Optimum says domain doesn't exist any more. And that's all I get. O_O
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

Default Re: Banned from FPN?

Wim responded with a status update in the thread that is being ignored.

I'm unclear on what to make of this. I shall ignore it until I decide.

FarmBoy

Thanks

If you do a google search and an FPN link is returned, you can drop down the arrow next to the address and choose to visit a "cached page." It will at least allow you to see most of that thread in case you need to reference something.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sargetalon For This Useful Post:

ThriveToScribe (December 28th, 2013)

Thanks

Well it's reall . . y frustrating that when one finally has the time to linger over the posts and enjoy them, rather than rush through them on a busy day, the site is down. (Moan, groan.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sargetalon View Post
    If you do a google search and an FPN link is returned, you can drop down the arrow next to the address and choose to visit a "cached page." It will at least allow you to see most of that thread in case you need to reference something.
    anyone figure out how to view subsequent pages through the cache?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Optimum says domain doesn't exist any more. And that's all I get. O_O
    Yeah, Firefox said something similar (that the site can't be found). I thought I remembered there being a discussion over here last spring after the hacker attack, so I went ahead and signed up for this forum this morning. Only there seems to be some sort of issue with not being able to get past the first page of topics, so I apparently have something set wrong. Or my version of Firefox is too old....
    Sigh; why is my 2 year old browser functionally nearly obsolete, yet my 1949 Plum 51 and 1946 Silver Pearl Vacumatic work great? And without any sort of repairs or restoration at that....
    Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Thanks

It's so kind of the FPG folks to allow us a bit of space in this regard. Thank you for making it possible for FPNers to have some notion of what is going on.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inkheart For This Useful Post:

kia (December 26th, 2013), ThriveToScribe (December 28th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inkheart View Post
    It's so kind of the FPG folks to allow us a bit of space in this regard. Thank you for making it possible for FPNers to have some notion of what is going on.
    Indeed !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inkstainedruth View Post
    Sigh; why is my 2 year old browser functionally nearly obsolete, yet my 1949 Plum 51 and 1946 Silver Pearl Vacumatic work great? And without any sort of repairs or restoration at that....
    Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth
    Yep, the same reasons why no one will have an iPad as a family heirloom, even if it had been laser engraved.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Senecabud View Post
    Well it's reall . . y frustrating that when one finally has the time to linger over the posts and enjoy them, rather than rush through them on a busy day, the site is down. (Moan, groan.)
    Yes, well I'm sure Wim wants to take a few days off for the winter holiday season too.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chemyst View Post
    Yes, well I'm sure Wim wants to take a few days off for the winter holiday season too.
    Never a better time to have multiple admins sharing a burden. It is the height of absurdity to entrust the running of such a large community to one person, no matter how well-meaning the intent.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Never a better time to have multiple admins sharing a burden. It is the height of absurdity to entrust the running of such a large community to one person, no matter how well-meaning the intent.
    Let us not forget we are not alone, I still moderate the Lamy forum when it is up.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Let us not forget we are not alone, I still moderate the Lamy forum when it is up.
    How could I forget?

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    How could I forget?

Ha... Love Bernadette Peters. I saw her sing this when the show was running & had lunch at the table next to her a few years later down in the Village.

Hows that for changing the topic

Thanks

There are plenty of alternatives without all the issues of the FPN, most of which are caused by Wim. Explore the options and you'll pleasantly surprised by both the quality of posts and a less intrusive Admin/mod control ( Wim is a control freak ), this board is an example of a better set up as is the FPB.

Regards
    Hugh

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 699 Posts

Hadn't noticed any problems with FPN other than the technical ones, but those became overwhelming. I hope they do get them fixed. Right now when I click on my FPN bookmark, I get a search page from my cable provider.

In the mean time, well, I joined FPG at about the same time 3 years ago, and am not sure why I haven't spent more time here. It's encouraging to notice more and more familiar handles, presumably attached to the same people.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

My experience of FPN is of willingness to help, give advice, knowledge, generosity & friendliness. Yes there is disagreement & frustration but that's bound to happen on a board populated by articulate people with strong opinions. Moderation is essential with that mix of personalities. Yes it makes me grumble (loudly!) sometimes. I have made posts myself there that have ruffled some feathers & stretched limits of what's permitted but I joined as a member in the knowledge of that strong moderation, as do most. I appreciate the huge time & effort it takes to maintain such a large forum. I hope its technical problems are resolved very soon.

There is similar knowledge & friendliness available here, although the expertise is more limited due to the logistics of having fewer members/contributors. Traffic is less but quality of postings is very evident. The welcome to FPN-ers seems genuine on the whole & generosity of FPG-ers is heartening.

As a fairly new member here (3 months) I've done a LOT of reading through posts. Whilst understanding the benefits of the vaunted laissez-faire approach to moderation on this board, if I'm honest I have noticed that there is some bitchiness evident here, especially in criticism of FPN, both as a board & of individuals there. More so during its current troubles. I am uncomfortable with that. I never saw criticism on FPN of other boards or forums in the same way. Whether that is because of "suppression" by moderators I don't actually care. Disillusioned ex-FPNers seem to have grudges - it would be a shame if that reflected on this board & skewed potential new members' perceptions.

I have seen boards where there is light-touch moderation implode as more outspoken members start arguing or criticism/negativity takes over. Of course getting the right balance is difficult. People want to express opinions, rightly so. But there does need to be protection from trolling etc.

In the end every board has its own personality & I really appreciate the difference between FPN & FPG. Neither is more right, or better, than the other. No forum is perfect & there's room for more than one. Vive le difference & all that. I would just prefer less overt sniping here about FPN, Wim & others.

This is just my two pennies worth. Apols for twittering on at length. Huge thanks to everyone here for offering a refuge & for help in managing my fountain pen chat withdrawal symptoms.
    Last edited by migo984; December 28th, 2013 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Corrections to typos

20. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

dr.grace (December 28th, 2013), heraclitus682 (December 28th, 2013), kia (December 28th, 2013), Llewellyn (December 28th, 2013), Manny (December 28th, 2013), Mesu (December 28th, 2013), Pterodactylus (December 28th, 2013), Sinistral1 (December 28th, 2013), ThriveToScribe (December 28th, 2013), trhall (December 28th, 2013), Woody (December 28th, 2013)

Thanks

+1 on the appreciation for a respite from pen chat withdrawal symptoms - it's been, like really, really tough, man!

Thanks

You have said absolutely everything I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    My experience of FPN is of willingness to help, give advice, knowledge, generosity & friendliness. Yes there is disagreement & frustration but that's bound to happen on a board populated by articulate people with strong opinions. Moderation is essential with that mix of personalities. Yes it makes me grumble (loudly!) sometimes. I have made posts myself there that have ruffled some feathers & stretched limits of what's permitted but I joined as a member in the knowledge of that strong moderation, as do most. I appreciate the huge time & effort it takes to maintain such a large forum. I hope its technical problems are resolved very soon.

There is similar knowledge & friendliness available here, although the expertise is more limited due to the logistics of having fewer members/contributors. Traffic is less but quality of postings is very evident. The welcome to FPN-ers seems genuine on the whole & generosity of FPG-ers is heartening.

As a fairly new member here (3 months) I've done a LOT of reading through posts. Whilst understanding the benefits of the vaunted laissez-faire approach to moderation on this board, if I'm honest I have noticed that there is some bitchiness evident here, especially in criticism of FPN, both as a board & of individuals there. More so during its current troubles. I am uncomfortable with that. I never saw criticism on FPN of other boards or forums in the same way. Whether that is because of "suppression" by moderators I don't actually care. Disillusioned ex-FPNers seem to have grudges - it would be a shame if that reflected on this board & skewed potential new members' perceptions.

I have seen boards where there is light-touch moderation implode as more outspoken members start arguing or criticism/negativity takes over. Of course getting the right balance is difficult. People want to express opinions, rightly so. But there does need to be protection from trolling etc.

In the end every board has its own personality & I really appreciate the difference between FPN & FPG. Neither is more right, or better, than the other. No forum is perfect & there's room for more than one. Vive le difference & all that. I would just prefer less overt sniping here about FPN, Wim & others.

This is just my two pennies worth. Apols for twittering on at length. Huge thanks to everyone here for offering a refuge & for help in managing my fountain pen chat withdrawal symptoms.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post

Welcome to FPGeeks and thank you for taking the time to make that well written post. I know there are others who feel the same as you and I'll try my best to explain why we do things the way we do here.

The admin's attitude at each forum are fundamentally different. Now, I've not actually asked Wim about this but through my time at FPN and how I've seen things run there, it appears as though members are invited into his house and can only converse according to his rules. Violation of any rule is met with swift moderation and there's no chance of discussing the situation. He also keeps tabs on you when you leave his house. If you do something somewhere outside of FPN that he doesn't like, the door to FPN may not be open to you when you come back.

I do not consider the FPG Forum to be my house. Instead, I view it as a public location for pen geeks to gather and chat. When decisions need to be made about rules and features it is discussed with the community and I implement the changes. Moderation is minimal because I find it to be a very slippery slope that can get to the point where you can't criticize anything. We allow criticism here because I wholeheartedly believe it can lead to improvement. We don't tolerate personal attacks and I'll discuss it with the offending members to let them know it's not welcome here. Further offenses are met with moderation. However, we don't edit or delete posts because of it, unless it's truly vile. We leave it for all to read so you can get a better idea of the character who made the post.

I try to encourage people to converse here the same way they would in person, and react the same way when they read something offensive. For some, that means leaving the community. For others, it means just ignoring the offending individual. Here, it's much easy to ignore them and never seen anything from them again than it is in real life. Yay software!

Normally, I rarely have to make an appearance here to moderate anything except spam. Everyone here does a great job of keeping things civil and working out their differences.

Hopefully, this gives you a little more insight to FPG and you decide to stick around.

24. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

79spitfire (December 29th, 2013), 85AKbN (December 28th, 2013), alc3261 (December 29th, 2013), AltecGreen (December 28th, 2013), AndyT (December 29th, 2013), cwent2 (December 29th, 2013), dr.grace (December 28th, 2013), ethernautrix (December 29th, 2013), George (December 30th, 2013), jacksterp (December 28th, 2013), Jon Szanto (December 28th, 2013), kaisnowbird (December 28th, 2013), kia (December 28th, 2013), migo984 (December 28th, 2013), MY63 (December 28th, 2013), nekosan (December 28th, 2013), pengeezer (January 10th, 2014), piscov (December 29th, 2013), reprieve (December 28th, 2013), shudaizi (December 28th, 2013), tandaina (December 28th, 2013), trhall (December 28th, 2013), vedearduff (December 29th, 2013)