Thread: How To Make a Pen Kimono

Thanks

Default How To Make a Pen Kimono

For those inclined to make one, here are the materials needed:
    • Japanese crepe fabric aka. Chirimen
    • Microfibre. Anything good enough to wipe your pen would do.
    • Ribbon or string
    • Iron on cloth adhesive tape.
    • Tools used: Iron, Scissors, Sewing kit, sewing machine*, rotary cutter*.

Steps:
    1. Cut both fabrics to size. Mine was 4" x 12", and it's enough to fit a MB 149. Adapt accordingly.
    2. Iron the cloth adhesive tape to the chirimen overlapping each other by about 2 mm, then gently remove the tape backing.
    3. Then attach the microfibre to the above, again, by ironing.
    4. Trim the unglued edges on the rotary cutter.
    5. Fold outside in, sew (3 mm from the edge) from the bottom, turn to about 3/4 way up, then turn it inside out.
    6. Attach string about 100 mm in the middle so that you can just wrap that bit onto the long roll.
    7. Now push in the bottom part, sew, then finish with ironing the whole thing.

Phew. Now that I realized what it takes to make one of these, I reckon $20 asking price from Nakaya is quite reasonable. But if this idiot can do it, so can you!

TR
    Last edited by Tony Rex; December 29th, 2013 at 05:46 AM. Reason: addendum, typos, ima moron

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tony Rex For This Useful Post:

85AKbN (December 29th, 2013), amk (March 13th, 2020), ethernautrix (December 29th, 2013), Goldfish (December 29th, 2013), kaisnowbird (December 29th, 2013), klpeabody (January 5th, 2014), subramaniyam (December 29th, 2013), ypsilanti (January 5th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 819 Posts

Default Re: How To Make a Pen Kimono

Looks good, nice ryoba as well.
    Michael

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

Tony Rex (December 29th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MY63 View Post
    Looks good, nice ryoba as well.
    Michael
    Thanks mate. I've been following your leather exploits as well, but on FPN. I remember your nice wraps as well. The ryoba was lying around begging to be photographed

And just in case anyone was wondering, the notebook was Muji B5 with origami paper pasted on the cover, I haven't had the chance to order a leather cover for it. Probably from curnow, later.

Thanks

It is funny you should mention those wraps I have some really smart leather I was thinking of making a wrap.
    I may have some birthday cash spare soon and have always wanted a nice ryoba saw but I am not able to use one at the moment.
    Why not make a leather cover for your note book it is not as difficult as it looks.

Thanks

Cheers Michael, you've got a point and certainly the mad skills to back it up. I really can't reply to that reasonably, but subjectively I can: I'm a sucker for Design.Y luxury leather notebooks, and got used to them. And I'll never be able to DIY as good.

And would like to try out curnow from Dan's glowing review: http://fpgeeks.com/2013/08/curnow-bo...tebook-review/

As I really like Muji notebook paper, I thought it'll be cheaper in the long run to get a nice cover for them instead of full on Tomoe river + Italian leather all the time. Hope that makes sense
    Last edited by Tony Rex; December 29th, 2013 at 06:24 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Rex For This Useful Post:

85AKbN (December 29th, 2013)

Thanks

Nice!! Now I have to make a trip to craft stores. Thanks, トニレツさん!

Thanks

LOL. Tha Goldfish-san ... Or rather, Kingyo-san

Thanks

This is going to sound mad but I dont really do note books mostly due to the fact that I still struggle to hold a pen for more than a few minutes at a time.
    It is a funny thing but the black leather i have for a wrap is Italian high quality bag leather I got a decent size piece from my suppliers scrap bin for a few pounds.

Thanks

Nice Toledo!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 85AKbN For This Useful Post:

Tony Rex (January 5th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Rex View Post

For those inclined to make one, here are the materials needed:
    • Japanese crepe fabric aka. Chirimen
    • Microfibre. Anything good enough to wipe your pen would do.
    • Ribbon or string
    • Iron on cloth adhesive tape.
    • Tools used: Iron, Scissors, Sewing kit, sewing machine*, rotary cutter*.

Steps:
    1. Cut both fabrics to size. Mine was 4" x 12", and it's enough to fit a MB 149. Adapt accordingly.
    2. Iron the cloth adhesive tape to the chirimen overlapping each other by about 2 mm, then gently remove the tape backing.
    3. Then attach the microfibre to the above, again, by ironing.
    4. Trim the unglued edges on the rotary cutter.
    5. Fold outside in, sew (3 mm from the edge) from the bottom, turn to about 3/4 way up, then turn it inside out.
    6. Attach string about 100 mm in the middle so that you can just wrap that bit onto the long roll.
    7. Now push in the bottom part, sew, then finish with ironing the whole thing.

Phew. Now that I realized what it takes to make one of these, I reckon $20 asking price from Nakaya is quite reasonable. But if this idiot can do it, so can you!

TR
    Gorgeous! Good on you for figuring out how to do it, actually doing it, and then letting us know how you did it!

It is probably entirely me because I do not always understand descriptions of things, particularly when you have to fold them, so I don't understand quite how this is going together. I take it that what you end up with is a bag, about 1 and 3/4 or 1/12 inches wide, a bit over 11 inches long, of Kimono cloth lined with microfiber?

If this is the case I think I see another way to do it (there are a number of ways to do anything, but this way I am thinking of relieves me of the need to figure out what you're doing with the tape, which might be easier. Or not. Depends on the person probably.)

However, I could be missing something essential here.

In which case, I am floating at sea...

And your pen kimono is still fantastic

T

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scrivelry View Post
    It is probably entirely me because I do not always understand descriptions of things, particularly when you have to fold them, so I don't understand quite how this is going together. I take it that what you end up with is a bag, about 1 and 3/4 or 1/12 inches wide, a bit over 11 inches long, of Kimono cloth lined with microfiber?
    Yes, here is the basic idea with my quickie step by step sketch (pen pr0n thrown in):

Notes:
    - Turning it inside out (from step 4 to 5) could be a bit challenging, especially when the fabric is thick, so the thinner the better.
    - You'll end up with something like a sleeping bag on the left there, and as you can see, the bottom part must be folded in as per steps 6 to 7.

Of course, there are so many ways to Rome, or Tokyo, and I'm interested in yours. I sort of deliberately left out but the crucial details so that we can share our tales
    Last edited by Tony Rex; January 6th, 2014 at 07:27 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Rex For This Useful Post:

klpeabody (January 5th, 2014)