Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Before I get too invested.....

Thanks

Default Re: Before I get too invested.....

I'm not sure that there's an easy answer to the original question. In my case it's a specific set of writing characteristics which interest me, so in effect I've chased the nibs rather than pens as such. In all likelihood many people would regard my favourite writers as bargain basement level items, but I've always regarded them as tools. There is no strong correlation between price and writing performance in my experience, at least as far as vintage pens go.

On the other hand I suspect that it's worth putting more rather than less money into new pen purchases, on the basis that it would be easy to wind up with a large collection of mediocre pens without acquiring any which you really like.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyT For This Useful Post:

lisantica (November 22nd, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevekolt View Post
    Nice to see another BF member here! My best advice is realize that your preferences for particular pens WILL change as you become more familiar with their individual properties as well as how they feel in use, not to mention their scarcity or just plain beauty. Kind of like a knife
    Thank you and hi! I am finding that the journey is half the fun....so my first thoughts about an exquisite one have waned.

Quote Originally Posted by snedwos View Post
    Depending on the ink, trying to wipe the nib clean may be a losing battle...
    I did just buy one bottle of iroshizuku take-sumi. I've read that it is a nice ink.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    I'm not sure that there's an easy answer to the original question. In my case it's a specific set of writing characteristics which interest me, so in effect I've chased the nibs rather than pens as such.
    Are nibs interchangeable? Or just some pens offer the capability to change nibs?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
    Are nibs interchangeable? Or just some pens offer the capability to change nibs?
    Some are, certainly. The fashion for big no.6 nibs means that there are plenty of pens around now which will take them: that's why the Goulet Pen Company brought out their own line for instance.

With vintage pens it's a little more difficult and a lot less advisable unless you're replacing like with like. As an example, the Swan no.1 nibs of which I'm inordinately fond come in quite a variety (well, I haven't come across two the same yet anyway), so if you wanted you could replace a medium full flex with an extra fine semi-flex. Put a Waterman nib in a Swan or vice versa though, assuming you can find one to fit, and you have a Frankenpen with a reduced resale value. That said, I'm currently very much enjoying a Conway Stewart with a Gillott nib, so if it works ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyT For This Useful Post:

lisantica (November 22nd, 2013)

Thanks

As you will have gathered your question has many answers and only 1 which is right - the conslusion that you reach yourself!

Personally, I am a user and collector. I have pens I admire but will never use, others that I find hard to put down. The price bracket is significant across each of the 2 groupings.

You decide what you want to spend. If you want to have your quest based on $1500 pens and can afford it, then good for you. Just be prepared to accept that you will lose a few dollars on the way and potentially will gain some nice pens you wont want to write with.

Again turning to my own experience, like you, I went to shows, I read reviews I stalked prices and constantly monitored the various for sale forums and ebay. I bought what I liked, learned some (occasionally expensive) lessons along the way and ended up with a decent set of pens that I enjoy.

I have now found the pen and nib combo I love most. I am surprised that it is not the oldest, nor most expensive, nor most exotic pen I own. I havent completed my journey, although my pen purchases have declined in volume.

I have enjoyed the whole experience and continue to enjoy it. I only spend what I can afford. I relish using some pens and bask in the ownership of others. My handwriting remains needing to be improved.

Long story short. Buy what you like and whether you like it or not just keep moving forward. There is no light at the end of the tunnel, just a man with a torch bringing more and different new pens, nib options ink colours and papers.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to da vinci For This Useful Post:

bluefeathers (July 20th, 2014), kaisnowbird (November 23rd, 2013), lisantica (November 22nd, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    With vintage pens it's a little more difficult and a lot less advisable unless you're replacing like with like. As an example, the Swan no.1 nibs of which I'm inordinately fond come in quite a variety (well, I haven't come across two the same yet anyway), so if you wanted you could replace a medium full flex with an extra fine semi-flex. Put a Waterman nib in a Swan or vice versa though, assuming you can find one to fit, and you have a Frankenpen with a reduced resale value. That said, I'm currently very much enjoying a Conway Stewart with a Gillott nib, so if it works ...
    Thank you for that information.

Quote Originally Posted by da vinci View Post
    My handwriting remains needing to be improved.
    I totally get that, same here!

*** As an aside, I have since purchased two more pens...then I shall taper off (fingers crossed)....I bought a second-hand Visconti Opera Master Clear Demo and a new Pelikan M600 green.

Thanks

Congratulations on the new acquisitions, especially the Opera Master Clear Demo.
    Pics, please?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaisnowbird View Post
    Congratulations on the new acquisitions, especially the Opera Master Clear Demo.
    Pics, please?
    Opera is inbound and should be here tomorrow.
    Here is the Pelikan M600 I purchased new in Los Angeles yesterday:
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lisantica For This Useful Post:

kaisnowbird (November 26th, 2013), Roefisher (November 26th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Ah, the Pelikan M600 -- an excellent choice. That's my favorite sized Pelikan. And I love the interchangeable nibs. Yours looks like a fine?

You said you bought in Los Angeles, which leads me to believe you went to an actual store. That's really the best way.

Thanks

Those are a couple of excellent choices. Maybe too good, as now it will be hard to find something that you like better.

Edit: Because I fail at English.
    Edit 2: Because I REALLY fail at English.
    Last edited by Jeph; November 26th, 2013 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    Ah, the Pelikan M600 -- an excellent choice. That's my favorite sized Pelikan. And I love the interchangeable nibs. Yours looks like a fine?
    You said you bought in Los Angeles, which leads me to believe you went to an actual store. That's really the best way.
    Yes, fine nib, good eye!
    I've been reading a lot of reviews of late and decided I want to try a Pelikan fountain pen. Though shortly after making that decision I experienced some analysis paralysis. I couldn't figure out which size would be best or which nib.
    Yesterday I went to a store in Los Angeles to have a look and get a sense of which size would suit my hand.
    I decided that the M600 was right for me. I had intended to get a broad nib, but the saleswoman encouraged me to try and write with both a broad nib and a fine nib, so I did. I went with the fine nib. The flow was what I was used to with my medium Pilot VP and Prera (my only other two fountain pens at this time).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeph View Post
    Those are a couple of excellent choices. Maybe too good, as now it will hard to find something that you like better.
    That is good, maybe I won't want more pens. I think I will want more though.

Thanks

Congrats on your new pens! As others have said, excellent choices.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfish View Post
    Congrats on your new pens! As others have said, excellent choices.
    Thank you though I cannot take all the credit for the choices, lots of great information here to read & hopefully make informed decisions.

Thanks

Hey Lisa,

I remember you from another place where you were just starting out as I was finishing up! Your eye for quality was good then and I like what you've went for now too. One of my own favourites is a near match to yours, a Pelikan M600 in Black/Blue with a Fine nib.

I'm only just a few months into my own return to fountain pen writing and all the little side shoots which go with it and have really enjoyed all of it so far. Because it had been maybe thirty years or more since I last used one, I took a couple of months out just to get my fountain pen handwriting back up to scratch and it was probably the best thing I did. While it's still not sweeping smooth calligraphy, my writing is acceptable now and I can relax with that out of the way, except for the styles I am trying to learn, and enjoy the main things like pens, papers & inks.

There's great advice from a wonderfully warm group of people here and, although I don't post much, I have read for hours and hours through various topics learning away and getting all the help and tips I could ever wish for and more.

Enjoy yourself here and all the very best with everything

Mark

Thanks

The Mnandi Queen on the FP forums!

Hi Lisa!

Nice pen, your Pelikan M600. One of these days I'm going to purchase a Pelikan too, just not sure which size yet.

Kind regards,

Jos

Thanks

Hoho, eye candy! I can drool for a while...
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roefisher View Post
    Hey Lisa,
    One of my own favourites is a near match to yours, a Pelikan M600 in Black/Blue with a Fine nib.
    Oh, I gave that blue/black a good look, but ultimately chose the green...to match my eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Blastmaster1972 View Post
    The Mnandi Queen on the FP forums!

Hi Lisa!

Nice pen, your Pelikan M600. One of these days I'm going to purchase a Pelikan too, just not sure which size yet.
    Kind regards,
    Jos
    Hi Jos, thank you for the warm welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by kaisnowbird View Post
    Hoho, eye candy! I can drool for a while...
    I hope to begin drooling tomorrow when I see the Opera in person. The LA store didn't have any Opera's in stock.

Thanks

Okay so I did get a little invested. I'll blame it on the honeymoon stage.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lisantica For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (November 27th, 2013), kaisnowbird (November 27th, 2013), Roefisher (December 1st, 2013), Tracy Lee (November 27th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Holy cow! You've started of with a bunch of great pens ! And one of them is a that Visconti Opera Demo with the swirly blue ribbons (I never had the guts to buy one of those)
    Such a classic Pelikan and a VP. Gleaming white as well.
    Nice range of colours too - perhaps your next one should be red, pink, orange or yellow.

Have you collected any other inks to join your iroshizuku take-sumi ?
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    Have you collected any other inks to join your iroshizuku take-sumi ?
    Now that I have some pens, I want to focus on ink...I still just have the one bottle of take-sumi, but I am seriously looking at Noodler's Apache Sunset as my next ink.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Apache Sunset is a gorgeous shading ink but you may not want to write great swaths of text with it. Maybe you could consider a nice bright blue as well, to act as a contrast to it perhaps Iroshizuku Kon-peki or Noodlers Navajo Turquoise.
    Have fun with all your new pens.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"