Thread: Hello from The Rainbow Nation - Republic of South Africa

Thanks

Default Hello from The Rainbow Nation - Republic of South Africa

Hey

I would like to say high to all fountain pen geeks members. My handle is picautomaton and I have been a fountain pen user for as long as I can remember. The bug caught me as a kid when I rumaged through my pa's stationery and found dip pens - played with those and even bought a blue plastic dip pen with red section (funny how I remember that). Then I got an olive Parker 45 with Medium nib that makes some broad nibs seem frugal. Then Parker Vectors (a few Fine points) and a Sheaffer Caligraphy pen (no nonsense with Medium Italic). Then I got an International Duofold in 91 /92 with medium nib (and baby bottom). Then I splashed out and got a Black Waterman Serenite when it was released (the shape was original).
    Then silence for a long time.
    Then found FPN while browsing the web for information - WOW! a whole new world opened up for my Fountain Pen Passion (and the wallet started crying). Now I have many fountain pens and eagerly await my Micarta TWSBI.
    The fountain pen community seems like a homely place that you can discuss a common passion with intelligent people (only intelligent people use fountain pens the rest say what's that? - heehee).
    I am a fountain pen user / hoarder not a collector.
    In South Africa we have readily available: Pens - - Montblanc, Parker, Sheaffer, Cross, Lamy, Faber Castell, St Dupont, Cartier, some Pelikans (one shop that I know of), Waterman, Retro 51, Inks - - Montblanc (full range), Sheaffer (Blue, black and red old stock), Parker (Blue and Black), Lamy (full range), Cross black.
    The internet is a curse and a help as I can purchase any ink or pen I can afford so no testing of pens just reviews from fellow fountain pens geeks and addicts.

C U in the forums,

picautomaton

Thanks

Welcome! We share your sorrow, I mean passion!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Nice history there picautomation! Welcome to the madness.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Welcome!

What's the vintage pen scene like there? Are they easy to find?

Thanks

Hey. Vintage pen scene is weak though you do find the odd nice one if you persevere. I've bought an Esterbrook J and a Conway Stewart 85. Eyeing a P51, hope it's still there when I have the bucks.