Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Budget practice paper for FP?

Thanks

Default Re: Budget practice paper for FP?

I use Domtar 30lb printer paper and print my own lines on it. I like sugarcane paper too but have not been able to find it in the last year.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    @kia

Using a guide sheet gets more difficult as the paper gets thicker.
    I can use a guide sheet under 28# paper OK, but it gets tough with 32# paper.
    The trick is to have a good desk lamp, where there is enough light to get thru the writing paper to the guide sheet underneath. And you have to hold down the writing sheet onto the guide sheet.
    Even better, but highly unlikely, is to use a light table with the light coming from below. Then the guide sheet will be easily seen.

I found that as much as I like the convenience of ruled/lined paper, it distracts from certain ink colors and nib sizes. This is especially so with blue ink out of a XF nib, where the thin blue ink line visually competes with the blue lines. It would be much better if the lines were light gray, rather than the blue/green that most are. But unlined paper is best for this situation.

For drawing pencil lines. Use a HARD pencil, sharpen it and press lightly, so the pencil line is thin and light, the fountain pen should not have a problem with it.
    Tip, use the drafting technique of rolling the pencil in your finger as you draw it across the paper along side the straightedge. This keeps the point pointy, rather than flattening into a chisel.
    I do the desk lamp under the table bit once in a while but I have a glass top desk. I bought a string of LED rope lights (they are on clearence now) to permanently install under my desk but have not figured a way to attach it that looks good. Using Onion Skin paper makes for very easy guide line using paper. A lot of vintage onion skin pads even came with the guide sheet. It is just more difficult to find. JBB's Etsy store has the paper. I found vintage unused pads on eBay for what I consider a good price but it may be pricy for others.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

@KI
    As a kid, I remember letter writing pad with thin translucent paper as you described. You slipped the guide sheet under the paper and wrote. I think it was labeled as air mail letter paper.
    There was a heavier letter paper that was more like regular paper, which is what I used when I wrote letters to friends and family.

I went to the local stationary shop and they only had lined letter paper, no "air mail" type paper.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    @KI
    As a kid, I remember letter writing pad with thin translucent paper as you described. You slipped the guide sheet under the paper and wrote. I think it was labeled as air mail letter paper.
    There was a heavier letter paper that was more like regular paper, which is what I used when I wrote letters to friends and family.

I went to the local stationary shop and they only had lined letter paper, no "air mail" type paper.
    Yup, air mail letter paper is it. I have been using it quite a bit lately.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot