Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pursuit of Seni-Mythical Grail Pens

Thanks

Default Pursuit of Seni-Mythical Grail Pens

I've got a line on one of my long-standing, grail pens finally. I saw one once at the first pen show I went to and was immediately drawn to it, but I considered the price to be ridiculous ($500 firm). In my naïvety, I walked away. Since that time, I've seen photos, done research and developed a completely insane lust for this pen, which means the previous price I walked away from might only be noted in passing. It's been five years, and the deal isn't done (which is why I refuse to identify the pen until it rests in my hot hand).

In my case, thousands were produced of this "limited edition," but I haven't seen one in person since that first pen show.

What is the longest period you have searched for and finally found a grail pen? At some point did price really matter? Will you name the pen(s) you are looking for?

Thanks

Default Re: Pursuit of Seni-Mythical Grail Pens

I waited three years or so to find an Esterbrook Visumaster. It wasn't an issue of waiting to find the right price. I knew what they went for and was willing to pay it. The problem was I just could never find one for sale at all. Then just a couple days ago I found one. And for a great price on top of that...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chad.trent For This Useful Post:

kaisnowbird (December 3rd, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

I have been searching for a Mont Blanc 142 for over a year...I've gotten quite close to buying one...and was planning on finally doing so this year, but I'm going to buy a ukulele and need all funds to go towards the cost of the instrument.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

I've been looking for a 142 with OBB (or OB) nib for about a year as well. But I just bought a horse and need to find a saddle... So all pen buying is on hold for probably the next year.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    I have been searching for a Mont Blanc 142 for over a year...I've gotten quite close to buying one...and was planning on finally doing so this year, but I'm going to buy a ukulele and need all funds to go towards the cost of the instrument.
    Then you can use the ukulele to "busk" for money for the MontBlanc142.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

My "grail" pen was one I never thought I'd be able to get due to the price. I've been collecting since 2005 (roughly) and it was a pen I've wanted shortly after I started collecting, so I guess 7-8 years now. The pen in question is the Graf Von Faber Castell Walden Woods fountain pen. I won't go into a long story of why it was a grail pen for me, but it is/was one since the day I saw it. That said I'll tell you the story of how I came across one.

I had been on collecting binge (yeah...it was an expensive binge) for GFVC classics to complete the line-up. Something about the combination of wood and platinum/sterling silver really intrigues me, plus the craftsmanship of the pens. I knew though for the most part, that while I was able to get most of the classic line of pens at a reasonable (and most I bought for more than reasonable) price the Walden Wood pen would probably continue to elude me as they were always priced in the 500-700 range. Way more than I'd ever spend on one pen.

Well like I said I was making my nightly perusal of eBay to see what I could find and came across what was listed as a very worn out Walden Woods Rollerball pen. The writing was completely gone, the cap was dented, but when comparing pictures to ones on the internet, it definitely was the pen. The seller wanted $175 for it as is, but I've learned to always at least ask, and I offered $150 and he took it. I figured while not a pristine example of the pen, at least I had a semblance of the pen now. I got to thinking though and on a whim e-mailed GFVC customer service to see if they'd be willing to sell me a new barrel for the pen, thinking it was a long shot. They told me no, but suggested I send it in to see if they could do anything that might help. So I got the pen, and the same day it went back out to GFVC for them to look at.

Low and Behold a few days later I got an e-mail from their rep telling me they'd replace the barrel at no cost as long as I was fine that I'd lose the limited edition number etched on the platinum base. Believe me when I tell you I had no issue with that!

So it arrived back home, I replaced the rollerball section with a fountain pen section I had and now I have what is/was my ultimate grail pen for way way less than I would have ever hoped to have bought it for.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to penguinmaster For This Useful Post:

bluefeathers (December 19th, 2013), Bogon07 (December 3rd, 2013), kaisnowbird (December 3rd, 2013), Steph (December 27th, 2013), Tracy Lee (December 3rd, 2013), VertOlive (December 26th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penguinmaster View Post
    My "grail" pen was one I never thought I'd be able to get due to the price. I've been collecting since 2005 (roughly) and it was a pen I've wanted shortly after I started collecting, so I guess 7-8 years now. The pen in question is the Graf Von Faber Castell Walden Woods fountain pen. I won't go into a long story of why it was a grail pen for me, but it is/was one since the day I saw it. That said I'll tell you the story of how I came across one.
    Cool pen and amazing story to go along with it!

Thanks

I'm not in active pursuit, but I still have an eye open for roughly the right Waterman with exactly the right nib. I could have done with it by chucking a heap of money at the "problem", but experience suggests that it's much more satisfying to let good fortune and serendipity play their part - anyway, it's not as if I need another pen right now.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyT For This Useful Post:

pajaro (December 26th, 2013), reprieve (December 3rd, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    I'm not in active pursuit, but I still have an eye open for roughly the right Waterman with exactly the right nib. I could have done with it by chucking a heap of money at the "problem", but experience suggests that it's much more satisfying to let good fortune and serendipity play their part - anyway, it's not as if I need another pen right now.
    Same here, except I'm not very actively looking for a particular Parker 51 for sentimental reasons.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    This is my philosophy as well. I'd love to find that perfect vintage music nib and that perfect stub-nibbed Sheaffer Snorkel, and I'm keeping my eyes open, but I'm not actively looking. Eventually the pens will find me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

If I could ever afford an Omas 360 (old style) I would get one. I am still kicking myself for missing out on an auction where I could have had it for $113 IIRC.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (December 3rd, 2013), Frank (December 3rd, 2013)

Thanks

I suppose the only pen I'm actively searching for is a Montblanc Hemingway. It's not an issue of finding one, but rather finding one at a price I'd consider to be a good deal. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find one to purchase for under $2000.

Thanks

I searched for a Montblanc Masterpiece in Coral red. It took a year or so but I finally found one. It is a no. 25 push knob filler overhauled by Francis from FPN. I love the push knob fillers. all the ease of a button filler with no chance of losing a blind cap.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to orfew For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (December 3rd, 2013), kaisnowbird (December 4th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    I have busked before, when I was younger. If you're young and fearless, people love plopping the cash in. But I don' think the same thing would happen today. I am going to NYC this spring though so I could try, although the ukulele is custom and takes months to build. (and is going to cost over $1000).
    Will

20. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (December 3rd, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    If I could ever afford an Omas 360 (old style) I would get one. I am still kicking myself for missing out on an auction where I could have had it for $113 IIRC.
    Sometimes those old style Omases go for nothing. I see the same thing with the Dama model...some have sold under $100.
    Will

Thanks

I have busked before, when I was younger. If you're young and fearless, people love plopping the cash in. But I don' think the same thing would happen today. I am going to NYC this spring though so I could try, although the ukulele is custom and takes months to build. (and is going to cost over $1000).
    Gosh you will have to be careful with it when you get it.

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain do some very entertaining versions of popular songs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pLgJ7pk0X-s

One of my grail pens is the Visconti Mudejar Art 2007 & the other a Pelikan Cobra

VI152-52.jpg

Thanks

But you never know how high that bidder could have gone to up in such cases. Particularly if you get into a bidding war.

The new translucent triangular body 360s are quite attractive too. Mrs Bogon is checking some out in Florence this week she has already commented on the texture.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogon07 For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (December 4th, 2013), glinn (December 26th, 2013), kaisnowbird (December 4th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

But you never know how high that bidder could have gone to up in such cases. Particularly if you get into a bidding war.

The new translucent triangular body 360s are quite attractive too. Mrs Bogon is checking some out in Florence this week she has already commented on the texture.
    True, but that's what it ended at and I should have upped my bid before going to lunch.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain do some very entertaining versions of popular songs.
    Oh yes, indeed.

Given my location, just up t'road from Haworth, this is my favourite:

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyT For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (December 3rd, 2013), fountainpenkid (December 4th, 2013)

Thanks

Always wanted the Omas 360 Vision Clear Myself!

:-)
    "When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

Owner-
    http://federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)
    (5% Discount for FPG Members! Use Code "FPG" at checkout!)

Follow store/forum at
    Linked-In!
    Like Us on
    Facebook !