Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to use fountain pens, and need an excuse.

Thanks

Default I want to use fountain pens, and need an excuse.

I lately fell into this hobby and quickly gained a nice collection of pens in a couple of months. Bought many bottles of ink, mostly blue and blue blacks, and I now try to import greens and browns into my daily routine.

I made a wish for a training so that I could take notes and my wish became true in a couple of days. I took a months worth of notes in a single day and tried many inks and pens. I now write everything down to schedule my day, to make a self discussion on a development topic etc. I'm an electronics engineer so there isn't much I can take notes of at work as they are preferably made on computers to share with others.

I really love to carry a set of pens everywhere I go and keep meeting notes in my notebooks, try to make notes for the day after, but mainly writing "the quick brown fox..." routines everywhere.

I need more excuses to use my pens and inks so I would like to hear your daily FP uses if you please.

Thanks in advance.

Seckin, TR

Thanks

Default Re: I want to use fountain pens, and need an excuse.

Well, at first, I used them for jotting little notes and whatnot, working over the novelty of their (FP) use. It was when I decided that the fountain pen really was my ticket to less hand stress that I decided I would use them exclusively and I got rid of every ballpoint and rollerball pen I had that I could find. This is also when I realized I used pens much more than I'd thought, even though I've always had a "thing" for pens and paper.

Notes and writing at work, editing and approvals, forms and applications, meetings, etc.
    Thermal receipts from stores and restaurants
    Confirmation of data at doctors' offices
    Greeting and Thank You cards
    Task and to do lists
    Classroom notes, phone notes
    Idea lists and shopping lists
    Journals and/or diaries
    Informal sketches and "specs" for things I wanted made (writing boxes, ink boxes, book boxes)
    I'm on the computer a lot, but I jot down notes from sites I visit as well as bookmarking pages
    Planner, I have to have one now for doctor and attorney appointments, and keep it with me for emergency data, prescription notes, documenting problems and meds (I don't like computer calendars and I can't take them with me, I don't have a "smart" phone and I don't use "apps").

Along with all this came the quest for fp friendly papers and pads and cards. I recently ordered 250 wallet cards that I can use as calling cards or note cards or contact cards from Levenger with just my name on them and lines for notes and a graph on the back for whatever for only $30 compared to a minimum of $250 for business cards. The wallet cards should be fp friendly, I hope. It's a bit better of a gamble at $30 vs $250, and in a format I'd been contemplating anyway. Once in a great while, I still wish for a pencil or ballpoint with particular paper (glossy or multiform, etc.) but with the right inks, I've been doing rather well. The only pens I left at my desk at work that were not fp were strictly for letting other people "borrow."

It took time to get used to it all, but the decision to go to fountain pens exclusively was the right one for me.
    Last edited by kia; January 4th, 2014 at 11:22 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kia For This Useful Post:

kokopelli (January 4th, 2014)

Thanks

Wow, great reply, Kia. Thank you for that. These are good examples. Let them coming.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,090 Times in 4,026 Posts

I just have them all at my desk, and use them anytime I can write, which is mainly notes to myself about things upcoming, to do, etc. I've never been a dedicated journaling person, both in terms of regularity and - frankly - I don't have much to say to/about myself.

However, the one thing I try to do, to use these wonderful instruments, is to write cards or letters to friends. I somewhat regularly ask myself who I haven't talked to in a while, or contacted, and instead of picking up the phone, I write a letter. I get to enjoy my pens and inks, and with only a delay of a day or two, my friends hear from me, uni-directional though it is. Often, I'll get a phone call shortly thereafter. These days, so few people actually write anymore that the receipt of the letter is a bit special, and in that instance, more than fills my desire for the pen to have a unique and meaningful place in my life, rather than just being utilitarian.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

kokopelli (January 5th, 2014)

Thanks

Start a pen (or other blog). I write all my drafts out with a fountain pen then type them in. Takes longer I suppose.

Kia's list is great. Most of my writing is taking notes when I sit at the computer either at work at at home. I use a FP for everything I write unless there's a specific reason I can't and in those cases I usually have to borrow one unless I have my Retro 51 rollerball handy. I always carry a FP, even if it's just the TWSBI AL-Sport in my pocket with my keys.

Lately I've taken to re-writing articles (web/magazine/etc...) simply to have and excuse to write with a pen I've been itching to use.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fpquest For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have at least have a dozen journals of all different types laying around. Personal, brainstorming, food/work out diary, inspiration, reading journal, work ideas... and so on. I also like to take notes on instructional or informative books I'm reading, as it helps you retain information better. It also helps me make sure I'm constantly reading and teaching myself something new. I write everything by hand. To-do lists, monthly, weekly, and daily schedules, grocery lists, etc.

You could also pick up a pen pal, write a novel, or teach yourself a new script if you want to keep your pens busy.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I usually don't have much to say either,though I have a journal
    (for pens and inks and the odd times that I've been to the Miami Pen Show). But I have used
    them for "to-do" notes and crossword puzzles(even though I do make mistakes on them!).

I also use them when writing to a friend from time to time.

John
    Last edited by pengeezer; January 4th, 2014 at 12:26 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pengeezer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you all for all those great ideas. I now see I'm not alone trying to use them as often as possible, and sometimes just to be using. In the first week I wrote everything I heard in the house just to familiarize with my pen/pens. Working with a pen really lets you put your brain onto the desk and I saw me solving some long lasting project problems in an hour after writing down everything I could think about that problem.

Hmm, writing to a friend needs having a readable hand writing Well I'm improving for sure. Too soon to start calligraphy but working with italic nibs lets your writing stand out and reach more personal. Now that you say, I remembered I had a friend far away. It will most probably take at least two weeks from Turkey to the US but still could be a nice gesture to a friend up alone in Wisconsin. And maybe a proof of improvement for future reference.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kokopelli For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 4th, 2014)

Thanks

It's ironic that in this day and age we(editorial) have to
    think of things to write about when at the time the pens were being used
    it was a natural thing to do.

John

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cookies View Post
    I have at least have a dozen journals of all different types laying around. Personal, brainstorming, food/work out diary, inspiration, reading journal, work ideas... and so on. I also like to take notes on instructional or informative books I'm reading, as it helps you retain information better. It also helps me make sure I'm constantly reading and teaching myself something new. I write everything by hand. To-do lists, monthly, weekly, and daily schedules, grocery lists, etc.

You could also pick up a pen pal, write a novel, or teach yourself a new script if you want to keep your pens busy.
    I never had journals, well maybe one or two for quick hint circuit drawings in those school times. Maybe I should start keeping records of things I find. I have many interests but never thought of building a blog. Maybe this can be a start.

Quote Originally Posted by sumgaikid View Post
    It's ironic that in this day and age we(editorial) have to
    think of things to write about when at the time the pens were being used
    it was a natural thing to do.

John
    And using pens said to prevent Alzheimer's. People used to think more in the old days. Many of us just consume now.

Thanks

I would definitely suggest journals and letter writing.

The great thing with letter writing, is that you can write out ideas, notes, and drafts, as you go through the day...then settle down to your 'bestest' handwriting, on some nice paper, during the evening. Brilliant excuse for lots of writing.
    Malcolm

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malcolm For This Useful Post:

kaisnowbird (January 5th, 2014), kokopelli (January 5th, 2014)

Thanks

I use them to draw and doodle. You do not have to be good to draw about 1000 noses, 20 cats, 15 grumpy faces, and two smiley faces. One simple squiggly line can look like many things. Have fun!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (January 12th, 2014), kokopelli (January 6th, 2014)

Thanks

Great ideas guys.

I write at least three god things from my day into a cheap nopebook, every day, that isn't hard to do.
    I love to practice my handwriting and calligraphy skills, and I love to draw, so that's mainly what I use my pens for.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BikerBabe For This Useful Post:

kokopelli (January 6th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BikerBabe View Post
    Great ideas guys.

I write at least three god things from my day into a cheap nopebook, every day, that isn't hard to do.
    I love to practice my handwriting and calligraphy skills, and I love to draw, so that's mainly what I use my pens for.
    That is a great practice. Not only for the hobby but also for a better life. We try to do this with my family, as a bed time talk in my daughters bed. It makes a great opportunity to share feelings in the family. Everybody tells three good things and three bad things happened at the end of the day.

Thanks BikerBabe. Upon your idea, I just started a new notebook for this purpose this morning.
    Last edited by kokopelli; January 6th, 2014 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,090 Times in 4,026 Posts

"And on the 17th Day, God said 'Nope, guys, you can't do that, no way, notgonnahappen, nope-a-roony!'"

I couldn't resist.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

inlovewithjournals (January 12th, 2014), Tracy Lee (January 7th, 2014)

Senior Member spotted and speckled's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes to all of the above. I also send daily postcards with a scripture on it to my husband. I write a few pen pals. I write people I know in person, or relatives even. I take notes in church. I take notes from books I am reading, because one day the book will find another home and I will be left with my notes. Then there's penmanship practice and one day I will start trying copperplate or uncial, or just pain old more drawing, not just designs or geometrics, with pen & ink.
    Much Love--

--Virginia

27. The Following User Says Thank You to spotted and speckled For This Useful Post:

kokopelli (January 7th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kokopelli View Post
    I lately fell into this hobby and quickly gained a nice collection of pens in a couple of months. Bought many bottles of ink, mostly blue and blue blacks, and I now try to import greens and browns into my daily routine.

I made a wish for a training so that I could take notes and my wish became true in a couple of days. I took a months worth of notes in a single day and tried many inks and pens. I now write everything down to schedule my day, to make a self discussion on a development topic etc. I'm an electronics engineer so there isn't much I can take notes of at work as they are preferably made on computers to share with others.

I really love to carry a set of pens everywhere I go and keep meeting notes in my notebooks, try to make notes for the day after, but mainly writing "the quick brown fox..." routines everywhere.

I need more excuses to use my pens and inks so I would like to hear your daily FP uses if you please.

Thanks in advance.

Seckin, TR
    Oh, lots of things. I do pen and ink reviews for my blog...and I'm getting back into them after a layoff. I write first drafts of fan fics.

I keep a couple of journals, one daily all-purpose, a few others for dedicated purposes, such as Handy Innerwebs Tips.

I write letters, even if my pen pals don't know what a fountain pen is.

Daily notes, shopping and to-do lists. Lists of books I have by certain authors. Lists of books I want. Long rants trying to figure out which of my pens and/or inks I want to sell/trade.

We were thinking of doing another documentary. Notes for that, as soon as I pick out the right notebook.

Sketches, too, actually. A whole teeny book of them, though I haven't started another yet.

Lately, some vignettes.

Hope that helps.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,808 Times in 1,648 Posts

Once you get started.....

2 journals
    1 To Do notebook
    1 Tiny leather bound book of handwritten favorite prayers
    Pen pal correspondence
    My "handwriting improvement program" of italic practice...
    Notes for a talk I'm giving
    Notes to a class I'm taking

31. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    "And on the 17th Day, God said 'Nope, guys, you can't do that, no way, notgonnahappen, nope-a-roony!'"

I couldn't resist.
    Oh no?
    Watch me!

Quote Originally Posted by kokopelli View Post
    That is a great practice. Not only for the hobby but also for a better life. We try to do this with my family, as a bed time talk in my daughters bed. It makes a great opportunity to share feelings in the family. Everybody tells three good things and three bad things happened at the end of the day.

Thanks BikerBabe. Upon your idea, I just started a new notebook for this purpose this morning.
    You're welcome, it's a good thing to do and a very nice and good habit to teach your kids in my opinion.

The cool thing is that on good days there's plenty of good stuff to write, and on bad days you can still feel grateful for actually having a roof over your head, a bed to sleep in, food to eat amd family and friends that care about you. *thumbs up*
    Or that the internet works and plenty of other small things.
    Last edited by BikerBabe; January 7th, 2014 at 08:39 PM.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BikerBabe For This Useful Post:

inlovewithjournals (January 12th, 2014), Jon Szanto (January 7th, 2014)

Thanks

so true.

It is sometimes like, "best thing happened was, that my wife opened the door, when I rung the bell, once again"

35. The Following User Says Thank You to kokopelli For This Useful Post:

inlovewithjournals (January 12th, 2014)