Page 60 of 70 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1399

Thread: What Was the Last Book You Read?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 637 Posts

Default Re: What Was the Last Book You Read?

Edward Albee's "The Goat or Who is Sylvia?". Wow...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

Read this a while ago, but think of it frequently as I read the daily news.

He's really good at predicting the effects of climate change and fractious politics and dramatising them at a human scale, as they affect his characters.

Thanks

I first read Charles Darwin's Voyage of The Beagle in my twenties. On a re-reading fifty years later it is just as enjoyable. He was not only a scientist with an enormous breadth of knowledge but he was a natural writer. It's hard to believe that it was written so long ago. One can follow the development of his thinking which would lead to On The Origin of Species many years later.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (December 12th, 2021), welch (January 5th, 2022)

Thanks

Termination Shock by Neal Stephenson. Not as cerebral as some of his work, but up-to-the-moment and fiercely engaging.

The various strands come together by the end: the human aspects of climate apocalypse.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,813 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christof View Post
    I could send you my copy if you want. Just let me know.
    I really would love to know if you ever got the book I sent you. You did not answer to several PM's...

Thanks

The Lucifer Effect by Philip Zimbardo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 355 Posts

Greetings .

The Glass Bead Game . by Hermann Hesse

First time I attempted it couldn't get past the early pages .....and the second ...and the third !!

But then wow ...couldn't put it down, and since then ( many years ago ) I've read it several times and it never fails to blow me away.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Robalone For This Useful Post:

welch (January 5th, 2022)

Thanks

Read several of Hesse's books many years ago: Demian, Steppenwolf, Narziss und Goldmund, and The Glass Bead Game/Magister Ludi. I recall being impressed but perhaps not entirely engaged.

Just finished a recent historical fiction by Nuala O'Conor, from the point-of-view of Nora Barnacle, the lifelong companion and, finally, wife, of the Irish writer James Joyce.

It's very deft and intelligent while being scupulously accurate as biography. O'Conor lends Barnacle dignity, wit, and a rich Irish vernacular.

Highly recommended, especially for fans of Joyce.
    Last edited by Chip; December 27th, 2021 at 02:38 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (December 28th, 2021)

Thanks

While we enjoy pens, writing, this website and the books we read others are not so fortunate. I read today that 43 million US adults have low literacy. That basically means they may not be able to read and understand a book written for 7 to 8 year olds! One third of the adults in Houston TX are functionally illiterate. The majority of adults in England read at or below the 11 to 14 year old age group. I was gobsmacked when I read this. Imagine for a moment trying to find a good, well-paid job and not being able to read and fill out an application form much less compose a CV! Consider also how illiteracy or low literacy must contribute to poverty and everything that goes with it.

Now I want to -- need to -- see how in this COVID dominated and regulated world I can support an adult literacy programme in my community.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (December 27th, 2021), VertOlive (March 5th, 2022), welch (January 5th, 2022)

Thanks

In my area of the world, we have programs to volunteer to help adults learn to read. It's a noble cause, one that's well worth looking into. It's amazing that the numbers seem to keep growing in regards to (il)literacy, and that's a crime. The world of books is such a great place.

Thanks

I just finished Clive Cussler's Isaac Bell "The Cut Throat". I love the time period the series is set in, from the 1890's-1920's.
    Last edited by Penlover1967; December 28th, 2021 at 12:08 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    The Apollo Murders a thriller by Chris Hadfield, a Canadian astronaut who posted a viral clip of his version of David Bowie's Space Oddity, performed on the International Space Station. As you might guess, the factual details are impeccable, and create a solid basis for much of the action. Highly recommended.

I'd love to read that! I'm a space lover, and read guide to life on Earth. I didn't know he was writing his own fiction stories.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Penlover1967 View Post
    In my area of the world, we have programs to volunteer to help adults learn to read. It's a noble cause, one that's well worth looking into. It's amazing that the numbers seem to keep growing in regards to (il)literacy, and that's a crime. The world of books is such a great place.
    Yes, it is criminal. When we think through how limiting illiteracy is, it becomes what can only be described as an enslavement. It prevents one from being able to learn what his or her rights are, to fully benefit from education, to learn ways to earn a better income, increase wealth, improve basic living skills, and even access better living conditions. The saying is that 'Knowledge is power' is true. To deny one the capacity to read and understand what he or she reads by not providing resources and assistance effectively limits their individual power, potential, and control of one's life and lifestyle. And yes, it robs them of entertainment and the joys of the written word too.

Thanks

I've taken some (in my spare time, mostly) offline time and in preparation for my second child, who's coming any day now, I've read a lot because I for sure won't have any time next year. I think the list is complete, but I probably missed out something.

Here's what I read in past 3 months:
    -The Count of Monte Cristo. I had it in better memory. If this were released today, I do not think it would have been valued as highly as it is.
    -The Old Man and the Sea. Amazing tale that makes you feel like you're right there, alone with the old man.
    -The Stranger. A classic. Loved it when I first read it, loved it now.
    -Moby Dick. Not for me. Hundreds of pages on whale biology and nomenclature? I found it very tedious at times.
    -One Hundred Years of Solitude. Amazing book, flows extremely well, highly recommend it with caveat that the reader should go with the flow as well, and not try to understand it entirely. The massacre scene that happened, but didn't, will stick with me forever.
    -We. Re-read, still loved it. To me better than Huxley / Orwell, if nothing else it was the first.
    -The Elementary Particles. What can I say, I love Houellebecq, even if some of the profanity is not necessary in my eyes, and the age of shocking the audience with sex is gone. I read him for his social commentary.
    -Metamorphosis. A must read, a classic. Genius and comedic.
    -The Alchemist. Just lovely. A wonderful tale of adventure.
    -Heart of Darkness. Love Apocalypse Now, but found this one difficult to follow. Don't know why, the language seemed excessively confusing at times.
    -The Road. This one shocked me. When I was a teen I hated this book. Now I loved it and it brought me to the brink of tears. I guess I can put myself in the shoes of a father much better now.
    -The Plague. Again, a classic. Quite terrifying how close some of the happenings are to what we're going through nowadays.
    -The Catcher in the Rye. One of the very, very few American books I enjoyed.
    -Mythos. I love Greek mythology, so I loved this. Planning to read the whole series of Stephen Fry. He brought Greek mythology to life and up to speed for modern life.
    -The Trial. Kafka at his finest. Loved the commentary on how some people just love to mass behind a scapegoat. Very valid criticism for today still.
    -White Nights. Dostoyevsky is probably the greatest author of all time, and even short stories like these show why he's a master. The dialogue here is some of the best you'll ever read.
    -The Kreutzer Sonata. Sorry Tolstoy, I love you, but this was way too much moralization even for me.
    -War and Peace. Third re-read for me, not much to say, one of the best books ever written. Everyone should read this.
    -Anna Karenina. Not for me. Whenever Anna is not present (for example during sections with Levin), the book picks up dramatically.
    -The Brothers Karamazov. It's up there with the best ever. If nothing else, just the meeting between Ivan and Alyosha should be mandatory reading for everyone in school.
    -Devils. Loved it. Critique of communist-esque ideology before communism was even a thing.
    -The Gambler. Fun and to the point, not the best of Dosto, but worthwhile regardless.
    -Notes from the Underground. Great read. Highly recommended. You ever wanted to hear how a basement dweller sees life? This is for you.
    -The Dream of a Ridiculous Man. It's an extension of a theme that is repeated with Dostoyevsky a lot. Not an essential read whatsoever.
    -The Devil. Meh. Not Tolstoy at his finest.
    -The Death of Ivan Ilyich. As opposed to above, Tolstoy at his finest, in my opinion.
    -How Much Land does a Man Need? Great and fun little read. Not an innovative idea by any stretch, but still a valid one.
    -The Insulted and the Injured. Not Dosto's best by any means, he even makes fun of himself in this book by referencing himself as a hack author for writing this for money, but the beginning will remain in my memory forever.
    -The House of the Dead. I devoured this book. I can't emphasize what an amazing read this is. Do you wonder what life was like in Siberian prisons, what was the economy, the relations, who got there, for what reasons, for how long? Read this. Amazing.

Right now I'm reading through Don Quixote again, as part of subreddit "A year of Don Quixote", where we read a chapter every few days, discuss it, and move on. The plan is to read it slowly for a year. Since we're still quite at the beginning, I welcome anyone to partake. The pace is very slow and really anyone can follow, even the busiest of us. I'm also reading The Idiot.

I'll probably read almost nothing in 2022, so see you in 2023 haha.
    Last edited by adhoc; January 5th, 2022 at 11:26 AM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adhoc For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (January 8th, 2022), welch (January 5th, 2022)

Thanks

A winner of a list, adhoc. Suggestion: Walden, really a funny book. For Moby, the cetology stuff is a long joke, for that poor old devil of a sub-sub-librarian. Oh, and take a look at Hemingway's first publiched short stories, "In Our Time" and "Men Without Women". Better than "Old Man", I think.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to welch For This Useful Post:

adhoc (January 5th, 2022)

Thanks

It's all in your head by Suzanne O'Sullivan. Excellent book.

Thanks

*A Year with G.K. Chesterton: 365 Days of Wit, Wisdom and Wonder* ed. by Kevin Belmonte. I read this book several years ago - I think during 2017 - and wanted to give it another go during 2021. Very worthwhile for fans of GKC.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (April 12th, 2022)

Thanks

Since I really liked Nuala O'Connor's novel Nora, written from the point-of-view of James Joyce's longtime companion, Nora Barnacle, I got an earlier novel, Miss Emily.

The main characters are the poet Emily Dickinson and her Irish maid and cook, Ada Concannon, with the point-of-view alternating between them. It's beautifully written, with acute insight into human affairs and brilliant descriptive writing as well.

O'Connor is a rare jewel!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Currently reading Main Street by Sinclair Lewis.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (January 8th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
    I've taken some (in my spare time, mostly) offline time and in preparation for my second child, who's coming any day now, I've read a lot because I for sure won't have any time next year. I think the list is complete, but I probably missed out something.

...snip...
    I am seriously envious of your pace!
    Dostoyevsky is in my top 3 all-time authors and the reason I have a degree in Russian.

Currently making my way through Demons for the first time, taking it slow and savoring it. I do not have the appetite for FD that I had in my 20s, it's been a decade+ since I had the fortitude to pick anything of his up.

I dip in and out of books, rarely actually finishing one, which I think is fine. Here's the list of books I've picked up over the last month or so:

Roughing It, Mark Twain. Underrated, hilarious wall-to-wall. Twain is also in my top 3 authors.
    A Pattern Language and The Timeless Way of Building, Christopher Alexander. Wish I'd found these earlier. The concept of the Pattern Language is an incredibly powerful tool for anyone undertaking a creative project of any sort. Alexander was concerned with architecture. These books were quite expensive and worth every penny.
    A Guide for the Perplexed, EF Schumacher. Just getting into this, I quite like it. Scientism was also a problem in the 70s also, I'll be damned.
    The Anarchist Handbook, Michael Malice, editor. I was over 40 when I learned the word that describes my politics is anarchist. This is a great collection of historical anarchist writing featuring towering intellectuals from the left and the right.
    Two Cheers for Anarchism, James C Scott. This was my aha I'm an anarchist book. I reread it often, it's fantastic. You might be more of an anarchist than you thought, find out here.
    The Gulag Archipelago, Alexandr Solzhenitsyn. AS is the third in my top 3 all-time authors. This one is very painful to read given current events.
    Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Friedrich Nietzsche. Poorly understood by so many, it's important to remember that one of humanity's greatest philosophers was also a total loser. I love him though.
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams. Sometimes I want to have fun reading, most of the stuff I read is very difficult (for me) to pick up. HG is pure fun.

thanks for reading! Books kick ass.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

adhoc (January 10th, 2022), Lady Onogaro (April 26th, 2022)