmed and trimmed a bit. Also, since it is a M nib, line variation is going to be a little bit less pronounced but it is visible.

Before and after writing samples with full resolution scans on my Flickr page (just click the image, then click on the little magnifying glass on the top left):

LevengerTW_BG by IvanRomero, on Flickr

LevengerTW_AG by IvanRomero, on Flickr

Thanks

Vast improvement. I think it looked a little too broad and wet before the grind, I think the thin strokes of the stub make the writing a lot more attractive.