Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Pen cases

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 819 Posts

Default Re: Pen cases

Thanks Crazyorange I have not decided on a colour for this case as yet but I am going to be dying a large pen case and a midori style cover soon so it might end up turquoise.
    If you want one just let me know we can discuss options here if you wish.
    I always find pricing items difficult if you have a pen you want to trade that would be fine with me.

Michael

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

We would have to trade money. I only have 5 pens and they are cheap ones. I am waiting for a custom edison pen. I can't carry that in my cheapo pencil case. Any ideas on cost?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyorange View Post
    We would have to trade money. I only have 5 pens and they are cheap ones. I am waiting for a custom edison pen. I can't carry that in my cheapo pencil case. Any ideas on cost?

IMG_6783 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_6784 by my0771, on Flickr

I will get back to you with a price as soon as I can.

Michael

Thanks

Beautiful.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

MY63 (March 6th, 2014)

Thanks

Unfortunately the dye has dried unevenly and it does not look so good at the moment. I spoke to the supplier this afternoon and they suggested I dye the leather before assembly which seems like a good idea.
    I am also a little unsure of the position of the thong as the stitching can give and it may be possible for the thong to pull free in time with use.
    I could resolve this by punching holes in the body of the case or by stitching the thong into place during the sewing process.
    There is also an option to put lugs on the side as in the original but that would just be copying someone else's idea and I prefer to put my own twist on things.
    Another pack of kydex arrived this morning so I might make a few tomorrow I will need to make five or six to get it right I made a blue one with red stitching of my other single case which I really liked so I think that will be first followed by a black with red and I picked up some blue thread today so red with blue is also looking good I should be pretty good at them by then

Crazyorange price wise the other single pen cases sell for £50 the round ones are more work at the moment but I think that is enough for a single pen case anyway let me know what you think.

I know discussing prices is not allowed on fpn but I can't see anything in the rules here if I am wrong please let me know

Thanks for looking

Michael

Thanks

Thanks Michael. With the exchange rate it's a too high. Your work deserves what you are asking. It's the silly economy making the exchange rates terrible.

Thanks

I understand the exchange rate causes problems with yen.
    I am sure we will be able to sort something out.

I have resolved the issues with the blue dye on the single case today I gave it another couple of coats.
    The pen and notebook case I am working on has also had a second round of applications along with two midori style covers for my daughter and her friend.
    Pictures will follow tomorrow.

Thanks

Michael

Thanks

This is my blue case

IMG_6802_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Assembly coming soon

Michael

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (March 9th, 2014)

Thanks

Great color.

Thanks

That case is gorgeous, Michael!

One way to put a cover like that on is to make the cover part with a channel up each side. The you attach the thong to the base however you wish, thread it up through the one channel and down through the other and attach it at the other side. The top can slide up and down on the thong, but the thong is secured at both ends and you can always knot it or whatever to keep it tight.

I think I recall seeing this solution on cases for Medieval tablet cases - that is, for tablets of wood with wax in the recess, the wax being used to write upon, as it was in Roman times. Sort of a 15th century field notes, I guess. (They were actually used for many centuries, and came in many sizes and some were very fancy, some quite plain.)

I did try making myself some tablets. Life interrupted before they needed a case, so I never tried this myself. I think it's usually done with leather formed into a hard shape, but that is more or less what you end up with using the kydex, so I see no reason why it would not work.

T

Thanks

Thanks Crazy orange it was quite a challenge to get the colour to match on different pieces of leather the dye takes differently on different thicknesses and also on leather that has been stretched and worked.

Scrivelry as ever your thoughts are unique and intriguing however for this project you can see two large pieces of leather one is the inside and is quite thin the other is the outer cover and is twice as thick to give the case some strength.
    The pen holders and the notebook holder will be sewn and glued onto the inside piece then the inside piece will be glued and sewn onto the outer piece there will be lines of stitching along the fold lines to encourage the leather to bend.

Thanks

Michael

Thanks

I don't know if I have mentioned this before but one of the challenges of making this type of pen case is that it is designed for large pens and I wanted to be able to put small pens in as well.
    I have experimented with various pen clips and other bits and pieces I came across these they are black velvet I could not make them myself but they were so reasonably priced.

IMG_6830 by my0771, on Flickr

The velvet is meant to be on the outside so I have turned it inside out so the pen sits in the velvet this will allow smaller pens to be carried without them rattling around.

IMG_6832 by my0771, on Flickr

I think these will work with my larger multi pen projects resolving the issue of smaller pens being lost in the large slots.
    If anyone has any feedback or suggestions I would like to hear them,

Thanks

Michael

Thanks

That's a great idea.

Thanks

I have been asked to have another try at the round pen case this one might be Orange !

I have started with the inside this is glove leather very soft.

IMG_6846_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The next step was to soak the leather in cold water to soften it, I then wrapped it around a 20 mm dowel I then wrapped another piece of leather around it and taped it up and allowed it to dry.

IMG_6852_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The next step will be to form a piece of kydex around the dowel and the inner piece of leather more of that later.

Thanks for looking

Michael

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

kia (March 17th, 2014)

Thanks

I had an early start today thanks to Tia barking as you might tell from the pictures it was still dark.

IMG_6859_1 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_6854_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Kydex wrapped around the inner leather piece

IMG_6863_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I have wrapped the outer leather piece around the kydex it is clamped up until dry.

Thanks

This is the outer cover after drying in the clamps

IMG_6867 by my0771, on Flickr

I did not like the line that was created where the kydex ended so I removed the outer cover and sanded the edge of the kydex I have used the mini clamps to highlight the edge to be sewn

IMG_6873_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Michael

Thanks

Looks good. You have a lot of patiences making these cases.

Thanks

I have glued the outer cover in place and decided on the position an shape of the tab for the tie

IMG_6898_1 by my0771, on Flickr

This case will be dyed first and then sewn with contrasting thread I have also marked out the stitches in preparation for sewing

IMG_6894_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I cant make the lid until I have sewn the seam and trimmed the edges as the lid fits over them.

Thanks for looking

Michael

Thanks

I wanted to share this with you all you have seen the red version of the 10 pen case which is also still under construction at this time.
    The owner really wanted black English bridle leather for the outer part of his case I have never used bridle leather before and was keen to get the right product.
    It is not as easy as it sounds to get English bridle leather and it is also very expensive J E Sedgewick are one of the top Tanners in the UK but do not sell to the public I contacted one of their distributors who agreed to treat me as a trade customer and even agreed to give me a small discount.
    So after three weeks of research and emails and a telephone conversation I eventually acquired a hide.

Triple black, black pen slots on black suede inside black English bridle leather

IMG_6907_1 by my0771, on Flickr

My first idea for the straps

IMG_6912_1 by my0771, on Flickr

My second idea more appropriate for a fountain pen case

IMG_6919_1 by my0771, on Flickr

After approval the pair one on top of the other

IMG_6932 by my0771, on Flickr

Took a long time to sew them in place there is still a long way to go

IMG_6957_1 by my0771, on Flickr
    Thanks for looking

Michael
    Last edited by MY63; March 23rd, 2014 at 11:00 AM.

Thanks

That's a great idea to use a fountain pen outline. The leather is beautiful. Case looks outstanding.