Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Before I get too invested.....

Thanks

Default Before I get too invested.....

I'm not new to collecting, just new to fountain pens.

Right at this point, being a newbie to the world of fountain pens, I'm trying to decide if I should save and buy one exquisite pen or try out a variety of makers. Either way it will likely be a strain on the pocketbook.
    As I type this I'm thinking I may enjoy the journey more.....yet I sure would like an exquisite pen. As an aside, I don't even know what an exquisite pen is, though some in the $1500+ range sure are amazing looking.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on this? I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,716 Posts

Default Re: Before I get too invested.....

All I can tell you is what I did, and it suited my personality. I went, 'Ooooo, shiiinyyyyy,' and bought everything I saw that I liked WITHIN a certain price limit. It took me years to figure out what actually suited my quirks best, from the huge number of pens I've owned and handled.

And what I like is: nib (I want one of every kind, lol), comfort, and flow. I need a thickish, lightweight pen with no metal section. Eventually I collected a Sheaffer Legacy and two Waterman Carenes and four Jolly Sailor Pens.

The Carenes and the Legacy seldom come out. I do enjoy the Sailors! But....

What I end up using most are Lamy Safaris and Hero 616s. My personality likes grab-n-go.

And now I own a vintage MB as well! Not a high price, but I am still a little in awe of it.

Hope this helps and good luck.
    Last edited by Sailor Kenshin; November 20th, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

lisantica (November 20th, 2013)

Thanks

There is no right answer to this as it's a subjective topic. Some people think owning a $200+ pen is crazy. I now own almost 100 of them, but I didn't start collecting that way.

My best advice is this: Your price range should match your knowledge not your wallet. Don't go spending $1000 on a pen just because you can. When you understand what a $1000 pen should offer then you can take the plunge.

My personal experience: I started with a 25 cent Parker 51 I bought at a garage sale. I eventually bought another Parker 51 for $30 (I thought that was a lot of money). My last 5 recent purchases set me back a total of about $1500.

If you truly have aspirations to buy $1500+ pens, I would start with the "workhorse" style pens that you will be more inclined to keep. I still have several Parker 51s and Sheaffer Snorkels even though they're much less valuable than the rest of my collection. I never was a big fan of the JinHao (sp?), Hero, or similar pens because they offer no long term value (to me).

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mmahany For This Useful Post:

amk (July 22nd, 2014), Jeph (November 20th, 2013), kaisnowbird (November 22nd, 2013), lisantica (November 20th, 2013), sharmon202 (July 18th, 2014)

Thanks

I sure enjoyed reading your thoughts on this Sailor Kenshin and mmahany.
    I have two fountain pens incoming today that I bought in gently used condition...I just wanted to get a feel for the fountain experience.....being mostly a rollerball G-2 Pilot user for day-to-day.

Thanks

I think that mmahany described it perfectly. I also have over 100 pens, although almost every one of mine are el cheapos. While I now have a pretty good idea of what I like, I still change my mind often. I also have $10 pens that outperform pens worth hundereds of dollars. But they only outperform from MY perspective. Reviews and various comments from other users help you to get an idea, but until you have actually used the pen you do not really know. Taking the plunge too early is a sure way to get disappointed with a purchase.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeph For This Useful Post:

lisantica (November 20th, 2013), mmahany (November 20th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
    I'm not new to collecting, just new to fountain pens.

Right at this point, being a newbie to the world of fountain pens, I'm trying to decide if I should save and buy one exquisite pen or try out a variety of makers. Either way it will likely be a strain on the pocketbook.
    As I type this I'm thinking I may enjoy the journey more.....yet I sure would like an exquisite pen. As an aside, I don't even know what an exquisite pen is, though some in the $1500+ range sure are amazing looking.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on this? I'd sure appreciate it.
    Are you thinking of this as a new avenue of collecting? If so, the best thing to invest in is knowledge. Spend time learning about pens before you buy very many. Decide if you like vintage or modern. Decide what you specifically want to collect. Go to a pen show and talk to experts in that area.

If you are thinking of plunging in at a level that would be "a strain on the pocketbook," then I really wouldn't. It's not necessary. With fountain pens, you can collect within your means. There are a lot of different price points. If you want something to collect at a reasonable price point, then look at reasonable vintage pens like Sheaffers, Esterbrooks, Eversharps or even some Parkers. Become an expert in a niche that's small and relatively affordable. Collect all the colors or styles or nib sizes or filling systems within that area. If you pick something easy to repair, then you can buy cheap junkers and restore them. Plenty of people finance their collections by finding pens, restoring them and selling them on.

If you are a newbie, don't buy anything expensive until you know what you like. Definitely don't buy a $1,500 pen right off. In fact, don't buy any pen based solely on how it looks, unless you don't plan to use it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Do you want to collect, or use fountain pens?

If you want to collect then go ahead and buy something that is hugely expensive and "resellable."

If you want to use pens then you will need to buy some to see what you like. What kind of filing system do you prefer? Bottled ink or carts? What grade of nib, fine, extra fine, italic, broad, medium, extra broad? Do you rotate your pen and need an oblique nib? Do you want a modern pen/nib or an antique one? Do you like to write with a stiff nib or a springy one? Do you want to learn Spencerian and use a flex nib? Do you want to do calligraphy?

That's just the tip of the ice berg. If you want to use your pens, not just "collect" them, then buy some pens. Don't go blowing 2k on a pen you have no idea if you'll like or use. Buy some reasonably priced pens, try things out, find out what you like. Then you can decide, when you've realized what your ideal pen is, if you want to spend a ton on a pen like that. (Though your may find your favorite pens aren't expensive at all.)
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

lisantica (November 20th, 2013), reprieve (November 20th, 2013), Robert (November 20th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

As Tandaina said above ask youself a few questions about what you might want to do with a fountain pen.

Also visit the Goulet Pen Company website and have a look at some of Brian Goulet's reference material to give you a feeling for fountain pen terminology and basics.
    http://www.gouletpens.com/Fountain_o...dge_s/1130.htm

Also leave a little spare in your budget for some paper, notebooks and maybe different inks either bottled or cartridges.

Good luck with your new collection.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogon07 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I would start small, and poke around a bit and expect your interest to change.

Example, I had not thought much about Esterbrook pens. But after I got my first one, at an estate sale for $15, I was hooked by it. Not very expensive, easy to change nibs (screws out), nice assortment of colors. Pair it up with the right nib, and you have a NICE writer.
    So what I am saying is that your interest may change or grow as you gain experience and knowledge.
    And some times this is only from handling a new pen and thinking..."hey this is a neat pen."

It is nice to have a GOOD (expensive) pen.
    But then what you do with it is also personal.
    I do NOT carry an expensive pen, my GOOD stuff are in in my collection, which never leaves the house.
    Where as others would use the GOOD pen.
    Because of that I don't have a great interest in the expensive pens.
    In fact I can count on 1-hand the number of pens I have that I paid over $100 for.
    I have a LOT more of the less expensive pens, and I am happy with what I have.

BUT on the other hand, there is the collector concept of quality over quantity.
    Get a few GOOD pens rather than a bunch of much less expensive pens.

The choice is really yours to make.
    But as was mentioned, learn a LOT before you invest $$$$.

Welcome to the world of fountain pens.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ac12 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I do have a lot of reading to do on this topic.
    I've received such great input from you all, I sincerely appreciate it.
    I am planning on going to the Pen show in Calif. in February, 2014.

Thanks

My second-hand Pilot Prera and Vanishing point arrived today.

I tried to fill the ink on my own, but had to go view some videos on YouTube.
    I ended up using an ink tube that came with the Prera...so I clicked it in and I was good to go.
    I had a few errors in filling up the Vanishing Point because I wasn't dipping the tip far enough into the ink bottle....but ultimately I submerged it down into the breather hole.

I like the writing on both....have to test them some more, but both nice pens no doubt.

What type of cleaning towels do you use? I had ink on my fingers on my desk and it seemed I just kept creating ink. I would try to dry the nib, and it would ooze out ink.

Thanks

I don't want to be patronizing, but I have to check: did you take nib unit completely out of the body to fill the VP? If you did, then kitchen roll should be perfect to wipe excess ink off the nib.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks

No worries snedwos, I'm here to learn. On the VP, I dunked the nib into the bottle and then twisted the tube that has the suction-type rubber so that it pulled up the ink through the nib, hope I did it right.

Thanks

I was wondering if the reason you were getting ink all over the place was because it was pooling inside the grip, if you hadn't completely taken the pen apart to fill it. But you didn't, so it'll be something else.
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks

I was using a napkin to try and dry the ink off of the top of the nib, I possibly was putting too much pressure which made the ink come out in a big 1/2 inch diameter on the napkin. Would that do it, applying pressure on the top of the nip?
    I'm that new to fountain pens.

Thanks

The capillary action combined with absorbent material and pressure could explain it. Not too worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Mags For This Useful Post:

lisantica (November 21st, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    The capillary action combined with absorbent material and pressure could explain it. Not too worry.
    Okay, it's probably just lack of experience on my part. I appreciate your comment.

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm slowly making the transition from trying lots of different cheap pens and saving up for a few more expensive pens. I think this is the way to go because the cheap pens will show you what you like in a pen, and it will also point you toward budgeting for pens you actually like.

Thanks

Nice to see another BF member here! My best advice is realize that your preferences for particular pens WILL change as you become more familiar with their individual properties as well as how they feel in use, not to mention their scarcity or just plain beauty. Kind of like a knife

Thanks

Depending on the ink, trying to wipe the nib clean may be a losing battle...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk