Thread: Looking for some advice on starting a pen company...

Thanks

Default Looking for some advice on starting a pen company...

As the title says, I'm looking for some guidance as I have absolutely no idea where to begin. I have an idea for a multi-pen/pencil combo but no knowledge of how to go about developing and materializing it. Where do I go and what steps do I take? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Looking for some advice on starting a pen company...

Disclaimer: I know nothing about starting or running a pen company. I do have experience in running other companies.

Marketing and manufacturing data is going to be difficult to gather unless someone in the business will be kind enough to assist. Said data would include: number of units sold over time, price per unit, raw material cost, labor and overhead. Things of this nature. The more time spent gathering and refining this info the better!

Pens, especially fountain pens, are a niche market to say the least. How to reach this market is another issue requiring thought. Pricing, value and perceived value will play a large part.

In all likelihood, you are facing a labor of love rather than a true money making opportunity - not to say it couldn't turn into one.

I am firmly of the belief that it is far better to try and to fail. You stand to learn a lot no matter the outcome.

Best of luck,
    Jack

Thanks

Default Re: Looking for some advice on starting a pen company...

Thanks for the feedback Jack!

Getting another person on board to manage the details makes sense. Still I have no idea where I would source materials, get the product manufactured, etc. Though I have an idea, I don't know the first thing about product design. So I need to find someone with skills in this area. I'm honestly lost in the dark here.
    Also, I'm not planning on producing a fountain pen, but something similar to the skilcraft b3 or cross tech3+. They are all in one ballpoint pens and pencil. In other words, just a pen aimed at general use like school or office work. So hopefully I'd reach a broader market.