Thread: Lefty Question

Thanks

Default Lefty Question

I'm a lefty. I've never had a problem writing with a normal fountain pen. (I do not drag my hand through the ink, because my hand is below the line of my writing.)

Here's my question: If I'm this particular kind of writer, is there any reason to try a "left-handed" nib? What's different about a lefty nib anyway? Is it just a gimmick?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

I do not know- I use the regular kind myself. I'm a lefty underwriter also.

Thanks

Well, I'm a left-handed underwriter myself, and have probably 50 pens or so, none of which have a "left-handed" nib. I'm assuming by saying "left-handed" you're referring to an oblique nib slanted for use by a left-handed person? I don't think I've ever even seen one. I have a couple of cursive Italics and stubs and have no problems writing well with any of my pens.

Of course, I'm so used to dealing with a right-handed world that I can't make left-handed scissors cut, either.

One of the advantages of being an underwriter when you're left-handed, I think, is that the process is so similar to how right-handed people write. I think it makes it easier in terms of what tools you can use. In fact, my mother insisted I have extra penmanship lessons in grade school (wow, doesn't that make me sound old! Really, I'm not quite doddering yet!) so that I'd break the "hook" habit I was starting to develop.

Regular nibs can be tuned to suit particular writing styles; Richard Binder has a part of his website devoted to the issue.
    "Expect a most agreeable letter, for not being overburdened with subject (having nothing at all to say), I shall have no check to my genius from beginning to end." --Jane Austen

My blog: Does This Pen Make Me Look Fat? Twitter: @penfatness

Thanks

Thanks! Very encouraging. I never did the 'hook' thing, thank goodness. I have a younger brother who does, and his writing is frightening.

I wondered if an italic nib would work well for me. Sounds like it might be no problem. Can't wait to try!

Thanks

It depends on the angle of your paper too, and which direction you write in.

I am a leftie slight overwriter. More of a "pusher" but depending on my sitting posture I may overwrite.
    Have never tried left-handed nibs before, but to me, it seems the main problem is that the nib scratches against the paper making it unpleasant to write. To counter this problem I smooth the nib out on a nail buffer (or sandpaper, for some people) until the nib is smooth and to my liking. So I never found the need to purchase left-handed nibs.
    For dip nibs, especially italic ones, they aren't exactly "smooth-able" this way, so I either turn the paper 90 degrees clockwise and write vertically down the page (to enable my italic nib to face the correct direction and angle), or use an oblique nib holder.

Hope it helps!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

I'm also left-handed and never tried a LH nib (not that you see too many available). With my short attention span, lack of discipline and type of notepad I alternate between over and under writing

I recall there was a topic on FPN which discussed eight or more styles of left-handed positioning while writing.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"